Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Visa

Post by carrie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:45 pm

I know everyone must be sick of the topic but a friend has just rung me and she wants me to join her for a few days in Hurghada in November. I have no visa at the moment and am waiting for the interview, apparently after the interview you still don't get the visa but the papers are then sent to Cairo.
I would love to go to Hurghada but can you stay in a hotel without a visa? I don't want to book and pay and then find I am unable to stay there, any help?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Visa

Post by BENNU » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Bombay has sometimes told us that you need a visa to stay at a hotel, so I do not doubt that is official, but I have often checked in with an expired one.

I have arrived at hotels as a regular where they did not want to see my passport because they already had a copy. Once at a hotel in Cairo I had locked my passport into my bag with the reading glasses that I needed to open the lock and they accepted a copy of my passport that did not show the visa. Later I went to show them my passport but they did not care.

I have just spent a few days at a resort and timed it so that I could go to the passport office today, with all the uncertainty and confusion. I am sure that the hotels are aware of the situation, but you would of course be taking a chance.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm

I have stayed at a resort with an expired visa. I very much doubt they'd notice let slone be concerned.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:42 am

Visa or no visa just have your passport, they cannot read which visa is which anyway.. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:36 pm

BENNU wrote:Bombay has sometimes told us that you need a visa to stay at a hotel, so I do not doubt that is official, but I have often checked in with an expired one.

I have arrived at hotels as a regular where they did not want to see my passport because they already had a copy. Once at a hotel in Cairo I had locked my passport into my bag with the reading glasses that I needed to open the lock and they accepted a copy of my passport that did not show the visa. Later I went to show them my passport but they did not care.

I have just spent a few days at a resort and timed it so that I could go to the passport office today, with all the uncertainty and confusion. I am sure that the hotels are aware of the situation, but you would of course be taking a chance.
Why would any foreigner in Egypt not have a current, valid, visa? Why do you not respect the law of the country?

Or do you wish to be classified along with many others all over the world as an illegal immigrant?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Get your head out of the sand Brian. It has been covered in detail here all ready. Currently the visa renewal process is causing people to be without a visa until the new interview process has beencompleted. All they have is a number and the temporary permit to remain.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
BENNU wrote: I have often checked in with an expired one.
Why would any foreigner in Egypt not have a current, valid, visa? Why do you not respect the law of the country?
Are you talking to me?

A couple of years ago, I was denied a visa. I was ready to pack and leave as I have been the last ten years, knowing that I have no rights here, I am just a guest for as long as I am welcome and that is generous enough for me. Later they said that I could stay as long as I wanted and be prepared to pay a fine at the airport.

The ink is not yet dry on my new visa. 11,25 gineh, no questions asked.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 pm

BBLUX wrote:Get your head out of the sand Brian. It has been covered in detail here all ready. Currently the visa renewal process is causing people to be without a visa until the new interview process has beencompleted. All they have is a number and the temporary permit to remain.
And who said members of this forum aren't polite :)

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:48 am

BBLUX wrote:Get your head out of the sand Brian. It has been covered in detail here all ready. Currently the visa renewal process is causing people to be without a visa until the new interview process has beencompleted. All they have is a number and the temporary permit to remain.
I am aware that the visa renewal process is causing problems, but this is the first that I have heard of a "a number and a temporary permit to remain".

What is this, and what does it enable one to do? Can one leave the country?

And what size of fine should one be prepared to pay at the airport if one's visa has expired?

Polite answers preferred, please.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 pm

It may be an urban myth but I have heard that those over 60 years of age do not have to pay on 'overstay' fine at the departure airport. Whether there is a time limit on the overstay period, even if the fine waiver is true, I wouldn't like to say.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:39 pm

When I renew around Xmas time and do the visit,
I will take my mate and lawyer Amed with me, he likes a good day out, knows everybody, and I'll even buy a couple of cheap Gucci fountain pens.
"They love their pens, if you sport one for some reason, they think you are intelligent, it beggars belief.
But it does work wonders... :cool:

Ps: Once had an interesting visit with Ex Guv: General Selmi Salim, a more pleasant man one couldn't hope to meet, Italian cut suit, English brogues, charming.
I think his is now out in Baharia Oasis or doing time....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
I am aware that the visa renewal process is causing problems, but this is the first that I have heard of a "a number and a temporary permit to remain".

What is this, and what does it enable one to do? Can one leave the country?

And what size of fine should one be prepared to pay at the airport if one's visa has expired?

Seriously Brian I think that is a gray area at the moment. I will let you know next week once I have been to renew my visa I will certainly ask the pertinent questions.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:42 pm

They know nothing at the visa office, or at least claim not to, just told the basic have the interview then papers off to Cairo. I was told to have my phone with me at all times waiting for "the call". I am number 477 so presumably there are 476 people in front of me.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:22 pm

We applied to the London office Tuesday 27th October by post for multiple entry visas. They arrived back today, Friday 30th October, again by post. So a very good and efficient service.

But why is the expiry date given as 26th April? I feel as though we have been cheated out of a couple of days! I guess the period is 180 days, not 6 months.

So, does anyone have any recent experience of extending a stay on one of these visas? I would very much like to spend more than 90 days on the WB this winter.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:55 pm

All the reports I've seen (some very recent) on overstaying your visa ( I mean by a few days or weeks...not years) is that you pay a modest fine at the airport. Not even that if you're over 60.

As to whether this practice will continue now that the old procedures are changing. .......

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Brian Yare wrote:what size of fine should one be prepared to pay at the airport if one's visa has expired?

Brian Yare wrote:Why would any foreigner in Egypt not have a current, valid, visa? Why do you not respect the law of the country?
Do you not respect the law of the country?
- 150 EGP.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:35 pm

So,basically an ex-pat in Egypt is treated differently to a tourist?
They can go where they want,do what they want...just because they proclaim to live there..on a tourist visa?

Mark my words!This will all come back to bite you on the bum!

You really cannot expect "preferential"treatment just because you keep renewing your tourist visa.
And at the moment you do not have one!

I could get "work permit"for Egypt tomorrow..if I so desired!
UK nurse.Lots of opportunities there.

But you all seem intent on "bending"the rules"to suit yourselves!

Why else would any other ex pat/frequent visitor be advising you on the fact that "those Egyptians"won't even check your visa?

It's basically because they all "know the system"..and corruption is rife!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:40 pm

Who, where and when was anyone asking for preferential treatment?

Moonstone
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Moonstone » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:So,basically an ex-pat in Egypt is treated differently to a tourist?
They can go where they want,do what they want...just because they proclaim to live there..on a tourist visa?

Mark my words!This will all come back to bite you on the bum!

You really cannot expect "preferential"treatment just because you keep renewing your tourist visa.
And at the moment you do not have one!

I could get "work permit"for Egypt tomorrow..if I so desired!
UK nurse.Lots of opportunities there.

But you all seem intent on "bending"the rules"to suit yourselves!

Why else would any other ex pat/frequent visitor be advising you on the fact that "those Egyptians"won't even check your visa?

It's basically because they all "know the system"..and corruption is rife!
Words fail me. :xx
Nil desperandum

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:05 pm

carrie wrote:I know everyone must be sick of the topic but a friend has just rung me and she wants me to join her for a few days in Hurghada in November. I have no visa at the moment and am waiting for the interview, apparently after the interview you still don't get the visa but the papers are then sent to Cairo.
I would love to go to Hurghada but can you stay in a hotel without a visa? I don't want to book and pay and then find I am unable to stay there, any help?
You started the topic Carrie.
So you obviously have misgivings about visiting Hurghada without a current visa!

Are you "in the know?"
Are you willing to accept these nonsensical answers from likes of Who2 and Bennu and take the chance?

If so,then "good luck!"
BY is often maligned on this forum..but in my opinion here..he's talking sense!

You're talking about travelling through Egypt without a current visa!That fact doesn't even qualify you to reside in Luxor..yet for some reason,it does!A number?A fone call?!!

For goodness sake..open your eyes!

They're checking up on you Carrie!
Cos,you ain't a "tourist."

They're looking into reasons that you want to live there!