something that may interest folk living here.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

something that may interest folk living here.

Post by Dusak » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 am

While bemoaning the fact that we have crap TV here to an online friend, and as in my case, having to rely on friends for new downloads, they recommended that I log onto 123movies.com. So I gave it a go and was quite impressed. There is no membership fee, no log on password required, you just choose what you want to watch and click play. I've watched the first one hour episode of the fourth season of The Boat, then onto the new films section to watch a 1.5 hour documentary called the Blackwell Ghost 2017. Well worth a watch even if your not into that sort of thing. The quality is HD, sound good with no freezing, time out or buffering stalls.

The only downside is because its live feed there is no pause or skip option, plus the screen format is larger than the screen size of my laptop, so I had to centralize the picture. This may go if I played it through my spare 47'' TV, but don't want to bring it into another room just to try it. Someone may know how to alter the picture size on a computer to give a better fit. I've not had a good mooch around it yet to see what else is available.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: something that may interest folk living here.

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Dusak, you are getting into a bit of a grey area with this. It is easy enough to change your screen ‘resolution’ in your Control Panel settings. However you seem to be saying that the image you are watching is too big to fit onto the screen of your laptop? So you are basically watching the middle part of the image? If so then that is down to the ‘aspect ratio’ of the film you are watching and the aspect ratio of your laptop and that is usually controlled by your video card, hence the grey area. Older films may be shown in a 4:3 ratio format whilst modern HD stuff will be in a 16:9 ratio. Changes can be made to your video card settings and most cards are INVIDIA make or use that chipset, but the video drivers all need to be up to date for stuff to work correctly. So my advice would be to either try it via your TV or wait until your new laptop arrives which will probably work OK.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:32 pm

The best way is to buy an Android box, most will probably have heard of them as Kodi boxes, though they are not Kodi boxes, they are Android boxes with Kodi installed on them.

The easiest way to explain them is that they are a smartphone without the screen, you use your TV as the screen (plugs in via the HDMI) now you have a Smart Android TV :)

Install Kodi through the Google play store and then add the video add ons, you might have read in the UK they are cracking down on the illegal streams, like the live sports and pay to view channels, which are free through Kodi, I can not see this a problem in Egypt though.

Besides Kodi, there is thousands of apps on Google Play Store that let you watch movies, series etc, just look for them via the app store and install them on your box.

Decent Android boxes are around 40 uk pounds, you can get away with a 1 meg internet connection but 2 meg is recommended, if you find the stream buffering, then there is (on most video add ons) an option to download it to your Android box and watch it later.

Every movie, series, adverts, karaoke, games etc ever shown or played in our history all in 1 little box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... x&_sacat=0

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm

As you say Keefy they have cracked down quite a lot and some of the best options have been blocked mostly by ‘TV-Addons’ themselves which seems to be the main one for adding sources to the Kodi application, so it is unlikely to work regardless of where you are if it is on the blocked list, one of the best free sources was Navi-X which had loads of stuff on it, but now its blocked.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 pm

It still works Horus and most likely continue to work since it is impossible to stop all the addons and streams especially ones from the Countries that have different laws to the UK. It seems like they are getting internet providers to stop some of these streams like they did with the torrents sites, yet in response to being blocked the torrent sites just open hundreds of new sites through a proxy :roll:

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Well I have tried loads of times to reload Nav-X since TV-Addons blocked it from Kodi and it is just not available anymore, if you can tell me how to get it back I would be very grateful :up

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 pm

If its live TV you are looking for then you will have to search via google, otherwise:

Add Exodus and Elysium, these are working fine for TV series sets, movies, documentaries etc

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 am

Yes I have already added the likes of Exodus, but I still reckon that Navi-X was the best all rounder, but as I said before they have barred it from being uploaded to Kodi.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:38 am

I used to download loads of music from a site called Limewire that has been stopped, anyone know if there is another site like it?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 am

It will be another couple of weeks or so before my savior has my other hard drive filled for me, but in the meantime I have found absolutely loads of good viewing on You-tube. Most are since I got here, but good TV never dates in my opinion, there are quite a few from 2015, 16, 17 to watch.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 am

It will be another couple of weeks or so before my savior has my other hard drive filled for me, but in the meantime I have found absolutely loads of good viewing on You-tube. Most are since I got here, but good TV never dates in my opinion, there are quite a few from 2015, 16, 17 to watch.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm

carrie wrote:I used to download loads of music from a site called Limewire that has been stopped, anyone know if there is another site like it?
Carrie, Limewire was always a bit of a dodgy site for picking up viruses, so you always needed to be very careful when using it. One easy method is to use YouTube for your music videos and then use another site to strip out the audio from them and save them as MP3 files on your PC, Tablet, or MP3 player. ;)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:36 am

We use a Mag and a Minix which we can link, we used to use Film On and Exodus on the Minix, however they both got stopped. We were told that all free TV will be a thing of the past soon, even though they try to get it restarted when taken down. Now its NTV and subscriptions. We do find that both the MAG and the MINIX are both susceptible to momentary cut outs especially when the AC units cut in and out. Yes, we can have as many AC units on as we want and the power is always there to work them, after living in Luxor its a luxury to be able to say that.