Visas and death

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Visas and death

Post by carrie »

From the British Embassy.
The Egyptian Authorities have advised us that there are two types of residency visas in Egypt These are:
Residency visas for non tourism purposes
You qualify for this if you:
Are an investor in Egypt
or
Own property (registered in your own name) that is worth 200,000 US dollars or more
or
Are legally married to an Egyptian
or
Have a work permit.

Residency visa for tourism.

You get a one month visa on entry into Egypt.
You can then apply for a first extension for 3 months
You can then apply for further extensions.
To get an extension you need to submit:
A registered flat lease in your own name and a recent utility bill in your own name.
Residency visa for tourism cannot be used for re-entry into Egypt.

Death
In the event of a death in Egypt, the best advise we can give British people living here is to take a few simple steps which could help avoid difficulties.
These are;
Put your next of kin details into your passport.
Tell your next of kin or friend your burial wishes.
With the assistance of a lawyer, sign an Egyptian power of attorney to a friend?family member to enable them to make the arrangements for your burial and access your money for burial purposes.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Visas and death

Post by newcastle »

I take it, from the above, that a residency visa for tourism is NOT the same as a tourism visa.

If it is, then the information is widely different from the practice at the Hurghada office. For example, would you necessarily have a utilities bill in your name if you were only renting?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well I don't know, this advise seems to have raised more questions that it has answered.
Utilities bills, I haven't got one many others haven't either. Further questions have been asked of the Embassy when we have replies I will post them.
What constitutes a "legal" marriage to an Egyptian? What kind of visas exactly are they talking about? Do we still have to leave the country every year? What about the over 60s?
A friend visited the visa office yesterday and was told that no changes had been made, 6 month extension, rental contract required but no utility bill.
Confusion as usual reigns.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I interpret 'legal marriage' as being one that us court/embassy registered.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 am
I interpret 'legal marriage' as being one that us court/embassy registered.
That’s right. Orfi is not acceptable.

I think the embassy comments on tourist visas are incorrect....or out of date (if they were ever “in date”) :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

At the meeting someone said to the Ambassador that sometimes we get the impression that the Egyptian authorities don't want us here, The Ambassador denied this and said in his meeting with the Governor of Luxor and the Head of the Secret Police he had been assured that they both wanted our stay here to be made as easy as possible. Yeh!
I don't see why an Embassy wedding should be more important than a legally registered marriage in the Egyptian courts. In the UK maybe but not here.
An Orfi is but a bit of paper to protect a man from prosecution, not even acceptable in a decent hotel.
But I am sick of it all, as I said earlier if and when we get further information from the Embassy that's it from me. I will post further information if it is forthcoming.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The only legal marriage for foreigners in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice. Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legal marriage.

I think the foreigner will also have to submit evidence, attested by his embassy, that he is free to marry.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Forget about residency and investment in Egypt, I have had all the above, invested more than half million le into Egypt.
Residency ? 'forget it, they don't really want us here,
it goes with the territory they are just too 'thick to see the advantages.
As opposed to more other 'illightened countries..
Oh! yeh, and when I die I have arranged for Salima Ikram to mummify me,
that should be some fun and paperwork for her.... 8)

Ps: And daft wimmin marrying Egyptians ? are just, 'daft wimmin, forget them....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

No chance of a same sex civil partnership then!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 am
No chance of a same sex civil partnership then!
They used to be all the rage in Luxor.....unofficially of course. :a80:

Trouble is they often ended - much like orfis - in tears. :oops:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

At the passport office I met someone who owns her flat, I rent mine. Only she was told to come back next day with proof that the electricity bill is in her name.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:13 pm
At the passport office I met someone who owns her flat, I rent mine. Only she was told to come back next day with proof that the electricity bill is in her name.
Of course!

In reality, in the weird world of Egyptian bureaucracy, having the electricity bill in your name is often regarded as better proof of ownership and occupation than purchase contracts etc. :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well I have just had to have a new gas bottle if I asked the man for a receipt do you think it would count as a utility bill?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:54 pm
BENNU wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:13 pm
Of course!

... having the electricity bill in your name is often regarded as better proof of ownership and occupation than purchase contracts etc. :lol:
We all know that!

I just had a brand new example now that it was being debated.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I really can not understand this nonsense that has continued on this forum for years about visas, and/or the right to live in Egypt.

I lived in Egypt until the day I gave up my home in Luxor. It was then that I became a tourist, and as such required a tourist visa. My first year I visited the visa office, a dear old friend who both shared the same date of birth, who in fact was an important official in that office found it hysterical that I of all people was now requesting a tourist extension visa.

One year later I went to the temporary office around the corner that resembled, some sort of DHSS office, where I witnessed to my bemusement European people demanding their right to have their visas extended, and the disgraceful behaviour showed to Egyptian officials, as though these Europeans had a God given right to be there. I am pleased to say I only visited that place once, and thank God never again, though my dear old friend often would entertain me with some of the antics she witnessed,......and how she dealt with them in the future and,............... how swiftly they were removed from the country, often during the same year.

For those who are over a certain age and have extended stay in Egypt, may I suggest that you purchase a full health insurance policy while you live in Egypt,...........by the way it ain't cheap, though it is funny when one expects the Egyptian authorities to pick up the bill, when one has no such policy.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 pm
... I witnessed to my bemusement European people demanding their right to have their visas extended, and the disgraceful behaviour showed to Egyptian officials, as though these Europeans had a God given right to be there. I am pleased to say I only visited that place once ...
I witness it every single time I go to the passport office!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I can’t say I’ve ever witnessed a foreigner “demanding” a visa extension.

Anyone with any knowledge of how to deal with Egyptian bureaucracy would know that a truculent attitude is only going to spur some jobsworth into delaying, or rejecting, your application.

You can understand the frustration- particularly of those who have bought a property in Egypt - with recent changes in the practices surrounding visa extensions, etc. Then there’s the language barrier and seemingly contradictory treatment meted a out to identical cases.Form filling and endless requests for copies of this and that.

But the answer is to adopt a humble attitude, emulate the patience of Job, and pray that whoever you encounter at the visa office is not suffering from toothache or is in a bad mood over some personal domestic issue.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The latest, don't shoot the messenger.
A foreigner needs to go through a civil marriage to be considered legally married in Egypt. The civil marriage is the one that gets automatically registered by the authorities and thus valid for all purposes (marital rights and inheritance) You can undertake a civil marriage only in Cairo and Alexandria. No civil registry office is available elsewhere. You have to come to the Embassy first for a marriage oath.

Visas all foreigners need a visa regardless of age. The Egyptian authorities exempt those who are over 60 years old from the fine. If they fail to renew their visas on time, but they still require a visa.
Contracts
In case of renting a flat, the owner and the tenant need to go to the court to register the contract after signing it. This needs to happen eve4ry time you renew the renting contract.
The electricity bill will always be in the owner's name. If it is a rented flat then the electricity bill will be in the owners name. if you buy a flat then the electricity bill could be changed to your name.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Not that any of it affects me...

That all sounds to be the same as it has been for as long as I can remember.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:44 am
Not that any of it affects me...

That all sounds to be the same as it has been for as long as I can remember.
Me too!

Carrie is - I assume- only relaying info she has picked up from some Embassy site.

Whilst they can be forgiven for any errors in navigating the labyrinthine Egyptian regulations, there’s clearly a discrepancy between saying you need, for visa purposes, to submit a utility bill

“To get an extension you need to submit:
A registered flat lease in your own name and a recent utility bill in your own name”

......whilst stating that the utility bills will be in the name of the owner! :lol:

Perhaps the phrase in parentheses should be amended to ....

“To get an extension you need to submit:
A registered flat lease in your own name OR, IF YOU OWN YOUR PROPERTY, a recent utility bill in your own name.”