Egyptian Post Office

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Egyptian Post Office

Post by Major Thom »

Well I did post earlier that I had purchased some Bagpipe Drone Reeds from the UK at a cost of 50 English Pound for the set, I asked the supplier to send them to my PO Box in Luxor. They were sent on the 6th January 2016 so it looks like as with all small parcels I have ordered in the past they have gone missing. Eve though the UK Royal Mail sent them requiring a signature when the collector picks them up. The parcel weighed 4 milligrams, so did not need a muscle bound person to handle them.

It maybe because you cannot get these items in Egypt, (The Founder of the Bagpipes) when the usual opening of parcels took place, nobody knew what they were, and could not determine what tax to charge me, it maybe they are deciding that because i am a European they are discussing the maximum amount of tax they can charge me I don't know? But what a shambles, a national institution that is not capable of delivering a small parcel.

From that it makes you wonder, what would happen if business's set up in Egypt and relied on the postal service to deliver on time or withing a suitable time. They would not bother using the Post Service at all, and maybe move elsewhere to a nearby Country with a real and proper service.

It now leaves me to claim from the Royal Mail UK insurance, get my money back and get them delivered by the reliable DHL Service or Amtrax. Has any other forum members had trouble with the Egyptian Post Service? We once sent a Birthday Card to my daughter in Australia, 8 months later it came back to our PO Box saying the recipient failed to pick up, but when we looked at all the post stamps on the envelope, the card had never left Egypt, it had stamps saying Suez, Cairo, Alexandria, again Suez and finally Luxor. It really is not a service worth using. I once was told that tax on an item was so much, I said the tax is more than the item cost, so was told if I paid 50le it would be OK! another good move on the part of Luxor.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Egyptian Post Office

Post by carrie »

I have sent many things from the Egyptian post office, registered, which costs about 11le and they have always been received at the other end. A different thing about getting them delivered. Never have I had anything delivered even though I asked if it was OK to use Tutti Fruiti address because that has a proper address never came and despite my frequent visits to the post office and sorting office behind Hamees no luck.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

They may have thought it was a component for a WMD. :o

Then again...they might have taken pity on your West Bank neighbours. :P

Take comfort.....you drone well with or without reeds :lol:

I've always maintained that the Egyptian is a thoroughly nice fellah. :cg

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I have plenty of Drone reeds Newcastle, but they are the old cane ones, the ones I ordered are synthetic ones with a 15 year lifespan. So no rest bite for the West Bankers. :lol:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Major Thom wrote:Well I did post earlier that I had purchased some Bagpipe Drone Reeds from the UK at a cost of 50 English Pound for the set, I asked the supplier to send them to my PO Box in Luxor. They were sent on the 6th January 2016 so it looks like as with all small parcels I have ordered in the past they have gone missing. Eve though the UK Royal Mail sent them requiring a signature when the collector picks them up. The parcel weighed 4 milligrams, so did not need a muscle bound person to handle them.
4 milligrams? The envelope probably weighed that much and much more. I haven't weighed a stamp recently but ...

I don't have a reed to hand but estimate that it weighs around 10 grams.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If this had been me, after the first one went walkabout I would of uttered ''f*** that for a game of stonies,'' but to do it several times just to make certain that it wasn't just one of those 'one off's,' defies belief.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I got a letter once...

A gezzar passing by shouted "George there's a letter for you at the PO in Gurna!"
"What's it say ?"
"Don't know, I don't read English!"
20le and it got delivered to me by an official whist supping my beer at Sheik Ali's.... :cool:
Ps: It was a very nice fridge-magnet inviting me to my secretaries wedding back in Blighty the month previous! 'la whaala!
Pss: My builders, today's cleaners, really think I can ask Sisi to turn the electricity back on, it's a timing-thing! ''bless them !
'I kid you not, trust me I'm a ble*din Dr.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Sorry misses the 1 out of 14, This was a signature required parcel so we tried this method but it seems any post from outside Egypt will not arrive. The UK Tracker is of little use its backwards and forwards between arriving at dispatch point and sent point. :lol: :lol:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Major Thom wrote:Sorry misses the 1 out of 14, This was a signature required parcel so we tried this method but it seems any post from outside Egypt will not arrive. The UK Tracker is of little use its backwards and forwards between arriving at dispatch point and sent point. :lol: :lol:
"The parcel weighed 4 milligrams"

14 milligrams still does not compute. 14 grams I would believe - about 1/2 an ounce.
:wi

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

He's just probably trying to import some descent hasish, don't blame him in the least, if he's 'tooned into Eastenders.. :cool:
Ps: I'm not really an eastender, 'I just developed the accent to make me more acceptable.
'To whom ? I have No idea!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.