Luxor Opera House

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Luxor Opera House

Post by Bombay »

Who2 wrote:Quote:Luxor has a twin cinema on station St.

Surely you jest, not the old flea pit I passed on Thursday that hasn't open'd it's doors for well over 8 years... :cool:
no

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

There's one in the shopping mall on the right as you look at the station, upstairs from the chicken kfc style restaurant

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Robbo70 wrote:There's one in the shopping mall on the right as you look at the station, upstairs from the chicken kfc style restaurant
has a twin cinema

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I was in the one at the top of the Mall 4 years ago, the seats had been stripped out and the sloping floor had had its surface taken out. there was no scree and basically it looked like it had been abandoned. if i think correct there is what they call the Concert Hall on the way to Karnak, it would make a decent Opera House if needed.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote: if i think correct there is what they call the Concert Hall on the way to Karnak, it would make a decent Opera House if needed.
Sounds like the conference hall.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Yep, it's been closed since my first trip over 12 years ago, so I've been told by my husband and other locals.
Carpe diem! :le:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I was looking for an office for an Australian Business man and the Cinema was suggested, that's how I came to visit the place.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The Conference centre on the Corniche and the Culture Palace in Awamia hosted events last year of folk dancing from all over the world, which I enjoyed. I thought the facilities were very good. I am sure they could stage an opera in either place.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

I am more impressed with The Conference Hall than the Cultural Palace, but there is more prestige in building a new venue.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote:I am more impressed with The Conference Hall than the Cultural Palace, but there is more prestige in building a new venue.
......and more baksheesh ;)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

If you were to ask the average tourist from Europe, what they found disappointing to their holiday in Luxor, I think most would say lack of entertainment in the evening.

I think we can all agree these days that tourism in the future will be a two-three day event in Luxor, and most of these will be working class to middle class Chinese, and as I have suggested above the old fashion entertaining is really appreciated by these people, though such venues as suggested by others above are really unsuitable.

Across the main road from where I live here in London is an old place called the Wilton Music Hall. If you look at some of the images of this place, it is quite similar to such venues as in China, holding 250 people. Such a venue could quite easily be built, but certainly not in the town centre.

Chinese buisness people would build and certainly own the building, tickets for this venue would be bought in China as part of the itinary in Egypt, whether they attended or not. Little taxation would be paid to Egypt, but that is how China works. There would be no back handers whether it be Cairo or Luxor requesting this, and for that reason I would suspect this project, like others may remain as 'memorandums of understanding'

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Quote:and most of these will be working class to middle class Chinese,

Then hopefully in my dreams, we will get a proper working to middle class Chinese restaurant.
No dispersions toward any mock Chinese restaurants here, but I mean with proper Chinese cooks...
Has the old Wilton been restored to it's former glory yet ?... :cool:
Ps: It's not just the cooks it's the Chinese herbs they bring with them..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Te problem is, nearly everyone is working class, if you have to get up and leave the house to go to do a job, then you are working class. That includes lawyers, doctors, even MP's So where does middle class start? :lol:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Post 1952 almost everyone in Egypt works, tries to find work or is retired.

When you go to work in the morning, if your name is on the building, you're upper class.

If your name is on your desk, you're middle class.

If your name is on your shirt, you're working class.

:cg

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If they do build it, as mentioned, it will, in all probability, end up the same as the rowing club, the new cinema that was supposed to be showing English language films and has been gutted, or the ten pin bowling ally, although a private venture, didn't have the balls to open years ago, the white elephant of the conference center, the tourist board office, the new swimming pool that can't function due to having no plug 'ole. If some fool is offering to build it, it will be excepted, those in the know knowing full well that it will never be used. Let the cash be spent on the finishing of the Avenue of the Sphinx's and the last remaining flyover to ease the traffic congestion. IMO that is.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Has the old Wilton been restored to it's former glory yet ?... :cool:
Yes, I am pleased to tell you that it has. Regarded now as the last standing venue to the glory days of the old music halls, many varying performances are given on a regular basis. Like many professional people, they often seek out their subject history. I have been in the place often, when unbeknown to me at the time, I have sat around a table where quite important international stars have attended, simply to watch a performance in a unique atmosphere. No limos or such things, they simply show up, one such person I could mention was dressed in a old pair of jeans and a dirty old rain coat,.......but that's life.

I think most actors and singers today appreciate their roots of their profession, such people as the legendary Marie Lloyd, Dan Leno, George Laybourne to mention a few, who today in British society are forgotten. In the old towns and cities of China such people of their society are still very popular.

As I have said above, if any venue is built in Luxor, it will be built by China, owned by China, for Chinesse people, and ALL profits will go back to China. Unlike the West and Japen who have dropped billions of $, into the bottomless pit called Egypt, with little or no return, the Chinesse are no fools, you only have to look at their commitment to Central Africa to realise that.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Mahmood Idri's bowling alley ?
The lanes both drifted slightly to the left, not good for a bowling alley.... :cool:
Ps: "Nobody fu**s wid de jesus!

phpBB [video]

With Los Machucambos on 'de toones....'pump up the volume!
Got that wrong it was The Gypsy Kings...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Winged Isis wrote:Yep, it's been closed since my first trip over 12 years ago, so I've been told by my husband and other locals.
Don't know how it happened, but this should have appeared after the Dr's comment about Station St Cinema being closed down 8 years ago. There were no other comments after that when I posted. Gremlins. Sorry for any confusion.
Carpe diem! :le: