Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Visa

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:09 am

Sorry Glyph.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:46 am

Sorry Glyph, am guilty of the same thing as many others on here jumping in without reading previous posts properly.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I know they deal with many types of probably more serious situations GD, but you would have thought that they would know about the visa situation, small though it may be. The UK gives out all information on the UK.Gov Site, i don't think Egypt has this facility though for people to find out the simple things they need to know.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:22 pm

I think maybe they do MT but of course you would have to speak/read Arabic after all the information on the UK site is written in English.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:34 pm

I wonder, if you have to have a security check for a visa, then by rights you should not need security checks for those of us that have vehicles and have to renew the registration and drivers license. Does anyone have views on this? Surely one big security check covers everything.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Major Thom wrote:I wonder, if you have to have a security check for a visa, then by rights you should not need security checks for those of us that have vehicles and have to renew the registration and drivers license. Does anyone have views on this? Surely one big security check covers everything.
What.......and forgo the opportunity to create employment for numberless clerks?

Not to mention the profits of suppliers of stamps and ink.

For shame !!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:38 pm

The visa laws haven't changed much in about 64 years or so. The information about the requirements for all the visas are available on multiple sites online in English.

That visa officers have the discretion to deny indefinite renewal of a tourist visa, which is supposed to be used for visiting, not residing in the country, is not anything unusual or out of the ordinary, in any country. That someone would need their embassy to help them to understand this is beyond me.

That people are being denied entry or removed from Egypt is hardly anything new. It's been going on for decades.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:43 am

Its long time overdue then as when the government made it possible for foreigners to own property here they not only coveted the British spenders cash as then we were the biggest spenders on second properties, they stated that these purchases could be used as a second home, a holiday let or for retirement. People that retire tend to stay in the one place all the time which makes this six month renewable visa a bit silly. They should acknowledge our trust in this offer by way of doing away with it. [that will be me going :lol: ]
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

They have a visa for investors who put at least $50k into purchasing a property. That some people don't bother to do their research beforehand and go about their purchases in the correct manner to qualify for the visa does not mean the government needs to change the law.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Major Thom wrote:I know they deal with many types of probably more serious situations GD, but you would have thought that they would know about the visa situation, small though it may be. The UK gives out all information on the UK.Gov Site, i don't think Egypt has this facility though for people to find out the simple things they need to know.
Do you put search engines (Google, Bing etc) into the same category as 'social media' and avoid using them. It's amazing what useful information you can gain from both if you know how to use them correctly.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:24 pm

As GD says, there are procedures for longer term residence visas - 5 or 10 years I believe - which the genuine retiree can take advantage of.

It was a degree of laziness which led many to rely on indefinitely renewable tourist visas requiring a trip to the passport office once a year.

So now it'll be every 6 months.

Is that really such a big deal?

Change is always unsettling but we'll get used to it.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Most options are 1 year but they are renewable as long as you continue to meet the conditions. And there really is a wide range of options that one can qualify under.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:They have a visa for investors who put at least $50k into purchasing a property. That some people don't bother to do their research beforehand and go about their purchases in the correct manner to qualify for the visa does not mean the government needs to change the law.
I understand what you're saying here Glyph, but was this not with regards to new property in say, Sharm, hurgarda, and along the Alex Road for example, which are part of complexes, such as gated communities, and of course such old property in Zamalek, Cairo.

I am not sure if it was ever envisaged that up until recently Luxor would have ever been thought of such a destination for ex-pats with that sort of money.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:17 pm

When you say "that sort of money", do you consider it to be a large amount?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:When you say "that sort of money", do you consider it to be a large amount?
Well you have perhaps set me a problem, that when I answer, will probably get slagged off by the usual suspects on here but here goes,......

Here in the U.K. we have what is known as public authority housing estates, quite often these are rather run down areas of a town or city. The authorities nowadays sell these off to established tenants at very reasonable prices. The then owner spends a small fortune in creating their 'special' home. When it comes to selling this property however, at the end of the day, it's on a council estate, and the interior can often be quite offensive, and therefore total refurbishment often puts off potential buyers.

In Luxor many properties built by ex-pats have full length glazed windows and balconies facing south, and have a quite distinct European flavour to them. Unfortunately, there is little call for such properties especially from the native population, therefore the re-sale value can and will be much less that the owner ever thought, as the potential market can be very limited. Investing in property in Luxor is not, and never has been a good idea.

Therefore yes, perhaps in most cases $50,000 seems a little high for Luxor, but certainly not in other major established areas of Egypt.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:00 am

I see. It sounds like you meant a large amount of money from the perspective of the foreign buyer, not the market or the resale value.

However, you are right about the potential resale value. I saw a photo of one the other day, it had these turrets in the corners with tiny balconies on them. You could only use these balconies to stand out on them Rapunzel style. But no Egyptian is going to just stand out on an open tiny balcony like that and expose themselves to the world. That and the tomb-like domes or American style kitchens would definitely be hard to resell to an Egyptian.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:26 am

For a variety of reasons Egypt is not looking attractive to the European property buyer.

Here on the Red Sea , whilst much better than Luxor, the market is very weak.

Pre 2011 both El Gouna and the new development at Sahl Hasheesh were very buoyant. In SH people were gobbling up off-plan 2 bedroom apartments at £50-70k and seeing their investment soar quickly to £150k.

Now they'd be lucky to recover their outlay.

Although European interest is minimal, wealthier Egyptians are around looking for bargains. Egyptians, I'm told, love the sea!

Part of the problem for more modest accommodation, bought for £30-50k is that Hurghada is swamped with developments. Hundreds of thousands of apartments in various stages of completion.

You can pick up a 2 bedroom apartment in a gated complex, pool etc. for £20k.

All in all, it's not looking good for any European wanting to sell.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:56 am

When we took on our first lawyer here, an English speaking Egyptian woman that we chose off the British Government web site that we eventually finished with due to her exorbitant fees, she told us of this ''investment visa'', and, as we were retiring here and about to spend around £120,000 we should qualify. But no she later found out, not applicable in Luxor, as is the case with most things visa related. You have very little or no chance in selling your property on to an Egyptian because they ALL want it for next to nothing. For some reason they think that you are so desperate to sell up and leave you will be glad of just your bus fair home. I'm no longer on the selling market, I'm staying put, for as long as put is, that is. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 pm

A-Four wrote:Therefore yes, perhaps in most cases $50,000 seems a little high for Luxor, but certainly not in other major established areas of Egypt.
Dusak wrote:as we were retiring here and about to spend around £120,000 we should qualify.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Dusak wrote:When we took on our first lawyer here, an English speaking Egyptian woman that we chose off the British Government web site that we eventually finished with due to her exorbitant fees, she told us of this ''investment visa'', and, as we were retiring here and about to spend around £120,000 we should qualify. But no she later found out, not applicable in Luxor, as is the case with most things visa related.
Dr. Scott, the American cardiac surgeon who was once a member of this forum before he passed away, and his wife Sharon had no problem getting the visa based on their $50k investment in a house in the center of Luxor.

Just like most things visa related, some people want to spread rumors that it is a lot harder to get residency here than it really is because they didn't do their OWN homework.