Menstrual cups

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

warda

Post by warda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:18 am

I've been away from this forum a long time and when I found this subject I just had to say something. Didn't come to my mind someone else would be brave enough to try these things but I do not know how I lived (menstruated LOL) with out one before.
I have a small mooncup and buying it was a smartest thing I have ever done :)

It's perfect here in Egypt. I used to get nasty rash from sanitary napkins (probably because it's so hot in here) and can't use tampons either. And never again have to send my husband to pharmacy. Poor man doesn't know what to buy and brings the biggest sanitary napkins I ever seen :oops:

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 pm

Given the rave reviews about these things I decided to bite the bullet and order one - 30 bloody euros?!?!?!?!?!

How much???????

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:43 am

Yes it is much but then again it's definitely not. It's is supposed to last at least 5 years but more likely 10 years if you take good care of it (use certain kind of soap when washing it!) so imagine the money you spend on tampons or sanitary napkins during 5 to 10 years. So it's not expensive at all. In addition you get other advantages like some say pains go away a little bit, can agree with that. I don't have a clue how it does that but I'm happy - although I haven't got that much pain ever in the past. Now even less. That's why I said I feel like I don't have periods at all :D

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:33 am

I'm curious! I want to give it a go, no matter how bad it sounds :?

Geraldine - do you have to order it in Finland or can you buy it from a shop anywhere? Where did you order it from?

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Never heard of them!!!! But fascinated all the same! Geraldine, I think you are right about the money you will save; one spends a small fortune over a menstruating lifetime.
Yes, I remember the belt-pad-safety pins combo, when I first started in the early sixties! YUK!!!!!! They would never stay in place.
Without wanting to jinx myself, hope I never need to use anything again as I seem to be finished with all that messing about, insha' allah! 4 months free so far, and counting.
Like the term "mattress"... we used to call them "surfboards", amongst others. Tampons are known here as "vampire's teabags".

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:29 pm

I thought one of the bits of advice offered on the Divacup site was hilarious:
The question posed was: Can it go up too far? Will it get stuck?
After describing various ways of pulling it out, they said if all this fails, we have a help-line you can call... can you imagine the conversation you'd overhear from some poor desperate soul trying to juggle a mobile phone with messy fingers in a public loo!!!!??? :))) :cc (This is me not knowing whether to laugh or cry)

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:49 am

Ok, I bought one!! I tried.... I failed miserably!!!

Without going into too much details - seen as the men have started sneaking in here.... I think my insides must have 'dropped'! :oops: Just wouldn't go up enough - I do think the idea of it is good, and would probably work for most people, although it was a bit messy getting it in and out, you just need to have the right 'shape'! :oops:

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:52 am

I know what you mean AD that's why they would be no good for me either,like wise with tampons my muscles or lack of?just push them back out :?

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:00 am

I dont think it would do for me I am a strictly 'pads only' girl - I always worry about anything inside me :oops: and this toxic shock syndrome you can get with tampons so cups? - NO WAY!!

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 am

JOJO wrote:I know what you mean AD that's why they would be no good for me either,like wise with tampons my muscles or lack of?just push them back out :?
No, I'm fine with them Jojo, would never go back to mattresses, although some days if one has been in a while and I've been on my feet a lot I feel like my insides might fall out!!

No, I think something somewhere has gone adrift, have thought this for a while - might go and ask the doc about it.

Jewel - although TSS is very rare in tampons, there has never been a reported case of it with these cups, I really do think they're a great idea.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:30 pm

They say there are no reported TSS when using menstrual cups.

SCE, I ordered mine from www.kuukuppi.fi

As for the possible leaking part, it's good to exercise with geisha balls - that helps otherwise too than just keeping your menstrual cup inside. As I said earlier, you won't pee in your pants when you're older :lol:

Massinah

Post by Massinah » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:03 am

I have just seen this and read whole lot ,must say one thing never worn a thong but had to explain recently what a thong was to hubby is he thick or what :?:Brought girl new swimming costume he said nice thong ,"huh" i said not a thong they go between the buttocks ,the other that have wide backing are pants ,"oh please give me strength .,anyway its 2am and me off to dye me hair then sleeepy byes.
:le:
Massinah On Luxor

Massinah

Post by Massinah » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Do you know im never actually hear of this before im looked them up intrigued i am ..
:le:
Massinah On Luxor

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:39 am

Hey girls who are using the cup in Egypt! How do you clean it?! :?

I've been using mine now since september and I love it! Now it came time to disinfect it as my period is starting, and i bought a small kettle to boil it. After boiling and letting it dry, the cup was covered in a white powdery substance!!! Hmmm!!! Don't if its the kettle, or the water, as I'm in hurghada.... I also tried with bottled water, not as bad but still powder... can't be very sterile????

So I know you can also disinfect by using a sterile solution you also use for baby bottles and the bits babys suck on. But I don't know how you would ask for it in a pharmacy, or even if you can get it here... Any advice?//?? If I can't sterilise it, I will have to give it up and I don't want to :cry::cry::cry:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 pm

[face=Comic Sans MS]SCE - If your kettle is plastic and new you may need to boil it a few times using fresh water each time. I have noticed this with plastic kettles in the UK too, they are much worse than stainless steel kettles for leaving a 'scum' on the water. It could also partly be a limescale residue (calc) that builds up. There is a small product on the market (certainly in the UK) for putting in the kettle that helps collect the limescale. It is about the size of a bottle stopper/cork but it is made of stainless stell wires that woven together which gives a bit like a sponge in it's cellular structure. (Sorry, best description I can give). You keep it in the kettle all the time and the limescale attaches to it rather than your kettle element and walls. (I can't remember but I think it may be made by Spongtex).

Another thing you may consider is a water filter. They certainly make a difference to the quality of the water and reduce the limscale build up. I don't know if you can get these in Egypt though.

The starilising liquid often used for baby bottles etc is called Milton Strerilising Liquid. I'm not sure but I think you can get it in tablet form too.

The only other suggestion I have is perhaps the tablets that are used for cleaning and sterilising false teeth! I think it's called Steradent.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 pm

I must say - that my kettle doesn't fuzz up half as much over here as it used to do in the UK - water definitely doesn't seem to have much lime in it. But on an almost related note (well sort of!) you don't think it can be the rubber disintegrating?! Sounds bizarre I know and I'm going to stick a really weird story about my dog and her Tweety in here to prove my point - My dog, God love her, had a Tweety Pie toy that she was obsessed with - sucked the thing to death and I think a combination of that and the heat made odd things happen to it - it started with an odd white powder and then degraded to be some really nasty degraded rubber that was too evil to even think of picking up. Odd story to stick in, I know - but my point is that rubber things do tend to decay very easily over here due to the heat - I don't know how long those things are supposed to last (can't believe we're all back here discussing this topic again actually!) but maybe they're supposed to be replaced after a while?!

Gosh that was a lot of help was it not! Probably better listen to Hepzi! At least it will be a bit disinfected that way!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:32 pm

[face=Comic Sans MS]Goddess has a good point there about rubber deteriorating. Depending how and where the cup has been stored when not in use, and probably how it's been cleaned and dried in the past, could well be factors in deterioration.[/face] :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

I was going to suggest storing it in the fridge - but it was just too nasty a thought to suggest!
:lol:

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:11 pm

She could keep it in a box in the fridge with a DO NOT OPEN label on it. But then I bet every single person opening the fridge would look in the box & ask what that was :lol:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:03 am

"She could keep it in a box in the fridge with a DO NOT OPEN label on it. But then I bet every single person opening the fridge would look in the box & ask what that was"

Gives a whole new insight to the legend of Pandora's Box! :snig:
And think how it will feel when inserted, considering the temperature over there right now...that'd get anyone up and dancing! :bd2:
Carpe diem! :le: