Information please...

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Information please...

Post by Who2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:31 am

Two things, first I am looking for a good optician other than the one in Station St.
Secondly sometime ago someone was looking for a cleaning job on here, my builders are 'relatively competant
on bricks & mortar but lack cleaning skills.
So any help would be extremely useful, cheers.... 8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

hatusu
Egypt

Re: Information please...

Post by hatusu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 am

When I first came here I assumed that all the shops that sold spectacles were opticians. Not so here. It depends what you want. Ive taken my prescription from England and got new spectacles for a very good price here (TV Street) but if you want your eyes checking out for any reason I had good treatment at the eye hospital behind the Morris Hotel.

steigen

Post by steigen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am

I too went to the eye hospital near the Morris Hotel,you have to make an appointment first.They are very thorough and have machines that you may not find in the small shops.I then use "Look Optics"on TV Street near to Fruit House,the end result has always been very good and ready within 24hrs.There is a little shop next to the hospital but I felt very rushed by them when I was choosing the frames.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm

In the U.K. we are always told to be careful with our eye sight, especially when you're over fifty five, this is from when in most cases 'floaters' can develop, and that is when most people seek the help of a qualified optician.

In the U.K. most opticians work from a variety of shops with in one town, who may be in attendance once or twice a week, the rest of the people who work in the shop are simply there to hopefully sell you the most expensive frames they can offer you, even though many these days wear white coats. There is nothing stopping you from taking your prescription anywhere else, though the staff will do their best to prevent this.

If the prescription required is for simple reading and the optician gives you a same defect for both eyes (being a 1.5plus and a 1.5plus) then your best option is to go to one of those pound shops, and purchase there,............I joke not. If each eye is different then you would certainly be making a huge mistake.

P.S. - there is no cure for floaters in the eyes.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Typically A -Four's post bears no real relevance to the original questions asked. It is also factually incorrect, or at least over generalised, and certainly does not represent my experiences of local opticians in my little part of the UK .

I have no personal experience of the eye care facilities in Luxor so cannot comment on them.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:58 pm

This time I got my prescription from my optician in London even though he 'conned me out of £230 for a pair of spec's.
So thanks for the, 'eyes wide open advice. But still looking for the cleaner, anything under 50 would be good,
but a couple of Russian sisters 20-40 years of age would be fun plus my 'street-cred would 'rocket!.... 8)
Ps: Just returned from Sheik Ali fundog (Marsam)
heaving with archi's and tour groups. where the 'tour guides doesn't get their 70% commission.
Pss: NB, One shouldn't knock A4, it's a Sunday and I'll bet I'm more 'p*ssed than he is @ 3pm EGMT.
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Well pray, do tell us all of your experiences, if you think this information is wrong.

With regards to the Dr's request here, I suggest he gets and pays for a full examination ONLY, then go to a supplier of frames. Many years ago now, a team of professional opticians from Quena University made regular visits to a upper floor office of shops opposite the hospital in Tarrife WB, because of the shameful practise carried out at that time. There are enough people alive there to know of this.

There is still a large number of pharmacies near the once popular tourist hotels in Luxor that made their money from unsuspecting people who paid way over the cost for remedies that a simple 10 piatsa aspirin would have put right. The name Augamentin comes to mind, along with Tramadol, DF118's, and many others.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Who2 wrote:This time I got my prescription from my optician in London even though he 'conned me out of £230 for a pair of spec's.
My dear Dr, I am a little surprised you, of all people paid out such a silly amount, why did you not pop into Moorfields, just over the road from you. The best in the world and do it the right way, then it costs nothing, best time is 3-30 p.m. on a Thursday or Friday, when the riff raff have all but gone.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Who2 wrote: Pss: NB, One shouldn't knock A4, it's a Sunday and I'll bet I'm more 'p*ssed than he is @ 3pm EGMT.
My dear Dr, (by the way, sorry to bother you again), thank you for your comment, believe me I don't mind anyone having a go at me, but do feel they could express themselves in a better manner. Along with others I find little time to post these days, when I constantly read about a person who is slagged off for their views, if you don't like them, ignore them,.........simple.

P.S. - must admit, I have added another to my very short list.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 pm

..... most people seek the help of a qualified optician.
A-Four may be confused...or just careless with his terminology.

Opticians are technicians trained to design, verify and fit eyeglass lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other devices to correct eyesight. They use prescriptions supplied by ophthalmologists or optometrists, but do not test vision or write prescriptions for visual correction. Opticians are not permitted to diagnose or treat eye diseases.

Many high street opticians provide eye tests and prescription services....but the work is carried out by a qualified opthalmologist.

That's in the UK of course. Egypt, no doubt, has its own "procedures" :ct

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm

I have a very lovely fully trained Indian optician in Leather Lane, but when they do that 'looking at ones' cornea and
the huff & puff test her last nights Biriyani breath can be a bit much.
Still looking for an alternative to Station St and no news on the Russian cleaners boo hoo... 8)
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Worth a visit to Magrabi Eye hospital in Cairo, or one of their smaller clinics. I had my cataracts removed at the main hospital and I cannot speak too highly of their organisation, cleanliness and customer care. The cost of my operations was about half of the cost in the UK and I hadn't had such good eyesight in my life before as I have now. Actually one of the surgeons operating on my second eye was English.

Of course they do standard eye examinations at very reasonable cost and offer for sale spectacles without pushing you to buy them. In fact since I now have 20-20 vision for my age I need reading glasses and they advised choosing a pair specs off the shelf of any shop that was comfortable. No prescription was needed. What a change from UK shops!

https://www.magrabi.com.sa/hospital/mag ... ital-cairo
Smile! It confuses people

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 am

I have recently got a new pair of Vari-Focals at 310 Euros, I did have my eyes tested in Luxor took the test results to have my glasses made up, but when I got them back there was obviously a problem. I thought the centres of the lens were not measured correctly, I just put them in a box and went on with my old ones, when I took them into the Opticians here the misalignment was out by just under 3mm, how it happened I do not know or even why it should have happened. But like A4 you cannot be too careful with your eyes, a bad pair of specs can do more damage than enough to your sight.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Major Thom wrote:I have recently got a new pair of Vari-Focals at 310 Euros, I did have my eyes tested in Luxor took the test results to have my glasses made up, but when I got them back there was obviously a problem. I thought the centres of the lens were not measured correctly, I just put them in a box and went on with my old ones, when I took them into the Opticians here the misalignment was out by just under 3mm, how it happened I do not know or even why it should have happened. But like A4 you cannot be too careful with your eyes, a bad pair of specs can do more damage than enough to your sight.
Where those the rose tinted ones that you wore over here? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Dusak wrote:
Major Thom wrote:I have recently got a new pair of Vari-Focals at 310 Euros, I did have my eyes tested in Luxor took the test results to have my glasses made up, but when I got them back there was obviously a problem. I thought the centres of the lens were not measured correctly, I just put them in a box and went on with my old ones, when I took them into the Opticians here the misalignment was out by just under 3mm, how it happened I do not know or even why it should have happened. But like A4 you cannot be too careful with your eyes, a bad pair of specs can do more damage than enough to your sight.
Where those the rose tinted ones that you wore over here? :lol:
:a34:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm

So still looking for an optician in Luxor, any suggestions ?.......... 8)
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:04 am

I went to the then new International eye clinic close to the main local bus terminal. The test was OK, but nothing in comparison to the UK. Over the course of three hours I had six kinds of eye drops in, the last drops resulted in having my eye balls lifted out with what looked like an ice cream scoop. I did not know this at the time as by eyeballs had been sedated, saw it coming, but did not see the end result. My friend told me what he had done once outside, took me ten minutes or so to get my eyesight back. Never bothered with fulfilling the prescription he gave me. You should of had them seen to in the UK.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 am

No "D" and you should know from my posts I never wore Rose Tinted Glasses in Luxor, if I had of done I would probably still be writing Soft Southern Guff on here......

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:06 am

Major Thom wrote:No "D" and you should know from my posts I never wore Rose Tinted Glasses in Luxor, if I had of done I would probably still be writing Soft Southern Guff on here......
What?!? Not even when you created and posted that You Tube video extolling the attractions of Luxor?

Selective memory methinks :urm:

Let's hope no-one took the trouble to copy and preserve it - before you deleted it - otherwise it could come back to haunt you. :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:54 pm

How does one add photos from their gallery ?
Sophocles.