Food food food

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4604
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2971 times
Been thanked: 5600 times
United Kingdom

Food food food

Post by carrie »

Just been to the greengrocers and I have never seen people buying so much stuff.Bags and bags full of fruit and veg. I know it's Ramadan and people invite friends and family to come to take breakfast with them but they do go over the top.



newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7576
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2120 times
Been thanked: 6342 times
Egypt

Re: Food food food

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Just been to the greengrocers and I have never seen people buying so much stuff.Bags and bags full of fruit and veg. I know it's Ramadan and people invite friends and family to come to take breakfast with them but they do go over the top.
And so much of it will be wasted :(

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

I have never understood all this fasting all day, then eat like a gannet after dark, if I stuffed my face all night then I wouldn’t want anything to eat the next day either. ;)
Image

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3143 times
Been thanked: 4528 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I find the way many carry out the Ramadan fast very strange. I can understand the practice of fasting. I can understand the practice of feasting. I just don't understand the way so many seem to incorporate the two over a repeated 24 hour period for a month, culminating in a mega feast at the end of the Ramadan period. It actually seems to go against one of the reasons for the fast, i.e. to remember the poor and understand their daily struggles to put food on the table.
It's all very well for the military and mosques etc to provide a bag of provisions to [some of] the very poor, for Ramadan but I can't help but feel it's all a bit of a show - like candy floss it looks good until you realise it disappears before your eyes.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5937
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5918 times
Been thanked: 7384 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Food food food

Post by Dusak »

I've been fasting since Thursday, an intestinal bug with attitude :sk has prevented me from eating anything except the odd digestive biscuit. Twenty+ visits per twenty four hours is a bit rough to say the least, not mentioning the near crippling stomach cramps. This will be day six, and already have seven in the bag. :( [literally speaking that is, I don't keep them]
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3143 times
Been thanked: 4528 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yikes Dusak! Six days is rather a long time to have a gut bug. You must be exhausted. I hope you are keeping your fluids up and replacing your body.minerals with something like Dioralyte or homemade equivalant. I would never normally suggest anyone drinks Cocacola but in your case I make an exception You may find some relief if you drink some that has been allowed to go slightly flat. (A recommendation from the Sahara Desert Handbook from many moons ago.) There is also a local Egyptian remedy that involves chewing dry tea leaves which I was forced to try once.
Take care, hope you feel better soon.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

'Antitnal' or its equivalent, plus plenty of sweet mint tea will soon clear up your problem
Image

User avatar
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: West Bank Luxor
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 645 times
Egypt

Re: Food food food

Post by hatusu »

Egyptian men would be horrified at having to drink.mint tea. Is this a Luxor thing or Egypt wide? (They think it affects their "manliness")

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

I find that a bit surprising as I have shared mint tea with quite a few Egyptian males, one Cruise boat captain I knew who spoke little or no English would always bring out bunches of mint when we shared tea while trying to chat in his wheelhouse about the boat and the river and it seemed to be every hotel waiters answer to an upset stomach :tk
Image

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7576
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2120 times
Been thanked: 6342 times
Egypt

Re: Food food food

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:Egyptian men would be horrified at having to drink.mint tea. Is this a Luxor thing or Egypt wide? (They think it affects their "manliness")
I've never heard that one before.

Why then do local cafes (not just the touristy ones) usually have fresh mint available?

In the absence of milk, it would certainly be my preferred way of taking tea.....duckie :ks ;)

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

Interesting point that Hatusu raises though, :up in ancient Egypt the Lettuce leaf was considered as an aphrodisiac, maybe because of its milky sap, so I wonder what the association would be concerning Mint and affecting their virility? :tk
Image

User avatar
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: West Bank Luxor
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 645 times
Egypt

Re: Food food food

Post by hatusu »

Perhaps it's just a West Bank thing then? I've come across it several times.

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4604
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2971 times
Been thanked: 5600 times
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by carrie »

I know men over here who drink tea with mint, you mix with the wrong saot Hatusu :lol:

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

hatusu wrote:Perhaps it's just a West Bank thing then? I've come across it several times.
Its either that, or you make rubbish mint tea Hatusu :lol: :lol:
Image

User avatar
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Leicester
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1749 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:I find that a bit surprising as I have shared mint tea with quite a few Egyptian males, one Cruise boat captain I knew who spoke little or no English would always bring out bunches of mint when we shared tea while trying to chat in his wheelhouse about the boat and the river and it seemed to be every hotel waiters answer to an upset stomach :tk

Stop talking about cruise boats!


Im fighting really hard not to book it and go on the next flight!


Have a heart.

User avatar
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7931
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3481 times
Been thanked: 2538 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by Horus »

Just do it! :D
Image

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11690
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3143 times
Been thanked: 4528 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Food food food

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I find the way many carry out the Ramadan fast very strange. I can understand the practice of fasting. I can understand the practice of feasting. I just don't understand the way so many seem to incorporate the two over a repeated 24 hour period for a month, culminating in a mega feast at the end of the Ramadan period. It actually seems to go against one of the reasons for the fast, i.e. to remember the poor and understand their daily struggles to put food on the table.
It's all very well for the military and mosques etc to provide a bag of provisions to [some of] the very poor, for Ramadan but I can't help but feel it's all a bit of a show - like candy floss it looks good until you realise it disappears before your eyes.
Then again...


14725
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3867
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:38 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 1568 times
Been thanked: 1027 times
Gender:
Australia

Re: Food food food

Post by Winged Isis »

HEPZIBAH wrote: I would never normally suggest anyone drinks Cocacola but in your case I make an exception You may find some relief if you drink some that has been allowed to go slightly flat. (A recommendation from the Sahara Desert Handbook from many moons ago.)
Too many moons ago. That (or lemonade) has been totally discredited by the medical fraternity now.

Six days plus? See your doctor ASAP.
Carpe diem! :le:

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5937
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5918 times
Been thanked: 7384 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Food food food

Post by Dusak »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Yikes Dusak! Six days is rather a long time to have a gut bug. You must be exhausted. I hope you are keeping your fluids up and replacing your body.minerals with something like Dioralyte or homemade equivalant. I would never normally suggest anyone drinks Cocacola but in your case I make an exception You may find some relief if you drink some that has been allowed to go slightly flat. (A recommendation from the Sahara Desert Handbook from many moons ago.) There is also a local Egyptian remedy that involves chewing dry tea leaves which I was forced to try once.
Take care, hope you feel better soon.
As I've just posted on carries post, I felt OK within myself, no exhaustion, but tired in this heat. One problem was that I didn't mention was that the cramps gave me notice that I had to go, so removing those was placing me between a rock and a hard place. So not much sleep as I was constantly on ''stand by.'' I drank the hydration salts that you can get over here, plus doubled up on my tea intake. Its common to chew on wet tea leaves here as the bag tends to burst every time. :lol:

Drinking tea with mint in it is very common here in the coffee shops.
Zooropa wrote:
Horus wrote:I find that a bit surprising as I have shared mint tea with quite a few Egyptian males, one Cruise boat captain I knew who spoke little or no English would always bring out bunches of mint when we shared tea while trying to chat in his wheelhouse about the boat and the river and it seemed to be every hotel waiters answer to an upset stomach :tk

Stop talking about cruise boats!


Im fighting really hard not to book it and go on the next flight!


Have a heart.
Zooropa, the cost of the ten day Nile cruse with my friends company is 1,600 Euros. This includes all food, but no drinks [bought separately] no trips, [bought as you fancy] and no flights. But going off the £ price you quoted I think that you could still save a lot of dosh doing it this way.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7576
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2120 times
Been thanked: 6342 times
Egypt

Re: Food food food

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Zooropa, the cost of the ten day Nile cruse with my friends company is 1,600 Euros. This includes all food, but no drinks [bought separately] no trips, [bought as you fancy] and no flights. But going off the £ price you quoted I think that you could still save a lot of dosh doing it this way.
Per person?

Sounds expensive.....unless that includes a single person supplement.

Are you sure you have the right figure?

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Food glorious food
    by Major Thom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 am » in Kitchen Corner
    12 Replies
    625 Views
    Last post by Who2
    Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:32 pm
  • Cat Food
    by newcastle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 am » in Just 4 Fun
    2 Replies
    402 Views
    Last post by John Landon
    Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am
  • Cat food
    by jewel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm » in Just 4 Fun
    7 Replies
    679 Views
    Last post by Bullet Magnet
    Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:34 pm
  • Puy lentils with sea food...
    by Who2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:56 pm » in Kitchen Corner
    0 Replies
    79 Views
    Last post by Who2
    Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:56 pm
  • Food for thought
    by WIZARD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:27 am » in Kitchen Corner
    12 Replies
    482 Views
    Last post by Dusak
    Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 am