Doctor Doctor!

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Doctor Doctor!

Post by hatusu »

Could the L4U medical panel advise please? I have a non-life threatening but very painful problem. I have used Veet/Immac deplatory for years and years now with no problems. Yesterday I used it again in several places and now my armpits are in agony! This is the first time this has ever happened -I didnt leave it on too long, it started stinging after just 2 mins and I took it off immediately. Its still stinging today, despite me putting aloe on it. Its not just a rash there now - it looks, and the skin feels, like a proper burn mark. It cant be the product at fault - I used the same tube on my legs anbd other Important Little Places (which you would think would be more sensitive than my armpits!)
Any advice on what could have caused it?

Scott

Post by Scott »

Well, dermatological probs are notoriously diff to diagnose but why let that stop me!!!

Normally, I would suspect, as it is only the one area, that you might have shaved - 'roughened' - the skin and it was thus irritated - HOWEVER - I think you ruled that possibility out. Also, with the recent incredible heat you may have some 'open' pores!!!

May I suggest what we call the 'shotgun' approach?
Normally not recommended but, with time, will probably clear it up.
Something like TriDerm cream - essentially cortisone and antibiotic. Also something like BBC spray will give you antiseptic with analgesic (pain relief).

These are temporary and nonspecific - but gentle - they should help.

In any case - best advice is to see a dermatologist if it doesn't clear up quickly - maybe a day or so.

I DEFER to anyone with better advice - I'm no expert!!!!!

Best,
Scott

!
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Certain hormones can make the skin much more sensitive. Are you pregnant or on your period?

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

There is an excellent dermatologist opposite Qurna hospital - I've had good treatment for a leg rash from him. The sign outside says Dermatologist in English, so I'd take a trip to see him.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

- Please see that dermotolist! Even if it's the good old cream and I hope it's innocent - Veet had a foam, don't know if it's still available, they refused to take it off the market even though it did some serious harm. I'm always worried about what the heat does to your products here in Luxor. I brought some veet wax strips all the way from Cairo to Luxor, and the heat destroyed them so I could hardly get it off the skin, but after fighting with one strip, I just gave up and only had a problem for a few days on a less delicate place than your... armpits ;) - luckily your most sensitive zone...

amanda

Post by amanda »

Go for some laser treatment, it hurts like hell but you'll not have to keep creaming yourself anymore and be nice and smooth all the time. (costs a small fortune though but it's worth it):)
forever, Amanda xx

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Sounds like you've had a chemical reaction with something, like deoderant, that has burned your skin. Follow Scott's advise as he is a doctor. Then go see a doc in person. I'd also try powder instead of cream to calm the area.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Thank you all for your advice. I knew I could rely on you!

Kiya

Post by Kiya »

I didn't realise Scott was a doctor , perhaps he can advise me, I had an Caudal Epidural yesterday with local anaesthetic at base of spine after trying many other creams, pain killers, cortison injections nothing helped at all, athough it was a local I drifted in & out of conciousness & afterwards had to lye flat for 3 hrs for the liquid to travel up & down in my spine.
I didn't notice till I was home a massive red blob appeared over my back & down over bottom....
Is this a normal reaction to Caudal Epidural's or due to anaesthetic or an allergy of some sort??
The blob is still there today

Picture shows partial Blob......not showing my bottom to everyone ;)
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]

Scott

Post by Scott »

Kiya, I'm NOT trying to avoid an answer but with an Epi there are a LOT of possibilities = perforation, diffusion, allergy - I STRONGLY suggest you immediately contact whoever administered the Epi and have an examination. Your varying level of consciousness and need to be supine would concern me.

Wish I could do more but you need a good, fast answer and that would best come from your provider. If there is anything I can help with, just ask. BTW, my field in US was interventional cardiology.

Best, Good Luck, and please let me know what you find, by Red Side PM iif you like.
Scott in Luxor

Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Thanks for your quick response Scott, it would be difficult to get an examination today as I had to attend a hospital in Aberdeen city 32 miles away from me, the best I could at the moment is to phone the ward number & ask for advise, shall do that now & let you know.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Good to hear you are moving fast!

Let me know what happens.
V. Best,
Scott

crazycat

Post by crazycat »

Kiya, it looks to me like the skin prep they use, some stain and one is pinky red in colour, perhaps it could be this
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:

Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Oh I feel such a idiot now, I had a luke warm bath this morning & the red blob was still there but since you wrote about the skin prep I went & scrubbed as hard as I could with soap & face cloth...........its gone what through me off too there was a 4" in circumference red circle around where they put the caudal epidural in now its gone.
When I phoned the ward they told me most likely I had a sedation along with the anaesthetic causing me to drift out & in.

When I've had skin prep with past procedures its been a orange colour & smelt like dettol.

I hope the medical team dont phone me back now :oops:

Scott

Post by Scott »

All's well that ends well!!!!!!

Good News!

Best,
Scott

Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Oh no just what I dreaded the medical team were on the phone a few mins ago confirming sedation with anaesthetic before epidural & most likely because its gone it was the skin prep :oops:
I'll know in the future.

crazycat

Post by crazycat »

at least you know it was nothing serious hope the caudal works. I had 4 facet joint injections on tuesday in hospital, no anaesthetic and am hoping to get back to work soon, will have forgotten what the hospital looks like by the time I get back
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:

Kiya

Post by Kiya »

I've had the facet too in my pelvic joint, I really hope this caudal does work as I'm sick of the pain now for over 15 yrs.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)