Menstrual cups

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Geraldine

Menstrual cups

Post by Geraldine » Sun May 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Does anyone use these? Any comments?

When you read about it, it sounds perfect. It's supposed to be comfortable (sanitary napkins aren't, yuk), hygienic and they save nature and you save your money! I certainly will buy one, but how many of you use a menstrual cup?

http://www.lunette.fi/english_index.html
http://www.divacup.com/
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sun May 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Ewwwwwww! (Didn't know how to spell that!) Sounds plain nasty - sloshing about and emptying - enough said! Feel bit sick after reading that!

Lucy T

Post by Lucy T » Sun May 20, 2007 3:37 pm

Good grief that sounds a right palaver! I'm a tampon bird through and through, couldn't even bring myself to use a sanitary pad :)
Take my advice - I'm not using it.....

thomoll

Post by thomoll » Sun May 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Don't think I'd fancy it myself, and all very well if you're at home, but what if you're at work or out somewhere, and the toilet cubicles are separate from the open cloakroom where the sinks are? Presumably you would need to wash it each time, so it would be a right palaver!

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sun May 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Goddess wrote:Ewwwwwww! (Didn't know how to spell that!) Sounds plain nasty - sloshing about and emptying - enough said! Feel bit sick after reading that!
My thoughts exactly when I first read about this :lol:

But the more i read it sounds fantastic. We've a whole webpage with discussion forum here about menstrual cups :mrgreen: (isn't that funny) and I've been reading it today. There are lot of good sides on menstrual cup you don't even think at first. I don't explain them all here as you can read them in English somewhere else for sure, but one of the things were that tampons will suck all the moisture you have inside, not only menstrual blood...a cup won't.

thomoll, there was explained that you do not need to wash it every time but every other time at least though, you just wipe it with paper. If you cannot wash it at work you can do it home later on.

You cannot use tampons more than 6-8 hours in a row but menstrual cup you can wear more if you have a situation like that.

Everyone seemed so pleased with it, even devoted tampon and sanitary napkin users have changed their minds. I think I will too even though I never liked either of them.

And the ones that have used geisha balls, it's a bit like placing them in :mrgreen: Although you won't do that while having periods :lol:

And if you think that it's *yuk* placing a cup inside...well think how hygienic sex is ;) :roll: :mrgreen: Or changing diapers to a baby etc.
Last edited by Geraldine on Sun May 20, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Sun May 20, 2007 5:28 pm

edit double post again

I decided to buy one mostly because of it's ecological...i cannot even think how much i have used sanitary napkins! They also irritate my skin. Moneywise...well tampons and sanitary napkins are expensive here.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Sun May 20, 2007 5:46 pm

oh i don't know about that :? i can't use tampons so i have got no chance with a cup :oops:

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Just read the link & it was OK until I got to the line
Not tested on animals :oo :lol:
:urm: Definitely another plus for a hysterectomy!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun May 20, 2007 9:18 pm

[face=Arial]I find the idea a bit boggling, espcially if you suffer from heavy or painful periods in the first place. I did see a dispenser for them though recently in a ladies loo at a theatre in Southampton

I do think items of such sanitary wear should be zero rated for tax though. If I could claim back the tax alone on such things as tampons & towels I would have a nice fortune in the bank.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela » Sun May 20, 2007 9:58 pm

When I read the above posts I thought urghhhhh. But reading the info on the websites it actual sopunds quite interesting. Let us know how you get on Geraldine - I might just give it a go myself!

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Mon May 21, 2007 7:30 am

FABlux wrote:Just read the link & it was OK until I got to the line
Not tested on animals :oo :lol:
:urm:
:mrgreen: Sounds scary indeed - if it were tested on animals. Which animal would that be :lol:

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Mon May 21, 2007 7:36 am

Annadongela wrote:When I read the above posts I thought urghhhhh. But reading the info on the websites it actual sopunds quite interesting. Let us know how you get on Geraldine - I might just give it a go myself!
I hopefully will order one in a few days so will let you know as soon as i'm able to try it.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Mon May 21, 2007 2:31 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:[face=Arial]I find the idea a bit boggling, espcially if you suffer from heavy or painful periods in the first place.[/face]
Heavy periods can be a problem - but just read an article 5 mins ago that said many users do not suffer painful periods anymore since started using a menstrual cup.

Discussing about menstrual cups, you notice how little especially young people know about anatomy. Like they think you have to take it off when you pee :roll: No, blood and pee certainly come from different places :mrgreen:

Wills

Post by Wills » Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Very interesting.

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Tue May 22, 2007 5:46 am

:lol::lol::lol: I don't guess any of you girls remember the days when we had to wear sanitary belts and napkins before the stick on days. What a pain. So glad I'm almost past all that.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Tue May 22, 2007 6:30 am

An intreresting fact: a menstrual cup was invented in the 1930's.

Lucy T

Post by Lucy T » Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 am

I'm sure the Ancient Egyptians had some ingenious tecnique (sp?) :)

PR, I've heard of those belt thingys with hook on pads, can't for the life of me think where though :oops:
Take my advice - I'm not using it.....

Ess

Post by Ess » Tue May 22, 2007 1:31 pm

I well remember the dreaded sanitary belts. Yuck!

Tried these cups many years ago (yes- they've been around for a long time). Messy, dirty, leaky...but then, maybe they have improved?

Glad I am beyond all that palaver now.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue May 22, 2007 2:07 pm

PRchick wrote::lol::lol::lol: I don't guess any of you girls remember the days when we had to wear sanitary belts and napkins before the stick on days. What a pain. So glad I'm almost past all that.
[face=Comic Sans MS]Belts with hooks and worse still the half a mattress you had to attach to them and wear between your thighs. :x No don't remember anything like that. :roll: :lol: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue May 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Blimey!! I'm really glad I'm too young to remember any of this - cups and hooky things sound like more than I could bear. I really don't think much of this cup idea and am waiting to see how Geraldine gets on. The picture I looked at just really put me off - didn't like that thing that looked like a hose attachment thing down at the bottom for a start!