Cafeteria's demolished in Ramla, West Bank?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Cafeteria's demolished in Ramla, West Bank?

Post by newcastle »

Just arrived on post from FB friend :

"AND TODAY IN LUXOR WEST BANK RAMLA.... ALL THE CAFETERIAS ARE GONE."

Anybody know any more?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Cafeteria's demolished in Ramla, West Bank?

Post by Horus »

Surely this infringes their human rights?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think there is another purge on 'illegal' buildings and businesses. I saw something the other day that seem to imply that buildings on the west bank, but more inland, were being demolished. The information wasn't in English and the translation worse than useless!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Surely this infringes their human rights?
I think they were suspended long ago :lol:

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

According to Facebook Blue Sky has been demolished :a7: :a7: :a7:

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

These places are illegal buildings with no licenses President Sisi has instructed all local Governors and police chiefs that all illegal building and land grabs be cleared and returned to the Government and the Egyptian people by 29th May.

Apparently the same has happened in Tiba and around the old Luxor Hotel where all the shops and bars are to be evicted.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And so it should be. They take over or steal knowing full well that they have no, and never will have, any ownership rights. If it means bulldozing a few thousand acres level, then get on with it. They, hopefully, that have gone about things the right and legal way will reap the rewards that they have had taken off them in the past by these 'illegals.' Enormous pat on the back for the President. :a4:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:And so it should be. ..... Enormous pat on the back for the President. :a4:
I wonder whether he'll go after the "big fish" with as much enthusiasm and resolve as the little man.

On past experience........ :urm:

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:
Dusak wrote:And so it should be. ..... Enormous pat on the back for the President. :a4:
I wonder whether he'll go after the "big fish" with as much enthusiasm and resolve as the little man.

And what experience do you have?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:
newcastle wrote:

And what experience do you have?
The well-reported instances of vast sums corruptly acquired money, particularly during the Mubarak era, and the perpetrators either escaping conviction after lengthy trials & appeals...or being convicted and fined a derisory sum (in relation to what they were suspected of garnering) and then being rehabilitated...and even returning to their positions of power.

Allam (Water & irrigation minister)was released on a EGP 100,000 (!!!) bail pending investigations in March. He refused to comment on the allegations made towards him when contacted by Daily News Egypt on Monday.

Allam’s case comes on top of a long list of corruption cases filed against prominent figures of the Hosni Mubarak era since the 2011 uprising put an end to Mubarak’s 30-year rule.

Mubarak’s prime minister Ahmed Nazif, whom Allam served under, was charged with corruption charges which included wasting public funds and making personal profit during his time in office. In addition, Mubarak’s sons Alaa and Gamal, steel tycoon Ahmed Ezz, and former minister of housing Ibrahim Seliman all face similar charges. However, all of the aforementioned individuals have found themselves acquitted of most of the charges made towards them and re-trialled for the rest.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/06/0 ... n-charges/

The dismissal of chief auditor Hisham Geneina raised eyebrows as to whether corruption case were likely to be dealt with with sufficient transparency.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Oh that experience.

Not one of paying to operate businesses legally and correctly while others think they can do it willy nilly outside the law serving alcohol to expats cheap because they don't have any payment to make to the country that is theirs.

I hope they sort the places on the Eastbank soon who don't even sell the booze cheaper but still contribute nothing to the country.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:Oh that experience.

Not one of paying to operate businesses legally and correctly while others think they can do it willy nilly outside the law serving alcohol to expats cheap because they don't have any payment to make to the country that is theirs.

I hope they sort the places on the Eastbank soon who don't even sell the booze cheaper but still contribute nothing to the country.
I imagine you do! It must be frustrating to be paying your licence fees etc, when others operate "below the radar".

I don't know whether they're tackling this issue. My impression is that the current round of demolitions is more to do with illegally occupied land.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Egyptian president repeated his calls for officials to repossess all illegally acquired land by the deadline of 30 MayEgypt's President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi has renewed his call for the retrieval of state land illegally acquired by private investors, telling a gathering of officials in Damietta that "no one is above the law" – no matter what their authority or who they are.

The president's comments are his first since a televised speech last week in which he expressed his frustration at the slow pace of efforts to retrieve state-owned land. Shortly afterward, Prime Minister Sherif Ismail gave governors a deadline of 30 May to complete all retrieval operations.

El-Sisi made his new comments at a meeting in Damietta governorate on Tuesday for the opening of various development and infrastructure projects.

"No one is above the law. Whoever places his hands illegally on the nation's land is a thief and a land-grabber, no matter who he is, because he unlawfully acquires the money of the poor while taking advantage of his authority. I swear I will not ignore anybody's rights," the president said.

Among those present at the event was Housing Minister Mostafa Madbouly, who gave a presentation on efforts to end informal settlements.

El-Sisi called on governors and officials to deal seriously and decisively with those who are illegally in possession of state land.

He announced that a meeting would take place at the end of May to review achievements in reclaiming land, attended by governors and security directors.

Since last week, in line with El-Sisi's instructions, the interior ministry and the army have repossessed thousands of feddans of land.

During his TV address last week, El-Sisi urged the interior ministry and the armed forces to put an end to transgressions. Prime Minister Sherif Ismail set the 30 May deadline shortly afterward.

Since February 2016, Egypt has been trying to recover state land, with El-Sisi establishing a committee headed by former Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab, with thousands of feddans retrived and put into auction in the past months.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/269373.aspx

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

How long had Blue Sky been there? I had the idea it was pre-revolution??? But as we rarely frequent that area I couldn't be sure when I first noticed it (probably from a felucca).
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well back in luxor and look what they have done in my absence. Going to investigate later.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Some time ago this forum (and others) contained allegations of villas and apartments being constructed on the West Bank either "illegally" or with permissions acquired "improperly".

Any sign of demolitions of residential buildings?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Looks like MT is not so dumb after all, getting out when he did ;)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The Blue Sky restaurant was originally a simple single shed type building of cane and sugar cane leaf, a sort of storage for animal feed, similar to all such buildings back then on the Ramla. In the case of the present day (Blue Sky restaurant) building, it was initially a single ground floor flat roof brick building,

The owner of this building did not drive solid foundations, like most of the earlier 'development' in the Ramlar,.....for obvious reasons, and like many of the earlier buildings were hidden from view, when looking from the East Bank. It was some years latter that the owner of this building, a very well known, long time serving taxi driver, was under the impression that his building having survived several attempts to demolish it by the authorities, thought that it was seen as a asset to tourism and therefore, extended the property to create the roof garden and managed by an Egyptian man with the initials M.A. At this same time serious development was taking shape there, and no attempt were made to be discreet .

Throughout this early period, on my days off I would tend an allotment style garden hidden away in the centre of the Ramla. Within a short period, what was once a simple path, became a cul-de-sac road, my friend and his wife grew much of their vegetables used in his restaurant in Gazerra. I will never for get my last visit to this garden, I was walking towards it when I was approached by a very loud mouthed northern British woman, who informed me that this road was private, and tourist were not allowed. I never went to that garden again, the Ramla had become something new, and it would take years to become 'sweet smelling' again.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:Looks like MT is not so dumb after all, getting out when he did ;)
Fortunately, MT never lived in the Ramla, though saying that, I know of many buildings that were away from the Ramla, that were demolished by the authorities more than seven years ago.

There is a certain building just out of Gazerra near the benzine station, that a first floor balcony that had extended over a future pavement area was in breach of planning consent. The owner was told to remove it, they did not, so an earth mover did it for them,......I remember it well, I watched it happen.