Forty Market

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Sdo
Egypt

Forty Market

Post by Sdo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 am

Amusing but not surprising. I use the sachets of Nescafe because I like to top up weak coffee when in a cafe. Last week, in Forty Market, a box of 25 cost 23.50 LE or 1 le for 1 sachet.. Yesterday the price was 26LE per box. I was told there had been a price increase. So I did the math, emptied out the box and was charged 1 le per sachet!!!! Reminds me of the time that big potatoes were more expensive per kilo than smaller one..."because the are bigger".

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Market

Post by carrie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 am

Don't know if it still happens but when I was young the local chippy always used to put the price of chips up every year "because we are using new potatoes now" The price never dropped when the new potatoes ran out.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:20 am

carrie wrote:Don't know if it still happens but when I was young the local chippy always used to put the price of chips up every year "because we are using new potatoes now" The price never dropped when the new potatoes ran out.
You need to relocate to Cyprus.

There, potatoes are so common, they grow on trees and you could fill the boot of your car for 1 euro.

And if you fancy a Nescafe sachet, just pop into any post office where they are supplied free to anyone with a pulse.

www.amazingfactsaboutcyprus.com

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:30 am

:))) :))) :)))
Carpe diem! :le:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 am

Cyprus used to be famous for it's potatoes, but I cannot remember the last time I had any that were worth buying, I bought two packs of ‘Cyprus New Potatoes’ for over Christmas and to be honest our local grown stuff has more taste. 8)

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Why bother with Cyprus ? the land of criminals. When one could enjoy the wondrous taste
of locally grown New Jersey Potatoes a hint of mint, ground sea salt and anchor butter. mmm! .... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Because you only get Jersey New Potatoes at the start of the year and not at Christmas, as a one time cook I thought you would have known that. 8)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 am

That's because Cyprus keeps the best for themselves, and why not? Oranges and Lemons are cheaper than anywhere, you just pick them off the tree's, same for pomegranates. Anyway cannot be bothered about all the facts and figures about what you can get in a pack of Kelloggs, for me its a case of what you can get, when you can get it, and at the same price as locals. That's the reason for articles being priced. The coffee thing at 40's is all over the World, special bargains everywhere that's why you need to look out and make sure they are bargains. Well known for over pricing if I remember correct, and also if I remember they did not put prices up on the shelves at one time. KZ are a bit the same, the price of the coffee is on the shelf 3 isles away its a matter of going up each isle to look for the price. Again a different price every week. I suppose a lot of the pricing is done, especially on frozen goods, to whether or not the goods have been defrosted before being put in the freezers to freeze again. I mean the amount of defrosted packages for sale in shops was incredible. I once bought a Magnum Ice Cream from a shop in Gezera, got in the taxi opened it up to find it had already been opened a mouthful bitten off, repackaged and put in the freezer again. Filthy B-----ds would never use that shop again. Also was in a shop again on the WB, they wanted to charge me 2LE above the price for a pack of Cleopatra looked at the packet, they were obviously fake, gave them back said the price was wrong, you are charging tourist prices and selling fake goods, and walked out. Was walking past a year or so later and the owner shouted to me please look around my shop, shouted back, No thanks you charge tourist prices and sell fake goods, the reply was ah yes your the guy from Gorf.... My reply was yes, is that why you wanted to overcharge me, or was it simply because you thought at the time I was on holiday.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:55 am

Years ago, as a child, I used to look forwards to the opening of a new pack of Kellogg's Corn Flakes as you used to get really cool free gifts. :up I always look forwards to the advent of the release of new spuds here in Egypt, I eat loads of them while I can. But this year the quality has been well below what has been available over past years. A very disappointed spud eater from Karnak. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 am

That's because Cyprus keeps the best for themselves, and why not? Oranges and Lemons are cheaper than anywhere, you just pick them off the tree's
And just how do you grow a crop of new potatoes and select the best to keep for yourself? do you really think that the Isle of Jersey keeps all the best spuds to eat themselves, but sells the crap to everyone else because they are queuing up to buy it? I can see it now "no dear, leave those lovely new Cheshire potatoes alone and buy that bag of reject Jersey Royals instead. :urm:

As for Oranges and Lemons just growing on trees, so what? Every country has some indigenous fruit that can be picked it all depends upon where in the world you live, did you go Blackberry picking this Autumn? :tk

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 am

Well Horus don't like to upset you but do you know that oranges and lemons grow on trees here too and I am looking forward to my trip to Turkey where I will gather Mulberry.Surprising aint it.!!! Getting the exclamation disease must be catching.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:50 am

Oranges and Lemons are cheaper than anywhere, you just pick them off the tree's, same for pomegranates.
Thieving bast*rds are everywhere these days :evil:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Yesterday I enjoyed the first of my five tangerines. :eat But I still wait for my first bumper crop.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:00 pm

carrie wrote:Well Horus don't like to upset you but do you know that oranges and lemons grow on trees here too and I am looking forward to my trip to Turkey where I will gather Mulberry.Surprising aint it.!!! Getting the exclamation disease must be catching.
Carrie, where I lived in the middle of darkest Africa I had Orange and Lemon trees (the Lemons fruited all year round) a Peach tree, Coffee bushes, Advocado Pears, Pomegranates and of course Mangoes (two types) plus many more. ;)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:34 am

the same for new potato's there are quite a few varieties, I should know being a Lincolnshire bloke, some are good others tasteless, but good for export and collecting cash. :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:07 pm

I had some big white mulberries in my garden in Luxor - but I was the only person who would eat them, as the fruit looks rather like a large maggot. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 am

Could you not have sprayed them MD, I have seen insecticides for sale in Luxor, I have used them myself, or was it too late when you realised. A bit of Mulberry wine may not have gone amiss!!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 am

The ones in Turkey Mad Dylis are the black ones. Make a mess on the pavement when they fall and everyone walks on them.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:16 am

Major Thom wrote:Could you not have sprayed them MD, I have seen insecticides for sale in Luxor, I have used them myself, or was it too late when you realised. A bit of Mulberry wine may not have gone amiss!!
:a23:

" .....the fruit looks rather like a large maggot" MT......not actually infested with them.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:47 am

carrie wrote:The ones in Turkey Mad Dylis are the black ones. Make a mess on the pavement when they fall and everyone walks on them.
We have white ones too Carrie, but they're mainly in people's gardens. They were planted many, many years ago provide the food for silk worms - Eski Datca had a thriving silk weaving industry at that time. No silk worms now, just a dreadful mess on the pavements as you say!