Opera Aida - 2019

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Opera Aida - 2019

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

It has been announced on a Facebook page that the opera Aida is to be performed in Luxor in 2019. Now, I'm not actually holding my breath on this event - I understand that the last time this was proposed (relatively recent years ago) that it didn't actually take place. I'm also a bit concerned about the way the actual Opera Aida Facebook page is worded. Nevertheless, I thought it worth sharing so that anyone interested can keep their eyes open and their ears to the ground for any further information.

Copied from the Facebook page:

Opera Aida - Luxor 2019
8 January at 20:29 ·
Dear All
we have the honor to announce that we are going to organize Opera Aida at Temple of Hatshepsut - West Bank - Luxor.
we got so much experience from organizing Opera Aida at the Pyramids last year.
we promise to have the greatest event of 2019.
we will have super stars - great production - amazing orchestra & Choir.
it will be an unforgettable performance.
the tickets will be on sale on 01 February 2019.
for more details please follow our facebook page .
we will launch our web site soon.

https://www.facebook.com/Opera-Aida-Lux ... cation=ufi

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Opera Aida - 2019

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm

When I shared the information here about the proposed opera Aida, Ibdid so in good faith, although I had reservations about it at the time. I have been following a number of comments about this proposed event, in various places on Facebook, and my confidence in this event taking place is waning fast.
Neither the website or email address are active.

I, and I know some others, were initially excited about the prospect of seeing and hearing Aida performed in Luxor. I was considering booking annual leave and a flight around those dates in October. I believe others were thinking to do so too. Now, I think caution is my the best option and am taking the news of this event with an even bigger pinch of salt.

A lot can happen in nine months; babies can be conceived and born. I'm just not convinced that professional operas can sucessfully be produced in that time.
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Either 1994 or 1997, though I feel sure it was the latter Hepzibar, when Aida was performed at Hapshepsuit Temple. The tickets for the show were on sale at various places in Luxor priced at $50. I remember the poster in Thomas Cook's, I tried to acquire after the event, though failed. I understand it was a great success, anyone in that area at night know how well the acoustics are.

Being that my home was quite near, although I did not see it, I certainly heard it. The then president Mr Mubarak was in attendance along with celebrities such as Sean Connery. After the performance it was total chaos, everyone at the same time retreating towards where there was 'true light and civilization'. I am sure some will remember, there was nothing like real street lighting as we see there today, just a light outside certain shops and homes, and in truth very few lights even in Gezira.

After the performance I remember getting into Luxor long before even the president. I stood in the road between the now long gone Mina Palace and Brooke's, he eventually came along the main road, his car and a number of others had crossed the river by a temporary bridge up in Karnack.

I remember seeing Mubarak speed by, but was told by a couple of security men, that the real president was probably in a back unmarked van, and I had I fact only seen a double.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 am

Yes a-four, I understand a performance did take place in the mid/late 1990's. However, I am fairly sure that a performance was advertised ( in typical Luxor fashion) for more recent years, i.e since 2011, but never actually happened. I fear this one may not hapoen either, but I hope I am wrong.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 am

Yes you are right Hepzibah, about three/four years ago if I remember rightly. I would love to go to a performance of Aida here in Luxor but like you I am not holding out too much hope for it happening. The previous performance in the 90's was a split, half they did at Karnak and half at Hatchepsut with a temporary pontoon bridge built across the Nile to connect the two sites.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 am

We saw it in front of the Giza pyramids and Sphinx. Not a patch on a western production, quite static (and no elephants, of course, unlike on Sydney Harbour :) ) and not my favourite opera, but an interesting experience.
Carpe diem! :le:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 pm

This, I think, is the latest information:

Opera Aida - Luxor 2019
8 hrs ·
We are proud to announce that the phenomenal Lviv National Opera will be providing the Orchestra for our event. This opera house was founded in the end of the 19th century, and since its founding, it has accomplished more than one hundred years of outstanding achievements. The Orchestra of Ukraine is considered to be one of the finest symphony orchestras in Eastern Europe. They are highly qualified and are popular for having their own distinct sound as their music has the ability to take any listener to a special place. Their stupendous performance will take place on October 26th and 28th.

Make sure you are following our page to stay tuned with upcoming exciting announcements!

#OperaAidaLuxor2019
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Maybe I was wrong to be so sceptical.

The latest from their Facebook page.
Opera Aida - Luxor 2019
7 hrs ·
We are proud to announce that Ms.Oksana Lyniv will be the conductor of our performance. She is considered one of the world’s greatest female conductors. She frequently conducts at opera houses, symphony orchestras, and music festivals—including the Bavarian State Opera and Barcelona’s Gran Teatre del Liceu—throughout Europe. She was recently named director of the Graz Opera in Austria, being the first woman to hold that position. We look forward to experiencing her incredible ability at Opera Aida, and we hope you are excited as well!

#OperaAidaLuxor2019
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Opera Aida - Luxor 2019
42 mins ·
We are proud to announce that Ms.Sae-Kyung Rim will play the role of Aida in our performance.
She is the great adventurer of modern sopranos: a voice to die for, but coupled with absurd creative ambition and tremendous humor.
she studied singing at the Giuseppe Verdi Conservatory in Milan and at the Teatro alla Scala Academy with Leyla Gencer.
Rim's inclusion as one of six sopranos to play the role Aida at Arena Di Verona Italy.
she has performed Aida at Arena di Verona, Seoul, Klagenfurt, Munich and Tokyo.
#operaaidaluxor2019
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Well looks like it might just happen. :urm:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 pm

carrie wrote:Well looks like it might just happen. :urm:
I know! I may have to eat my hat. OR.... using a more appropriate term - it's not over 'til the fat lady sings. ;-)

I think the booking site is supposed to open soon (well it would need to anyway) so it will be interesting to see how much they are going to charge for tickets.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Opera Aida - Luxor 2019
13 mins ·
We are excited to announce that ticket sales have begun!

Go to https://aidaluxor.com/prices/ and check out the prices and seating plan. Afterwards, simply send an email to info@aidaluxor.com with your request and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!

Hope to see you there!

#OperaAidaLuxor2019

BE WARNED - The booking site isn't complete. It suggests you may want to book off line. Problem as far as I can see is that you may want specific seats in a particular area but at the moment there are no row or seat numbers.
-Aldous Huxley

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:21 am

Depending on the price I would definitely like to go to this event, but knowing Egypt I dont think I would personally part with my money so early.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 am

hatusu, that's how I feel. The prices are given (in US$) on the website for the various seating zones but I would expect to specific rows and seat numbers before booking. It is not a cheap event - I don't expect cheap but I do expect realistic.
My impression is that unless you really are an opera buff with a budget to match, it is going to be out of realistic financial reach for many living in Egypt. For those living outside of Egypt and have to add on the air fare, the risks of booking are even greater. Yes, the opera could be a special extra to a holiday in Luxor if you really had plans to visit Luxor, but if you were planning your holiday around the opera then you need to be confident in the whole booking procedure (and that there is a money back guarantee if it's cancelled for any reason).
-Aldous Huxley

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Typical Egyptian organization.

They may have a soprano but its not Ms Sae and the reason I know that is that her personal booking website (2nd and 3rd class venues) doesn't include anything in Egypt. Someone forgot to book her. https://www.operabase.com/a/sae-kyung-rim/15320/en

Odd, because she is used to large outside venues and amplification including the Herodias Atticus (sic) in Athens. A much better venue acoustically and tiered seating.

Maybe they could just use a CD - depends which one. A screaming Callas.

What I find interesting with these Egyptian opera fiascos is that no attention is given to assembling 'hoardings' to increase the amplification and reduce echo. Its not hard and just requires a few people maybe one or two with acoustic degrees. Useful also for the orchestra if you want to run the risk of hearing their playing.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

I could buy a pretty good drone for the price of a VIP ticket and watch it from my house... 8)
https://aidaluxor.com/prices/?fbclid=Iw ... dZ2b9_q25Q
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 pm

....apart from the fact that the possession, let alone operation, of drones in Egypt is illegal

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Who2 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm
I could buy a pretty good drone for the price of a VIP ticket and watch it from my house... 8)
https://aidaluxor.com/prices/?fbclid=Iw ... dZ2b9_q25Q
Believe me, or believe me not my dear Dr, but that is how I was perched, as in your picture, high on the roof of an old friends house, many years ago eating home made chips and sea bass, while watching Aida, all those years ago, others, so I am told paid $50,...........and no home made chips. :wi .

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:10 am

Sitting in the park yesterday opposite the Pub and a noise like a huge bee was apparent.
High above us was a drone, we finally located the operators sitting on a balcony next to the pub.
It was amazing when it finally came into land, the guy caught it in his hand. Looks like a lot of fun!..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 am

They are.. :-) I am teaching my 8 year old Grandson how to fly his drone he had for XMas and control it from is Mobile phone..
He has mastered the art of hitting the emergency landing button when he looses control... clever kid. 8)

I almost decapitated the cat first time I tried to fly it indoors... :D