If you see the snake...

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

If you see the snake...

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Hisss and hers: When women are best at spotting snakes
By AFP | AFP – 17 hours ago....

A Python snake is shown to the media in the Florida Everglades in 2011. Women who have just finished ovulating are better at detecting snakes than at other times of their menstrual cycle, according to an unusual study that sheds light on in-built reflexes for survival
....Women who have just finished ovulating are better at detecting snakes than at other times of their menstrual cycle, according to an unusual study that sheds light on in-built reflexes for survival.

Nobuo Masataka of Japan's Kyoto University tested 60 healthy women of child-bearing age at three different phases of their cycle.

They were simultaneously shown nine pictures, one of which was a snake among flowers while the others were only of flowers.

The volunteers were tested on how quickly they spotted the serpent.

The fastest women were those who were in the so-called luteal phase of their menstrual cycle, or the stage that immediately follows ovulation.

The study strengthens theories that we have a "fear reflex," or an innate response to threat signals such as potentially poisonous snakes, Masataka believes.

Previous research has found this trait among infants aged as young as eight months and even among non-human primates.

Among women, the reflex seems to be influenced by hormone levels at a stage when they could be pregnant and thus be more protective towards their foetus, the study suggests.

"It could contribute to women's ability to increase their vigilance towards biologically relevant threatening stimuli around themselves during this period of possible pregnancy," it says.

The paper was published on Thursday in the British journal Scientific Reports.

Article and photo's from: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hisss-hers-wom ... 54307.html

The big question is...Does this work on the Snakes of Luxor? ;)

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Maakari

Re: If you see the snake...

Post by Maakari » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 pm

No, I don't think it works in most of the cases,is it to do with the fact that the really venomous vipers get their fangs into post- menopausal ladies. Obviously nature has done her job, and the hormones that release eggs at ovulation time have packed their bags and gone, therefore ovulation does'nt occur, leaving these vulnarable creatures without the accumen to spot a "SNAKE!"
We can see many poisonous variety of snake in Luxor, each has it own unique appearance and territory. Most are easily scared off and their hiss is worse than their bite. Some set up a vipers nest with an unsuspecting victim, just impart a little bite of " I REALLY LOVE YOU VENOM" then their habitat is secured, Be it for a week or 2, or until another variety of tasty fare comes along. The ones that are the real nasties of this reptilian race are the lesser spotted, greasy slippery ones. These are spotted quite easily, they are not shy creatures, they are survivors in their local surroundings and know all the banks, estate agents, and car lots.When they bare their fangs, they mean business. They are very good at deception, they lull their victim into a false sense of security, their hiss is a soothing lullaby to the ears of their prey................but then these dangerous Asps deliver the fatal blows, they suck the life and money from their victims and then slither back to their nest to wait for the next tast tidbit to arrive.

BEST WISHES MAAKARI ATTENBOROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

If it looks like a snake - apply caution.
If it says it's not a snake - move away.
If it say's it's not a snake and it want's to protect you from snakes - Run for you life!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm

I hate to butt in on the ladies page other than asking for underwear, but does that mean if, I got 5 ovulating young russians from hurgharda that they would clean my house ?......sounds very cool......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

:skip: I am so grateful that I did not go to Egypt, when I was young and naive - now it seems that I got here just in time! :bg:

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 pm

I saw this yesterday, and thought, "how the hell did someone notice that" ? :tk

Obviously these "scientists" have way too much time on thier hands trying to find and solve "first world" problems.

I am well aware of the fact that lizards will rip the face off a menstruating teenage girl, and that is why mate who owns a reptile and raptor sanctuary in Graigfechan, ends up with so many of these creatures in his care.

A fairly useful fact that should not be ignored.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:I saw this yesterday, and thought, "how the hell did someone notice that" ? :tk

Obviously these "scientists" have way too much time on thier hands trying to find and solve "first world" problems.

I am well aware of the fact that lizards will rip the face off a menstruating teenage girl, and that is why mate who owns a reptile and raptor sanctuary in Graigfechan, ends up with so many of these creatures in his care.

A fairly useful fact that should not be ignored.. :cg

EH??? :ni:

Really???

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Remembered reading this before and was thinking that Dusak's friend might do better to get a WOMAN to capture the snakes about her house than waiting for the Snake MAN ;) ;) (should the snake return)