Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Visa

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:03 pm

I don't know how it works in relation to those who are renewing a visa in the country, but I find that many people who buy their visa in advance of travel in their own country, or on arrival in Egypt, are not aware (or conveniently forget) that holding a visa does not give you an automatic right to enter the county and you can be still be refused entry once you reach Passport Control. I don't know how common it is to be refused entry when you already have a visa, but I can imagine it may well be coming a more normal thing than an exception.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:I don't know how it works in relation to those who are renewing a visa in the country, but I find that many people who buy their visa in advance of travel in their own country, or on arrival in Egypt, are not aware (or conveniently forget) that holding a visa does not give you an automatic right to enter the county and you can be still be refused entry once you reach Passport Control. I don't know how common it is to be refused entry when you already have a visa, but I can imagine it may well be coming a more normal thing than an exception.
Surely not "normal"?

Presumably you & your passport would have to be on their computer as an "undesirable" of some kind?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:44 pm

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:I don't know how it works in relation to those who are renewing a visa in the country, but I find that many people who buy their visa in advance of travel in their own country, or on arrival in Egypt, are not aware (or conveniently forget) that holding a visa does not give you an automatic right to enter the county and you can be still be refused entry once you reach Passport Control. I don't know how common it is to be refused entry when you already have a visa, but I can imagine it may well be coming a more normal thing than an exception.
Surely not "normal"?

Presumably you & your passport would have to be on their computer as an "undesirable" of some kind?
OK, poor wording but I couldn't think of any other way of saying it at the time. I was trying to draw the contrast between that which has been an exception to that which could possibly become more regular - although it would, I assume still be a relatively small number of people.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:00 pm

That begs the question, all these people we are hearing are being made to leave, how many are trying to get back in, and how many are actually able to do so?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:That begs the question, all these people we are hearing are being made to leave, how many are trying to get back in, and how many are actually able to do so?
Exactly!

Being told you can return, and actually being able to, may be very different things for some.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Good points.

The person I mentioned was told (so he said) that he could return but his subsequent sell-up seems to indicate that he doesn't intend to.....or may think he wouldn't be allowed to.

I imagine there will be more stories in the months to come.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:42 pm

I have been told (not by those it has happened to) that those asked to leave have asked if they could return and received neither a yes nor no. That being the case how many would take the chance?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Wizard did.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:32 pm

From what I read (and interpret) on the EgyptAir website it is no longer possible to check luggage through to the destination when changing plane in Cairo. This means that one's baggage allowance is 1 x 23kg rather than 2 x 23kg.

This does not affect me, but may be of interest (or concern) to others.

"Through Check in

Baggage through Check in is not allowed from international overseas stations to Cairo via domestic Stations in Egypt and Vice Versa"

http://www.egyptair.com/English/Pages/B ... wance.aspx

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:32 pm

A friend flew back a few days ago and she was assured by Egypt Air office in Luxor that if she went early to domestic departures they would make sure her baggage was transferred to the next flight in Cairo. She did and needless to say it wasn't.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Wizard did.
Good riddance, people like him give good people a bad name... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Luxoritis wrote:We have just heard 2 people been denied visas and have to leave Luxor. No reason given just visa been denied. Straight from horses mouth before anybody thinks we are scaremongering. Sad times for these people who both own property in Luxor.
I have been helping a long time friend here this week that fell into this category. Owns a home here, told to go next week and never return. Sold all belongings, went to the court house to give power of attorney to a trustworthy friend for ownership of property and bank accounts. Only to find out by shear luck that no such order was in force, even having received such information via a phone call. But to late to salvage personal losses. All I will say about this matter to all that may suffer a similar worry, is take your lawyer to the passport office to check it out first. Just be careful who you THINK that you can trust. And yes ST, quite a few are ''bricking it'' after this fiasco.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

I wouldn't have thought they needed any formal order.

If he was denied a visa presumably he has to go, or risk arrest as an illegal immigrant?

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Dusak does this person want to stay now? Our Friends are going, they are fed up living like this.Think I would just go because what if it happens again? Also today heard of elderly couple on WB who have been denied access to their home in a holiday/apartment block. The dual nationality owners of the place have no legal right to take it but so far the courts and police won't help even though the elderly couple have all necessary legal paperwork.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Like I said before, always always take your lawyer with you, they need a good day out, know everybody and most importantly they speeky da lingo and have similar mindsets to those asking you the questions..it always pays to have a good and mouthy brief,
I should should know Iv'e had a couple.They made a film about one of them once... 'Gareth bless her little cotton socks.. :cool:
Ps: If they like you, they come really cheep, the one's that don't ? don't bother....
over 10 years ago I threatened mine with a 'kneecapping if he f**up, We've been best mates ever since, he's a local f*****media star now I see now! la whaala!
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Luxoritis wrote:Dusak does this person want to stay now? Our Friends are going, they are fed up living like this.Think I would just go because what if it happens again? Also today heard of elderly couple on WB who have been denied access to their home in a holiday/apartment block. The dual nationality owners of the place have no legal right to take it but so far the courts and police won't help even though the elderly couple have all necessary legal paperwork.
A fuller expiation would be useful... :cool:
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm

What is the "necessary legal paperwork"?

The best way to ensure no one can kick you out of your rented flat is to get your contract verified by court and then pay your rent via court. Also, note that the standard rental contract has a clause that you can lose your flat if you leave the country, so make sure to cross that clause out in the contract. Oh yeah, and make sure the person who rented you the flat actually owns it.

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:57 pm

I just said it in a general term as I don't have the paperwork in front of me. I am saying only what they have told me. They bought the property quite a while ago.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:36 am

My friend intends to stay, but as you can imagine, is disgusted with the lack of professionalism and total lack of interest in getting the correct message across to the recipient concerned.What disgusts and sickens my friend even more are the two that are known to my friend that stood in the shadows, quietly watching and waiting for an opportunity to arise knowing full well that the information given in the first instance was wrong and could have avoided a lot of unnecessary upset towards a really nice law abiding and unassuming person. I think in the future months some very interesting stories will slowly unfold.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 am

"intends to stay"? But how, does your friend have a new visa stamp in their passport or not?

There are plenty of expats who have declared they will never leave and die on Egyptian soil but is it really up to them to make that decision? No, it is immigration that decides.