Property tax.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Property tax.

Post by Dusak »

Went to the office the other day to pay this years tax, 363Le, they insisted that I pay two years as they said I had not paid last years, even though I was stood there with last years receipt. They refused to see me as they wanted to investigate the matter. They wanted me to leave last years bill, which I refused to do. I told them if they wanted the money for mine and the guy upstairs that I pay on his behalf, then they will have to come to me. The guy turned up yesterday for the money, but at least he apologized for the first wasted visit I made.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Property tax.

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e just had what I thought was just a rumor confirmed.
The reason for the constant helicopter flights above are not taking 'generals for a free flight around The VoK.
It's comparing the images of all the illegal builds around.
Remember! about 6 years ago, when those guys were walking about with those black backpacks, laptops & satellite connections.
Well they are now comparing them, Sisi's coming for the money in more ways than one.
This is happening all over the Country in the UK it's called The Planning Department.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I am sure you will also remember some eight or so years ago, those helicopters going up and down the West Bank taking photographs for the property tax. In truth Egypt learnt a lot of the various forms of British tax system that were once set up, easy to collect, being more successful than most other countries,.......even the silly T.V. license system, where in truth only few people pay these days, now realising those detector vans are a joke.

Any how, I digress, from what I understand about the Egyptian property tax, known in Britain as the Council Tax, is being re-valued, this will probably take effect in 18 months.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

You never know what might happen in the future Dr, especially now the Country has said goodbye to democracy....

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Democracy ? Lasts as long as it takes to sign an X or depress a thumbprint...
So which Country are you talking about here ?..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

A subtle but hard shift in the past few years has made the tax system even more regressive on average and lower people who don't have the accountants to move the money out as do the tax rorting Cairo upper class. Indeed the current Central Bank Governor, Amer, was 1st deputy to the dreadful creature. Okda/Okdah when the billions left the country, illegally, (probably at least $US4.5 billion a year in modern money) between 2005 and 11 and personally supervised the thefts which claimed to be the sale of major government assets. Amer's uncle was a Major General, Defence Minister and friend of Nasser- the man who ruined the economy for vanity. Breeding is everything including the in-breeding of congenital birth defects.

In simple terms the highest income rate has been reduced, the income threshold for income tax to start/kick in has been reduced and the land tax isn't progressive on the most expensive houses and commercial land. With the last that means the rich pay a trivial amount whereas the middle squirms. Of course the VAT hits the middle and lower hard. At one stage over three years ago the importers of luxury cars wanted an exemption from VAT and I think got it for a while. The re gigging of the tax on petrol is madder than Lewis Carroll and the high octane petrol for bigger and more expensive cars has been increased at a fraction of the increase for regular petrol used by ordinary people. There are some other evil tricks but I forget them and the local media - even Enterprise is so crippled or frightened that they dare not report on such matters. The net effect is that the middle or lower carry a greater burden than 4 years ago - possibly a much greater burden,

Meanwhile there is no capital gains tax and not even a transactions tax/capitals gains on stock market sales in a stock market that is just about the worst in the world - its index has never exceeded the 2007 peak. Together with many other transactions that all sane countries tax this means the rich and speculative make a limited - possibly no - contribution to society. The legislation was to apply to the stock exchange but the Minister decided it wasn't in Egypt's interest - what rot. My guess is that the Minister broke the law - as if he cares.

All of these taxes are a laugh because the budget burns money like a drunker sailor and no targets have been met. Deutsche Bank thinks that their spending orgy combined with their pillage of ordinary Egyptians leaves them where they were 5 years ago - a shocking defect that could blow up the country because they are borrowing on the international and domestic markets to just fill the defect gap. Well they are no longer borrowing on the international markets because all banks decided 9 months ago to loan them no more and to recover their debt on maturity. To be clear the international markets are closed to Egypt.

This now leaves the drunken spendthrift generals with the domestic debt market which they always soaked and are now draining which means banks have little cash to loan locals to create jobs. Local government debt is close to 19% pa. You can see where this one goes and the failure to create jobs affects the poor and has little effect on the rich.

Most countries produce data on the breakdown of total tax payed by income level. Egypt does not and I'm certain I know why. Generally speaking its tax data is vague beyond belief.

There is something about all dictatorships which means the average and poor pay all the bills.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Even thought this tax is low, even for the Egyptians that are required to pay it, there are still many that are required to pay it due to them having rentals, but get away with it for an ''under the counter payment.'' The guy that built my place has over twenty five flats in and around Karnak, yet only pays the tax on about six, those six being occupied by foreigners, so they have probably had it placed on their rents. The two things in Egyptian life that will never change, corruption and FGM
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Talking about Egypt and Clerkenwell Dr..... :lol: :lol: :lol: