IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EX PATS AND EGYPTIAN NATIONALS

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EX PATS AND EGYPTIAN NATIONALS

Post by HEPZIBAH »

‎I'm sharing this post, without having sought proir permission, which has been posted on Facebook. I think it is important information to be aware of for those in Luxor. Of course, I cannot verify it, but I understand that it was Georgie Dicker that made the enquiry and so it is written by her.
Hepzi.

Georgie Dicker‎ to Sale, Exchange or Wanted - Luxor
25 mins ·
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EX PATS AND EGYPTIAN NATIONALS. In an effort to be proactive and to find out where and which hospital(s) or medical centers here in Luxor have the facility to both test for the corona virus and/or quarantine patients, I called the Luxor Medical Centre, as my first point of contact, expecting them to be either THE point of contact for testing and/or they would know where in Luxor ex pats and Egyptian Nationals may attend if the need arises. I spoke to one of the senior doctors at the Medical Center, Luxor. He told me that Orman Hospital Tiba Luxor which is approx 40 min drive outside of Luxor town is the only hospital in the Luxor area that has testing facilities to test patients for the virus. He also told me that the only hospital in this area for quarantine of patients is either Hospital Shifa Esna and/or Hospital issued Esna, (address/tel numbers etc., can be found on the internet). He told me that all Egyptian Nationals will be aware of this as the information would have been announced on the tv news channels., I was not aware of this as I do not watch the Egyptian news, but I made a point of telling the doctor that as far as I am aware, ex pats would not necessarily know this unless they were married, and their husbands would have passed on the information to their wives, family and immediate friends, I also told him that I had not seen any notification to this effect on social media, i.e. Facebook, however, that doesn't mean to say it was not broadcasted on other social media of which I do not have access too. He was not able to tell me which one of these hospitals in Esna was for quarantine, but it is definitely one or the other.. I was disappointed that I was not able to get any medical information from the Doctor I spoke to, he told me that this is because the hospitals nominated for both testing and quarantine are advised by the W.H.O. and I guess the Egyptian Government. Here are the directions from Luxor, by road to both hospitals in Esna. The journey is approx 1 h 13 min (58.0 km) via 02/Cairo - Aswan Eastern Desert Rd/Nagaa Hamadi - Aswan/Qena - Edfo/Route 75M Please share this information as you deem necessary. Hope it helps and let's also hope that this hateful intrusion into our lives and the lives of our loved ones and friends is under control, sooner rather than later.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EX PATS AND EGYPTIAN NATIONALS

Post by Who2 »

I forwarded the above to my pal this was his response:

I don’t know who put that together but spreading false news is not very helpful at this time of crisis
I have passed it on the email to the relevant people here via our video conference meeting this morning
The situation in Luxor is so finally balanced at the moment that the most important thing is that people know what to do and when and where
There are vans traveling the villages daily explaining to the locals daily actions
There is testing available at military centres and mobile WHO units here in Luxor governate
There are 13 isolation centres in Egypt which are dealing with the 402 cases as of today
As Graham told me the other day after his last consultancy meeting with the Government – If Europe had gone down the Egyptian route then it wouldn’t be in such a bad way – trouble with Europe is there is to much civil liberty written in to common law
Much easier to restrict the population when it’s a military dictatorship
The only people here that seem to be taking no ******* notice are some ex pats who seem to think that they are immune
Honestly – they’re causing problems that the local authorities don’t need – maybe the penalties introduced today will help
As I said in my last email we can’t get up to the house at the moment – first because we’re self isolating and secondly because of the check points and travel restrictions between villages – all road and tracks covered.

As for Egypt ---------------------------
This is what the law says we can do at the moment
Egypt has ramped up measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus, declaring a total curfew from 7pm to 6am for two weeks starting Wednesday 25th March
- People are still allowed to leave their homes to shop for basic necessities or go to work during the daytime between 6am and 7pm, using public or private transportation.
- Trips to shops are allowed until their closing time at 5pm.
- People can use delivery services for any type of goods until 7pm.
What you can't do
- People should not leave their homes, travel to and from work or use public or private transportation from 7pm to 6am.
- Malls will be closed on weekdays after 5pm and all day on Friday and Saturday.
- People should not visit any kind of entertainment facility such as coffee shops, clubs, bars or restaurants, at any time.
- They cannot go to sporting clubs and gyms at any time.
- They should not gather for any type of education purpose, as the suspension of schools, universities, nurseries and all education centres has been extended for another two weeks.
- They cannot go to any government office for any public service, except for health offices. All expired documents that need to be renewed will be excused.
- They cannot travel abroad, as all international commercial flights will continue to be grounded for another two weeks until mid-April.
Who is exempt
- All hospital and health care centres, both public or private.
- Those with emergencies, such as major health problems.
- Medical staff and media personnel.
- Supermarkets, pharmacies and bakeries are exempt from the closure
- Vehicles transporting food commodities, medical and oil supplies can move freely at any time of the day.
How the government will enforce the measures
Authorities have the power to impose penalties on violators under the country’s emergency law, including an EGP 4,000 fine ($255) or a prison sentence.
Measures include:
- Immediate fines, dispersal of gatherings or arrests.
- Closing of shops.
- Stopping any public social events or gatherings.

From this mornings video conference we’re now looking to review on April 8th.

This for a bit more clarity.......... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One thing isn’t clear to me...and the above post doesn’t help.

If people are not allowed to leave their homes after 7pm what is the point in allowing grocery shops, bakeries and pharmacies to remain open. They won’t have any customers.

I assumed the ban on personal movement after 7pm didn’t apply if you were going to these exempt outlets....but a number of expats have insisted the curfew is total and you risk being fined etc if you’re caught en route to your local food shop after 7pm.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I THINK all the shops in the street here are closed at 7pm including pharmacies etc, or so Ive been told. I cant say for sure as Im not out there after 7pm..................

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

If I have been responsible for passing on false information, I apologise wholeheartedly.
. I'm sure we all realise that there is a lot of false or misguided information out there, sometimes it is very difficult to decipher which is which. This is one of the reasons I always try to give a source of the information,and why I often question and/or ask other people to do so.

Keefy, If you think it best to remove my OP please go ahead and do so.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am
If I have been responsible for passing on false information, I apologise wholeheartedly.
. I'm sure we all realise that there is a lot of false or misguided information out there, sometimes it is very difficult to decipher which is which. This is one of the reasons I always try to give a source of the information,and why I often question and/or ask other people to do so.

Keefy, If you think it best to remove my OP please go ahead and do so.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong or misleading with your post....you made the source quite clear and that you’d not verified Georgie Dicker’s “information”. Who’s to say Who2’s mate is any more accurate?

It’s the government announcement that’s hard to interpret.

We’ll have a better idea after 7pm tonight! :lol:

Nowadays, I view with suspicion any information transmitted by social media.

Be a doubting Thomas....you know it makes sense! ;)

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Have been informed that all the shops in the village (not sure if nationwide?) will close all day both Friday and Saturday.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 am
Have been informed that all the shops in the village (not sure if nationwide?) will close all day both Friday and Saturday.
That’s the govt instruction....except for grocery shops, bakeries and pharmacies.

So either there’s no qualifying outlets in the village....or they’re closing of their own volition.

There’s no mention in the govt notice of a daytime curfew either during the week or at the weekend.

Mind you, I’m reading this in Al Ahram, Egyptian Streets etc whose translation of what was presumably issued in Arabic is often inaccurate.

“The closure decisions do not include bakeries, pharmacies, grocery stores or supermarkets outside shopping centers, Madbouly said, adding that restaurants will be limited to home delivery only.”

https://egyptindependent.com/egypt-impo ... ronavirus/

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Shops open in the village. Pharmacy, fruit shop, internet shop. Could go on but what's the point.