Back to Normal?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Back to Normal?

Post by BENNU » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 pm

Just as I had forgotten how things used to be when Luxor attracted more visitors, a tourist was having a fresh juice at The Nile. Her hostile glance when I smiled at her let me know that she was waiting for a date and not tolerating any competition. I knew that look too well and decided to look at the moon instead, enjoying my freedom and the delicious mezze in front of me, dreaming that one day it will be my turn to have dinner with a man somewhere under the moon.

A couple of nights ago at a sleazy little place I know, a woman had pitied me for sitting alone and invited me to join herself and two guys. Each was less than half her size and age, so I thought I should let her keep both. My friend had seen them sending her to my table, which is unusual. Normally men do not want their victims any where near me, even if they see me for the first time. I am not considered good for business and certainly not wife material myself, if you know what I mean, but they were very stoned. She seemed relieved when I thanked no and I enjoyed the music, though it could have been nice with a man by my side.

Earlier this week in an elegant bar, a bitter woman had talked to me about her time in Luxor, her home. Though she was entitled to great love, it had been a disappointment, so she would not stay here much longer. She could tell that I had settled for a tolerable, yet empty life on West Bank, but unlike myself, she had standards.

"The only thing I miss here is a love life, but I am invisible in Luxor", I told her. She lifted her nose high, closed her eyes, pointed a finger too close to my face and accused me of lying.

"How come such an incredibly beautiful woman like you can walk in peace, when the men will not leave me alone?"

"According to friends, I do have admirers, but I have no idea who they are.", I said.

"Friends?!?", she laughed, "You think you have friends here? Are you stupid? Ha ha ha! People in Luxor are very evil, all of them, they cannot be your friends! I know because I have been here for more than a year! You know nothing! I am the best friend you'll ever have ..."

The hot date arrived at The Nile, very nervous, not because of the woman waiting for him at the table, but clearly at the thought of her starting a conversation with me like others had done in the past. He looked at me as if to repeat his warning from years ago, when returning to the restaurant for commission after a romantic dinner last time tourists were in town, pretending to have forgotten something. One word from me and my life in Luxor would be history. As if she would listen! He did not eat much, just having had dinner with his wife and children, I am sure. The tight dress into which she had squeezed herself had to be pulled all the way up to her Sloggi trousers for her to get on his motorcycle, not yet used to sitting sideways like a lady.

The once so familiar sight of pink shoulders and white legs disappearing in the darkness at the river on the background of arriving cruise boats made me wonder, if things are getting back to normal.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Back to Normal?

Post by carrie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 am

Oh Bennu you make me so sad, your not invisible your just respectable.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 am

Bennu you've summed it up perfectly. I wonder how much money they pay these gigolos for 5 minutes of fun!!!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:32 am

carrie wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 am
Oh Bennu you make me so sad
Oh, Carrie, I did not mean to make anyone sad.
It is not about me, but here I have been hoping and praying for tourists to return, completely forgetting just how ugly it could be.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:00 am

I don’t think much has changed over recent years to deter tourists.

It’s just that the over-aged, overweight cougars are finding the airfares a tad expensive :urm:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:55 am

crewmeal wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 am
I wonder how much money they pay these gigolos for 5 minutes of fun!!!
newcastle wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:00 am
It’s just that the over-aged, overweight cougars are finding the airfares a tad expensive :urm:
The airfares should be the least of their worries.
:a59: :a15:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:45 pm

crewmeal wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 am
Bennu you've summed it up perfectly. I wonder how much money they pay these gigolos for 5 minutes of fun!!!
Probably all the money they received after their husbands died.
I mean, who doesn't need a felucca or motor-boat ?
'What we need are more motor-boats or another coffee shop.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.