Nothing is free

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Nothing is free

Post by Major Thom » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:20 am

I heard that yesterday was supposed to be a free admission day to museums and had been advertised so. Last night it turned out that this "free admission" was for local people, and the paper waving fanatics chanting "I am married to a local" Why is it always the same, advertising free entrance and then limiting entry. It seems that it's pointless advertising the fact when it is not true. Maybe future advertisements should include the sentence, locals and paper wielding people only. It would stop people spending on boats, taxi's and other transport to be able to admire nothing. Apparently the Mumification Museum is now charging 100le entry. Wow! That's 100 fags or 10 Stella's for the good Doctor. :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Nothing is free

Post by Who2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 am

Sorry wrong, 100 Cleo's now 130le and my chosen beverage Desperados now 20le.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:21 am

I am always surprised that people who are basically living in Egypt as long term tourists and in most cases have no other right of abode, should complain when they are treated as such. The monuments are a delight to visit, but surely that is not determined by the fact that entrance to them is free and I would be amazed if everyone living there presently has not visited them all several times over. So what is different now? Were you only planning to visit because it was free? Surely the free admission is a small sop towards an ever burdened population and not as a perk for wealthy foreigners to enjoy, so why are you complaining?. :st

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:42 am

Here in Turkey, Turkish visitors to archaeological sites and museums pay a different, and much reduced, rate. This encourages them to see and appreciate their national treasures/heritage, and reflects the vast difference in income compared to foreign tourists. I have absolutely no problem with this, or with Egyptians - the majority of whom could not afford ticket prices - being offered free entry on occasion.

On my last few visits to Luxor I've been really pleased to see groups of school children at the monuments, and increasing numbers of adult Egyptians too. On my first visit, back in 1999, there were only foreign tourists, and I have a vague memory of being told Egyptians were not allowed into the sites. Surely that can't be true?

Cigarettes, or Stellas, or entry to Karnak Temple? Absolutely no contest for me, even though I've visited many, many times before. You, MT, (dare I say it?) come across as a complete Philistine - or are you trying to wind people up again? If so, get a life.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:54 am

Horus I think MT was making the point that the media here has been advertising free admission to all museums on 22nd.

From Ahram online:-
Egyptian museums open free of charge to mark 150 years of parliamentary life. All archaeological museums in Egypt will be open to visitors free of charge on 22 October as part of the Ministry of Antiquities' celebration of 150 years of Egyptian parliamentary life.

From past experience of these events we did not expect to be included, but any genuine "visitors" would surely then expect to get in free on that day wouldn't they? :ni:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:35 am

Not seen the adverts Fablux but if that is how they were publicised then I would have thought that the occasional tourists would have expected "free" entrance. Those of us who live here know that these offers don't apply to foreigners.
Pity really that those who do only seem to go to see the sites when it is free.
Even more surprising that a member who practically called another a liar for saying that he had been seen in Luxor and not Australia is interested.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:45 am

Fresh air, opinions, walking around this wonderful city, mingling with the locals are all free, what more would you want?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 am

From my roof the only temple I cannot see is Habu all the others I can see for free....8)
Ps: That should have read 200 Cleo's for 130le..
Sophocles.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:56 am

I agree, but how do you determine a genuine 'visitor' over an expat? and I would say the term visitor is meant to mean any person going to the venue rather than 'visitor' as in tourist. To be absolutely honest I don't think that some offer of free admission on a certain date would influence my visit in the slightest as the costs are incredibly cheap to start with. To me it is fairly obvious that it is intended to be something for the Egyptian people to enjoy as it celebrates 150 years of Egyptian parliamentary life and as many would not be able to afford the entrance fees in the first place then the revenue loss would be nil. However the majority of the income from the monuments must be generated by tourist, so to try and distinguish one type from another would be problematic and also lose valuable revenue. I liken it to a bus pass, you would not expect a tourist over 60 years old visiting the UK to be given one just because their hotel was in the local concession area.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Hundreds of rowdy kids?

A good day to avoid the museums or monuments - free or not - if you ask me :evil:

P.S. They pulled the same joke last year...as I recall. Generally speaking, freebies aren't for foreigners.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 am

So what's the difference between a tourist here on a tourist visa and an ex pat here on a tourist visa? Both visa's are the same aren't they?
Besides that I believe, from Internet readings, the tourist visa is on red alert again with people getting asked to leave, some getting 6 months others 3 months etc etc. So all the grumbling got people no where. No one will be allowed here soon to live, I believe that is what the authorities want and that is why the confusion and frustration is being caused for. I may be wrong but surely after a year of visa confusion, everyone here is known and where they live, if they rent or have purchased, what cash they get monthly etc etc. That is why it is believed that tourists staying here are not welcome.Its a case of get out in your own time or be thrown out in our time.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am

I don’t see any difference between them, one is just an extension of the other and has to be applied for the same as would happen elsewhere in the world, lucky for you that Australia is more generous than Egypt in granting people residents permits, so the problems you write about will not affect you, …………. or will they? :tk

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am

Nowhere in the world allows tourists to reside indefinitely.

Those that bought in Egypt on the assumption that they could do so have found - some to their cost - that they were living in cloud cuckoo land.

As posted by others, more aware perhaps, the correct procedure was to apply for "residency"...available then and now, albeit with stringent conditions .

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:55 am

Well MT's comments about Tourists visa's suit me down to the ground.
I tried to become an upstanding resident here, jumped through all their hoops, but to no avail.

But in the end it serves me well, I'm on a long holiday I happily return to my beloved London every 6 months.

Over there I'm an 'unpaid working archaeologist on long sabbaticals.
So any other nosey parkers, go f*ck yourselves. I'm all legal and I'm not a 'kiddy-fiddler...'nuff said!... 8)
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00 am

Who2 wrote:From my roof the only temple I cannot see is Habu all the others I can see for free....8)
I can see Habu Temple without going to the roof, and Hatshepsut too, but to see Ramesseum, Luxor and Karnak Temples, I have to go upstairs. The view is included in the rent that I pay.

I am offered many things for free, but I am not willing to pay the price. :a11:

Each piastre that I spend here goes where it is needed, and that feels good.

I am sorry for anyone who was not prepared that even if it has been advertised in English, free admission is usually for those to whom it really makes a difference.