Menstrual cups

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks for the input! I bought something called "ethyl alcohol" from the pharmacy, not sure if its ok or not, I was told to buy specifically isopropyl rubbing alcohol but nobody knew what it is...

I haven't been here so long that the thing should be deteriorating (only 1 month).... at least I hope not! I know a few other members have been using theirs in Egypt for a while. The cup should last a good 10 years if treated properly, ie not cleaned with sterilisers containing bleach etc. This is only 10 months old!

I have always kept them in room temperatur, the cup has a storage pouch that i hang on a hook in the bathroom.... maybe trying the fridge is an idea... but surely when in use, the thing is body temperature anyway, so 38 degrees shouldn't be too hot for it????

Will try to look for the sterilising solution Hepzi mentioned, anyone know if its available here?

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Do these menstrual cups leak?particularly when removing it.Secondly how big are these things?

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 pm

My question too. Isn't it messy when removing??? Glad I don't have to worry about all that any longer.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Jojo, I think Geraldine posted some good links in the beginning of the thread. They are about the size of tampon when folded up, they are made of "flexible" silicon so take to the shape of you body and really they are very comfortable. I could always feel tampons inside, but these don't dry you out like tampons do, and I do forget they are there :) (I speak in plural because I have a big one and small one!)

Yes they are a little bit messy if you're not carefull, when you remove it, but not really. I empty it over the toilet so I don't have to look if I don't want to! they don't leak unless you leave it for too long without emptying... that happened to me in Dendera, but I felt it straight away and headed for the ladies room with antibacterial handgel and a bottle of water ;)

anyway I totally love mine, and I wouldn't go without ever again! I've also started using washable pantyliners as a safe guard at night etc with it, instead of disposable ones. Yes I can hear you all going "ewwww", but they are sooooooo much more confortable, i have no idea how I lived the first 24 years of my life with anything else! :)

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:04 pm

PRchick wrote:My question too. Isn't it messy when removing??? Glad I don't have to worry about all that any longer.
Me too :D

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am

SoCalledEgyptologist wrote:anyway I totally love mine, and I wouldn't go without ever again! I've also started using washable pantyliners as a safe guard at night etc with it, instead of disposable ones. Yes I can hear you all going "ewwww", but they are sooooooo much more confortable, i have no idea how I lived the first 24 years of my life with anything else! :)
I guess it can be ewwww too for many people. But don't know why, somebody made us this way and it should be normal...most of you have had or have babies and had to deal with "their less clean side". And like I am sure I said before there is enough garbage in this world (especially in Egypt) - diapers, sanitary napkins etc. It is really great that there are these washable things. We need to think our children and their children etc.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 pm

[face=Comic Sans MS]I wish I had known about such things in my backpack travel days. It would certainly of allowed me to take extra clothing and gifts instead of half a ton of tampons! :roll: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:37 am

So disinfection, or sterilising is working with the ethyl alcohol :)

Here is another question: anyone know if its possible to find ph 3,5, non-perfumed, non "coloured" (ie no additives) liquid soap in Egypt??? I've asked a few pharmacies and they try to give me Johnsons baby shower gel :?

In finland you find these in supermarkets and pharmacies, as a lot of people use them as handsoap if they have sensitive or dry skin or have allergies. There must be some somewhere in Egypt????

I have only a tiny bit left of the soap I brought with me, if I can't find it I just have to pack it with me from Finland next time again :roll:

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:55 pm

I almost dreaded having a peep in the "cups" topic again! :lol:

About the soap - can't think of any off hand, do you know any brand names so I could have a peep in the supermarket for you?

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:19 pm

:)

That's the things, I don't know any that would be international or if the finnish ones are or not. I think in Finland there is some called Lactacyd, lactoplus and avecyd.

Never knew this could be so difficult!!! :oops:

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Never heard of any of those - and for sure haven't seen any in the supermarkets! Looks like you'll be bringing a bag full of that back!

If you think of any others let me know and I'll see if I can see them - but I'll have a poke about in Carrefour when I go next time for you and see what they're hiding in there.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:04 pm

This says "major markets Europe" but I guess you could always ask if they have it somewhere in Egypt?
http://www.gsk.com/products/consumer_he ... ctacyd.htm

Here's some Lactacyd products:
http://womanhealthcenter.egydoc.com/sit ... asp?char=l

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:33 pm

That first link is very usefull thanks Geraldine!

Although it does seem to say there is only lotion and soap "cake" available in egypt :( I might ask around anyway.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Well, I drag this old thread out again

http://www.path-to-better-health.com/sa ... pkins.html

In Finland there are quite strict rules that packages must tell what the product contains etc. It is not so with sanitary napkins. I was amazed the amount of hazardous chemicals they contain (not to mention PERFUM in Egypt, may contain neurotoxins http://www.gorgeouslygreen.com/downloads/Beauty.pdf - http://www.naturalnews.com/001061.html )

I know many wouldn't prefer a menstrual cup but one solution is sanitary napkins made of fabric. Bamboo and hemp are said to be naturally antibacterial but honestly I don't know how well that is studied. Wool is antibacterial though but perhaps not the best in sanitary napkins and it needs to be washed gently. Outer fabric below (to stop leaking) can be pul-fabric (polyurethane laminated).

A cup is fine but I prefer napkins and will sew myself them when I go to Finland (haven't seen PUL-fabric or organic bamboo/hemp here). You can also buy them if you're not good in sewing.

An average woman wears sanitary napkins for 6 years in her life so it matters what kind of sanitary napkins you use :)

Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Now what's Dr Who going to make of all this talk about menstrual cups when he has a quick peek into this section as he sometimes seems to do :roll:
always keep your words soft and sweet just incase you have to eat them

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 am

Cripes! Not the Menstrual Cups topic again!

On saying that though, I did spot some for sale in Ireland, and I did have a peep at the box just to see what they were all about and how much they were.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Goddess wrote:Cripes! Not the Menstrual Cups topic again!
Image :oops:

oldbag

Graphic 'womens things' description alert

Post by oldbag » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Just found this topic :D

I have a mooncup and it's brilliant. I wish I had known about them when I was a teenager. I would have saved a phenomenal fortune over the years.

It really came into its own when I had gynae problems and was bleeding very heavily. I was getting through 20-30 super+ tampons a day and still experiencing massive flooding so having to wear san. towels as well.

The Mooncup needed emptying about 5-6 times a day during that same time. Yes it was full to the brim, but it was no more messy than dealing with heavy bleeding. Tip the contents down the loo, wipe it round with tissue paper, and wash it when I got home. At that time I boiled it daily.

It can take a little while to get used to folding it and putting it in correctly (don't push it up far because then it leaks - it has to sit near the base) and use a panty liner as well (but I did with tampons as well). I find very little leakage.

I've had it about 5 years now and it hasn't deteriorated at all. I boil it at the end of a period (which are rare now) and store it in the cotton bag it came in.

Ecologically, especially living in Egypt, its much better than the usual products.

NB be careful what you clean them with esp no petroleum based products such as vaseline. I use extremely hot soapy water and a good rinse, and boil it every couple of days. Read the leaflets.

oldbag

Post by oldbag » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Mooncup website

http://www.mooncup.com/

PS they don't hurt at all.

In the UK you can buy them in larger Boots branches. There are two sizes = small for teens/20s who haven't had kids, larger for over 30s, people who have had kids or just bigger people!

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

I had heard there are dangers of these cups primarily in causing endometriosis which is a very painful condition i understand, and I hate inserting anything...nope will stick to the kotex ta! Cant stand the things with "wings" and all i could get in egypt were always with wings!! :lol:
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!