Illiteracy

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Illiteracy

Post by carrie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 pm

I broke a favorite ornament the other day and wanted to buy some glue to see if I could fix it. A friend told me what glue was in Arabic as usual I forgot but I had also asked for it to be written (in Arabic) on a piece of paper so that I could buy some. Ok Sudanie Supermarket showed them my paper, no we don't sell it. Girl in there understood exactly what I wanted. So off I go went to the shop in the village where they sell, wrapping paper, crayons and art stuff, showed her my paper, she couldn't read. So off we went to find someone else he had to get his friend because he couldn't read, the friend told me to go to the pharmacy. Thought it was a bit strange but never mind off to the pharmacy they looked at me very strangely when I handed over my paper and said they didn't see it.
Now these wern't old people they were relatively young, in their 20s early thirties, what hope for Egypt though if in such a random fashion I find so many people who can't read.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Illiteracy

Post by newcastle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 pm

https://ww.egyptindependent.com/egypts- ... 17-capmas/

Going by the statistics indicated in this article, I wouldn’t be too surprised.

Moreover, CAPMAS is notoriously biased in exaggerating the achievements of Egypt so I suspect the true rate of illiteracy is nearer 40%....rising to 80% in upper Egypt.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Tubes of super glue that should do the job can be bought from most little shops, 4 years ago it cost 1LE a tube.

Super glue = سوبر الغراء

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 am

In the cooler weather a group of us go on weekly Monday morning walks. When walking past various schools we have often commented that the noise coming from them made it sound as if there were mob riots going on, rather than any schooling.Not totally the fault of the teachers - enormous sized classes, NO fans in the school rooms, poorly paid teachers, no schooling at all throughout the long summer months etc etc

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 pm

The motorbike shop in Gezera sells most types of glue including glue for repairing metals.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

I agree Hatusu but you must remember teachers haven't much incentive to teach in schools. Teachers earn much more by giving private lessons.
A friend of mine, a teacher, said he was sending his child to the Coptic school on the East Bank, 72 kids in this class. How on earth do you expect your child to learn anything with so many in the class? I don't but they are the best teachers in Luxor there and unless your child attends the Coptic School you can't get them as private teachers.