Ferry

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Ferry

Post by carrie »

Well I decided to give the ferry a go yesterday. Went to the payment kiosk as usual on the west bank, all very much the same except the steps and railings have all been repainted. A very attractive shade of battleship grey.
So on to the ferry a lot more people wearing masks and a guy going round selling them. He was doing a brisk trade too. Maybe people are catching on?
Then a little sail off to the east, when you get off the ferry there is a lovely little seating area, shaded, excellent for the police when they fancy a little siesta. Then across the little humpy back bridge, which is very pretty on to the lower corniche.
Loads of flowers and grass it really is delightful.
There is a nice cafe with lawn and tables and chairs all surrounded by an iron fence, to which has been attached some plants in hanging baskets.
Looked lovely but I didn't linger. The ferry docks almost directly in front of the Luxor museum.
Up a few steps and on "ground level". The authorities are presently doing a lot of work on the old hospital but didn't look too bad. Then a walk to the main road. Some taxis there and the micro bus passes close by. I learnt later that there is a plan to construct a little bus station there. I walked back towards the ferry and then along towards the Etap.
A couple of shops along there selling drinks and water crisps the usual stuff.
There is the Bank of Alexandria with ATM machines, all this area is pedestrianized so no Caleche drivers bothering anyone. I sat on one of the nice shaded benches for ten mins and had a cig no hassle very nice. Lovely view over the Nile and the mountains beyond.
Then off to meet my friend for lunch.
Got a taxi back to the ferry, sat again and read my book for a little while it was such a delight to be able to sit and not be on guard for the usual rabble.
Went down to the ferry and woe oh woe, I found I had only 200le, the man sitting in a very smart kiosk said yes madam no worries. He then called another guy over who introduced himself and said he was the owner manager of the ferry. He changed my 200 no problem and was delighted to flash the wad of 200le notes he had.
I told him that he was a rich man and he agreed so I asked for baksheesh. This set him and the guy in the kiosk off into convulsions of laughter.
We had a little chat after that and he told me that the police had strict instructions to keep the caleche away from the area and to watch for anyone hassling in that area.
Well time to get on the ferry before I left them the "owner" told the man in the kiosk that I was to be charged Egyptian price on the ferry in future.
All in all a very happy day.
:lol: :lol:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Ferry

Post by newcastle »

I was waiting for the ....BUT THEN..... :lol:

Nice to hear some cheery news. Looks like my trip to Egypt on 12th Jan is in doubt ( Tier 4 regs etc.)...but we’ll see.
Lucky jim

Post by Lucky jim »

so good to read about your trip on the ferry brings back lots of happy memories of taking this trip also of sitting in the winter palace hotel garden what's it like these days ?
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

Strangely enough I am sitting in the WP gardens now having a coffee. I booked myself into the WP for 4 nights as a change from my apartment and it is only £19 per night bed and breakfast - what a snip? I feel quite safe hardly any guests so social distancing is not a problem. All the staff are wearing masks and many wear disposable gloves too. Towels cutlery etc are provided in sealed plastic bags. Great to be pampered again after so long in this lockdown
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Chris wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:30 am Strangely enough I am sitting in the WP gardens now having a coffee. I booked myself into the WP for 4 nights as a change from my apartment and it is only £19 per night bed and breakfast - what a snip? I feel quite safe hardly any guests so social distancing is not a problem. All the staff are wearing masks and many wear disposable gloves too. Towels cutlery etc are provided in sealed plastic bags. Great to be pampered again after so long in this lockdown
I think you posted that just to upset me.

:a7: :a55: :a7: :a55: :a7: :a55: :a7:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Who did you book with Chris? Is the pool warm? I might just join you.
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

Hi Carrie. I booked online through the Accor (Hotel owner) website. It is currently showing $31 per night BB, (I paid $27 because I am a member of the Accor Club), for the Winter Pavilion but as the Pavilion is closed guests are upgraded to the Winter Palace.You can also book direct with the Hotel (Mostafa on the Front Desk is very helpful).
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thanks Chris will give that a try.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I read yesterday some WB lady stated the WB covid rules seemed to differ than the EB.
And she had attended 2 WB weddings in the last few days.

Now I know that there a lot of daft f-----s in this Country and a lot of ex-pats are also daft f*****.
But, going to 2 egyptian weddings smacks of total stupidity in my book. Anytime !
But then, I have never been surprised by the total ignorance of people upon this Planet..

Gobsmacked is the word I'm looking for, A bit like kids don't carry the virus and the Egyptian sun kills it.
Really ? Get real, the virus loves people who hug, kiss, shake hands. "That's what a virus does. Thickos.... 8)

Ps: The Nile does NOT stop a virus only people & science does..
Pss: Finally, I won't be meeting Nick whenever he returns until he's first isolated.
Why ? Simple! 'He's been with you lot and on a sardine can, bus, taxi, train, aeroport, bar, bank ect....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

I forgot to say Carrie that the pool is heated
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"Swimming in a well-maintained, properly chlorinated pool is safe.
However, it is advisable to stay away from al crowded areas including crowded swimming pools.
Keep 1 metre distance from people who sneeze or cough even in a swimming area"

So there you have it! an expert speaks, not me....
But, a few drinkies in The Royal Bar (socks must be worn) later is ok!
Have Fun... 8)
Ps: Nick was once barred by their bar manager, a long time friend, most apologetically for...
"Mr Nikols. "wearing his 'jesus sandals & no socks...oh! the shame of it,
I piped up helpfully 'don't you know Who he is ?...
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

However, it is advisable to stay away from al crowded areas including crowded swimming pools.
Keep 1 metre distance from people who sneeze or cough even in a swimming area"

Somehow, I can’t imagine that being an issue at the Winter Palace at the moment. :lol:
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

It is not a problem only 10 by the pool yesterday, 4 in the restaurant and just me in the bar!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Oh, I enjoyed some peaceful stays there in November and December. Isolating with cocktails in Royal Bar and roomservice, very affordable.

I always love returning to West Bank after such a treat.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

BENNU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 pm Oh, I enjoyed some peaceful stays there in November and December. Isolating with cocktails in Royal Bar and roomservice, very affordable.

I always love returning to West Bank after such a treat.
"It's called pampering oneself and why not ? I reckon we have earned it..one way or another..
So if you've got it flaunt it,
If not, flaunt it anyway and put down to somebody's room number... 8) top tip: nos 186
Sophocles.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Who2 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm
BENNU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 pm cocktails in Royal Bar
if you've got it flaunt it,
If not, flaunt it anyway and put down to somebody's room number... 8) top tip: nos 186
:a6: Most of it was on the house :a87:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Club Accor offered extra points when booking 3X2 nights Before 15 December. Pavillon Winter “room only” cost less than the value of the points I would get! The Pavillon was closed so I stayed at Old Winter Palace for minus fifty gineh per day. They would only let me pay for breakfast three times!

Too lazy to check out after two nights, I decided to book an extra night for € 30 BB, using some of the many points, I have accumulated as a gold member. This was considered a new booking and released one more fruit basket and another Negroni with canapés and fuul Sudane at Royal Bar.
:wi
So, these days I ain’t got it, Who2, and very few people saw me flaunting it, but it felt good!