Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glory

Re: Visa

Post by Glory »

Thankyou Carrie for posting your honest and helpful experience. There are many who are posting on here and other sites informing us of their first stages of application then seemingly dropping off the radar, or others who post partial details of their friends experiences then tell us they cannot comment further. One wonders, what was the point of posting in the first place!!! Once again, many thanks for your useful information Carrie :up

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Brian Yare wrote:
carrie wrote:Think you are a little behind the times MT, someone I know has just turned 60 and she has to work until she is 67 before she is entitled to her O.A.P.
While the pensionable age for women is being raised so that it matches that for men, this is being done over several years.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension
Very generous of the government, perhaps they will now make it law that women are paid the same wage rate as their male counterparts on like for like jobs.
Glory wrote:Thankyou Carrie for posting your honest and helpful experience. There are many who are posting on here and other sites informing us of their first stages of application then seemingly dropping off the radar, or others who post partial details of their friends experiences then tell us they cannot comment further. One wonders, what was the point of posting in the first place!!! Once again, many thanks for your useful information Carrie :up
Obviously you refer to my post reply Glory, which is not a problem for me, but could of been a problem for my friend as I would have had to name names to give further explanation as to why this happened. As you know, the rules state that no names are used unless it is OK with that other person or persons. I'm confident that they would certainly not agree to be named. My friend will continue to stay here on the six month visa, putting this unwanted experience behind them and get on with life. All I will say is that no other expat was involved.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The trouble with the State Pension in the U.K. is that it is in a mess. We are often told that people in their 60's are the new 50's, which is true for many people, but then again there are people in their 60's who really are like some in their 70's.

State pension is administered by the will of differing government attitudes, for example a few years ago the then government wanted to reduce unemployment figures, so as with a certain member of my family, at the age of 60, it became patently obvious that he would remain on unemployment benefit until retirement, so at the stroke of a pen, he was put on Pension Credit, his money from the state doubled over night, and as a result of the entitlement (Pension Credit), he was able to claim all the benefits under that entitlement.

Now, we have another problem, so I am informed by a couple of mates who sit on the 'back benches' of a certain house, the government want people soon to work up to the age of 70. The problem with this is that many people within the age of 60 to 70 can easily acquire a disability, which will not improve, but become worse as a result of their age. Therefore, the government have discovered a new increase in disability claimants entitlements, plus it's benefit, where if the claimant is still in receipt of such things as Disability Living Allowance on official retirement, then this continues to be paid until death, plus full entitlement of State Pension, plus benefits under that entitlement,..........what a joke.

This new idea of getting people to work until they drop, could end up costing the government a lot more than they ever thought.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't think I would want a 69 year old fire person carrying me from a burning building.
Or will some occupations be exempt?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Don't think I would want a 69 year old fire person carrying me from a burning building.
Or will some occupations be exempt?
Such career occupations as you state Carrie, all have a built retirement age, some at 55 year olds, where they are pensioned off, then at 67 plus, they then get their state pension.

I fear that in the future State Pension will be means tested, and perhaps not too far down the line this may include assets, that at present is only taxed upon Death Duty. I suspect they will abolish this Duty, and gain from a living 'tax', so the rich can get richer (that is the top 10% of people), and poor will become poorer.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Over a month ago I emailed the Embassy in Cairo to try to get some information re the visa, I have just had a reply.
First it started with Dear Sir, when I had made it plain that I was a Mrs not a promising start.
"We are afraid we cannot intervene in visa matter on behalf of individuals."

Hadn't asked them to.

"We will continue to monitor the concerns of British residents and if we become aware that new regulations are disadvantaging British citizens in Egypt, we shall of course, raise concerns with the authorities"

All I asked for was some clarification.

"We advise you to approach the immigration office in Luxor and put your questions directly to the officials who should be able to clarify and explain the policy. The Immigration officials are best placed to give advise on your visa.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any enquiries.
Our best wishes , kind regards"

So now we know,

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:Over a month ago I emailed the Embassy in Cairo to try to get some information re the visa, I have just had a reply.
First it started with Dear Sir, when I had made it plain that I was a Mrs not a promising start.
"We are afraid we cannot intervene in visa matter on behalf of individuals."

Hadn't asked them to.

"We will continue to monitor the concerns of British residents and if we become aware that new regulations are disadvantaging British citizens in Egypt, we shall of course, raise concerns with the authorities"

All I asked for was some clarification.

"We advise you to approach the immigration office in Luxor and put your questions directly to the officials who should be able to clarify and explain the policy. The Immigration officials are best placed to give advise on your visa.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any enquiries.
Our best wishes , kind regards"

So now we know,
Carrie, since the new visa/residence permit system was put in place here in Turkey nearly 2 years ago, numerous people on the Turkish Forums I read, have contacted the British Consulates in Istanbul and Ankara hoping, just like you, for clarification on really important issues. They invariably got an almost identical response to the one you received.

In this instance it seems that they're all singing from the same hymn sheet :|

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I don't think it's the business of our overseas embassies to explain the workings of foreign countries in the matter of visas (other than a straight copy of whatever the country in question choses to make public) nor to speculate on the reasons behind any decision made in any individual's case.

That's just how it is.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Incidentally, and this may be unique to Hurghada, but visitors over 60 can come and go (paying the $25 entry fee of course) with no regard to the 30 day duration of the entry visa..

They appear to be able to stay for several weeks beyond the 30 days and leave without penalty.

People have been informed by the passport office that this 'concession ' - if that is what it is - remains despite any 'new rules'.

I've tried, without success, to find any formal notification of this practice but am aware of several cases in which it was applied.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm confused! :ni: Carrie, you said in the first post of this thread that you had got your 6 month visa! Are you now saying you haven't?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:I don't think it's the business of our overseas embassies to explain the workings of foreign countries in the matter of visas (other than a straight copy of whatever the country in question choses to make public) nor to speculate on the reasons behind any decision made in any individual's case.

That's just how it is.
I think you are totally correct Newcastle, times have changed, I remember when I settled in Egypt, a very big problem occurred, am not going into detail, but it was quite serious. I rang what was called the duty officer at the Embassy in Cairo, Scottish chap answered, got his name, who told me nothing could be done. I told him that I would go direct through to Clive House, which in those days was a sort of clearance to the FCO, which was then run by Douglas Hurd. The problem via the Embassy was solved within hours, but that was then and this is now.

There are a good number of Brits these days in Luxor, you would think the Embassy would care more. I wonder if they ever get a call from Tony Blair's villa in Sharm el Sheikh. :wi .

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Ruby Slippers, yes I have got my visa, I contacted the Embassy some 7 weeks ago when there were stories going round that all conflicted with each other. Someone I know went to the Immigration office for clarification and received no answers. I emailed the Embassy hoping they would be able to offer some clarification and 7 weeks later this is the reply I received.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I recall an incident some years ago at an Egyptian hotel I was staying in where a fellow guest got into an altercation with a senior police officer...nothing that serious or physical...raised voices. He was told by the officer to leave the country.

He queried this with the hotel management and his tour operator who said there was nothing they could do.

His call to the embassy met with the response that, irrespective of the circumstances, he'd do better to comply or risk being carted off to Cairo where they might be able to ensure his physical safety ( if not comfort) but would not be able to intervene in a deportation.

He chose to leave of his own free will.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Sounds like a blanket response from the Embassy to anyone asking Carrie. They are probably like everyone else Carrie, they do not know. Does not sound like a good recipe for those that want to retire here, and will put many people off from investing here, or purchasing property.

This will effect the property market prices and also make Real Estate Agents the worse job in the Country :lol: unless you know of another job that may be worse?

I suppose though that those wanting to buy property will get some good bargains though, and those that built to sell to tourists will loose out.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Does not sound like a good recipe for those that want to retire here, and will put many people off from investing here, or purchasing property.

I'd have thought the availability (or otherwise) of consular assistance was well down the list of factors deterring people from retiring to, or buying property in, Egypt.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Probably is Newcastle, but Carrie rightly so put the Consulars reply on the forum for all to see, therefore I am replying to my thoughts on the future of what may happen. Visa's are really a thing Consulars should know about.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If you knew the kinds of very serious situations that embassies deal with on behalf of their citizens, you would be ashamed to think that they should be taking the valuable time of taxpayer funded employees to advise people on tourist visas.

For example, I have a friend who is a diplomat and one of the things this friend had to deal with on their first assignment abroad was arranging and implementing a clandestine rescue and repatriation operation in a very dangerous region of two children who had been kidnapped from the country they came from by their grandmother from the mother's custody and taken to the foreign country where their father was from to stay with their father who was wanted for murder in the other country. Also, the foreign country normally would not have allowed the children to be taken out of the country without the father's permission but after some negotiations the foreign government agreed to look the other way for a few hours when my friend took them on a plane back home, after having hid them in her own residence for a few weeks while the negotiations went on to get them out. This is the sort of thing embassies are supposed to be dealing with and not all of them make the news, not helping you to extend your tourist visas indefinitely.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

1 I never asked them to interfere in any way with my application for a visa.
2 I am also a tax payer.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks for the clarification, Carrie. I see now!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Major Thom wrote: Visa's are really a thing Consulars should know about.
Carrie-I was responding to the above.