Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Visa

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Well, I've driven in both places in the past year and I can tell you the roads themselves in Luxor are DEFINITELY better than where I grew up. I'm not talking about people wandering in the roads or donkeys on the loose or bad drivers, I am talking about the condition of the asphalt. Even in Cairo most streets are well maintained and repaved as needed. I can't say that of the area I grew up in, where also the weather is harsher on the roads. Now, maybe it is because I come from an area that has been demonstrated by studies to have the worst roads in the nation, even what might seem like relatively bad roads to you in Luxor is far better to me.
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Well, I've driven in both places recently and I can tell you the roads themselves in Luxor are DEFINITELY better than where I grew up. I'm not talking about people wandering in the roads or donkeys on the loose or bad drivers, I am talking about the condition of the asphalt. Even in Cairo most streets are well maintained and repaved as needed. I can't say that of the area I grew up in, where also the weather is harsher on the roads. Now, maybe it is because I come from an area that has been demonstrated by studies to have the worst roads in the nation, even what might seem like relatively bad roads to you in Luxor is far better to me.
That's the US not UK.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Well, considering this topic about roads started over on the Route 66 thread, it isn't irrelevant.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Walking to another local pub the other day she said with her architectural hat on, "look at the state of this ashfelt road, you can see all the cobbles."
The whole of our manor is cobblestones covered in ash felt my particular street is made of tarred oak sets.
Years ago they looked great now when the film companies arrive they roll out heavy rubber cobblestones rather than leaving as it used to be,
all very Charles Dickens'...
'anyhow how's the visa situation going ?... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:34 am

Quit correct at the time Keefy, but the Luxor times thing has been sorted, but you wouldn't know that would you as it was not contained within a PM. ;) As for the lap top, yes he did keep it, but that is now all water under the bridge. The reason he kept it was that it needed a new hard drive at a price of 800Le, an amount that I considered a waste of money with no guarantee. So I bought a new crap lap from a computer shop in Luxor, Mena installed the operating system for me and he bought a new hard drive and kept the lap top. He should of asked me if he could keep it, if he had done, I would of said yes. One thing that I'm capable of is forgiving people and putting such things 1, down to experience, and 2, placing them in to the past.

Since living here I've had three expats steal off me, a lot bad mouth me, a great many fellow expat friends embarrass me with their public attitude towards the Egyptian people, plus more. So Mena's misdemeanors tend to pale into insignificance as far as I'm now concerned.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:31 am

Dusak wrote:Quit correct at the time Keefy, but the Luxor times thing has been sorted, but you wouldn't know that would you as it was not contained within a PM. ;) As for the lap top, yes he did keep it, but that is now all water under the bridge. The reason he kept it was that it needed a new hard drive at a price of 800Le, an amount that I considered a waste of money with no guarantee. So I bought a new crap lap from a computer shop in Luxor, Mena installed the operating system for me and he bought a new hard drive and kept the lap top. He should of asked me if he could keep it, if he had done, I would of said yes. One thing that I'm capable of is forgiving people and putting such things 1, down to experience, and 2, placing them in to the past.

Since living here I've had three expats steal off me, a lot bad mouth me, a great many fellow expat friends embarrass me with their public attitude towards the Egyptian people, plus more. So Mena's misdemeanors tend to pale into insignificance as far as I'm now concerned.
No need to act clever Dusak by trying to make out that i am reading PM's :roll: I was not trying to pull you down, and I certainly don't have any issues with you, I just wondered why you was praising him when in the past you did not, I thought it might be that you was concerned over your visa after what others have wrote about him. :)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 am

Mina has helped me a few times in the past which I appreciated, I have not seen him for a few years now, but he came across has being fairly helpful. I did not know he worked for the Egyptian Homeland Security though, are you sure this is right? I always thought he edited and reported for the Magazine he wrote and produced. Mind you on saying that I have not seen an up to date copy of that for a long time. Just goes to show I do not keep up with the times on these issues.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:20 am

DJKeefy wrote:
Dusak wrote:Quit correct at the time Keefy, but the Luxor times thing has been sorted, but you wouldn't know that would you as it was not contained within a PM. ;) As for the lap top, yes he did keep it, but that is now all water under the bridge. The reason he kept it was that it needed a new hard drive at a price of 800Le, an amount that I considered a waste of money with no guarantee. So I bought a new crap lap from a computer shop in Luxor, Mena installed the operating system for me and he bought a new hard drive and kept the lap top. He should of asked me if he could keep it, if he had done, I would of said yes. One thing that I'm capable of is forgiving people and putting such things 1, down to experience, and 2, placing them in to the past.

No need to act clever Dusak by trying to make out that i am reading PM's :roll: I was not trying to pull you down, and I certainly don't have any issues with you, I just wondered why you was praising him when in the past you did not, I thought it might be that you was concerned over your visa after what others have wrote about him. :)
I was NOT referring to you reading PM's, I excepted your word years ago on here that you didn't. I was referring, and I really did think that you would of been clever enough to have gotten the point, that you named the L person on that nefarious post via a PM that carrie ether passed onto you, or quoted. Such things should remain private, although I have no problem with carrie discussing the subject matter it was up to me if I had posted the name, a thing that I had no intention of doing, not a third party. And no, Mena and my visa application where as far apart as far could be. Again, the conversation was in the Indian restaurant, not on here by name and really should not be quoted and used to make a point. I think that this post would be good for ST's integrity submission.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.