Home sweet home.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Home sweet home.

Post by carrie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 am

Well this time yesterday I was being served a gorgeous breakfast prior to going down to a beautiful beach with turquoise waters and a nice breeze to stop me getting too hot.
Stayed in a great hotel for a week, went out with friends to some great restaurants, had a wonderful week.
It is good to get home though. My own bed my own kitchen, home sweet home no where like it. :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Home sweet home.

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 am

Yesterday at this hour, I was having champagne brunch with an impressive mountain view. Now I am enjoying the scenery and the left overs, but I am getting hungry as well.

Though there are places where I keep my belongings, I do not know the feeling of belonging. Egypt feels like home, it feels safe, it feels right, but I am a stranger, a happy and very grateful guest. I would not want it any other way. There is nothing like returning to Upper Egypt after the most incredible week in Cairo, nothing like arriving on West Bank after a few days of luxury in the east.

Waking up each day, where you have chosen to sleep, knowing that anything you do not find on your door step is available elsewhere anytime, truly feeling at home, but ready to leave - that is living in freedom.

I am home where I am.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Home is where the heart is, and at any given time I am usually always "home"
Home, like Summer is a state of mind..... 8)

Home.......

phpBB [video]

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am

Bennu, a serious question, what stops you from living in Luxor full time, is it family, work commitments or what? I don't understand, you spend so much time there, and surely it would be cheaper to live in Luxor than Kobenhavn.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 am

Not everything in life is down to cheapness and cost. 8)

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 am

Horus wrote:Not everything in life is down to cheapness and cost. 8)
And it's possible to have 2, or even more, places that feel like "home"!! Best of both worlds springs to mind!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 am

An old saying, but still very true "Home is where the heart is" ;)

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Major Thom wrote:Bennu, a serious question, what stops you from living in Luxor full time, is it family, work commitments or what? I don't understand, you spend so much time there, and surely it would be cheaper to live in Luxor than Kobenhavn.
Using my Danish SIM, I get a Danish flag on my posts, but I am in the country of Norway. Everyone I meet here loves Denmark as much as I do Norway. They enjoy our white beaches, I like swimming nude in the fiords when noone can see me, they love the proximity of everything in our little country, I love the spectalular scenery, the mountains and huge forrests that we do not have. We complement each other, enjoy what we can when we can and are conscious of our own roots and heritage. Last month, I had another incredible holiday at the southern achipelago, now I am in the city, planning a weekend in the forrest, rather than complaining about the absence of Scandinavian products in Luxor.

I cannot imagine not having a base in Copenhagen, my brain lives there, but my heart is in Egypt, where I spend most of the year. I have no desire to stay full time in a country where I have no rights and all the men are married. I want to wear heals and delicate fabrics, experience world class jazz and opera, drink good wine and relax in Nordic design furniture. I also want to feel the dry heat in my sore body, dance to the mizmar, oud and ney and not be too far from Cairo for inspiration, friendship and the kind of entertainment that is close to my heart. It is all within reach but not at the same time.

When I decided to rent a flat in Luxor, my relatives were busy travelling or living in other countries. Now because of family illness, I leave Luxor more often, and my second grand child, inshallah, will join the family next month. I see no reason to limit myself to Luxor.

I only believe in one world, and I take what is best for me from two parts of the world.

I am home where I am.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Well I am home again after a stressful morning shopping for material to cover my new couch. I have chaise lounge and a couch so wanted the material for the couch to compliment the material on the chaise, took a sample of the material with me and boy did I get some help. Every shop I went in Egyptian ladies insisted on advising me what colour and type of material I should get. They didn't understand that I just wanted something plain that I could jazz it up with cushions, no the more colours and designs the better. Anyway to their great disappointment I eventually bought what I wanted, mutterings when I left the final shop with my purchase about the funny ideas Europeans have regarding furnishings. Sorry ladies if you think I'm boring.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 am

We found it hard to get plain material Carrie when we wanted it, in the end purchased from Qena. We noticed hough that the material shops were getting low on fabrics, and did not seem to be restocking. All we wanted was curtaining material, they wanted to sell us what can only ge described as Andy Warhole rejects

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:03 am

Loads of material shops with loads of material but I wanted a particular shade and texture I think I would have had problems getting exactly what I wanted anywhere except Cyprus of course bet they have lots there.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 am

carrie wrote:Loads of material shops with loads of material but I wanted a particular shade and texture I think I would have had problems getting exactly what I wanted anywhere except Cyprus of course bet they have lots there.

:a8: :a8: :a8: :a8:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 am

Horus wrote:An old saying, but still very true "Home is where the heart is" ;)
The only difference with that saying, which is true, if living here your under the constant threat of open heart surgery. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.