Monarch Airlines passenger allegedly started two fires

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Monarch Airlines passenger allegedly started two fires

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:38 pm

A police investigation has been launched after a Monarch Airlines passenger allegedly started two fires in the toilets on a flight to Sharm el Sheikh.

The Airbus A321 from Birmingham, with 201 passengers, was met by police in Egypt after a man had reportedly smoked in the toilets and started a blaze on two separate occasions.

The Daily Mirror reported that the man was also very abusive to cabin crew and other passengers.

West Midlands police are investigating the incident, which meant the aircraft had to be taken out of service. The return flight was delayed by 24 hours while a replacement aircraft was flown to the resort.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/passenger ... rch-flight

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Monarch Airlines passenger allegedly started two fires

Post by crewmeal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:00 pm

There are many reports via Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=passeng ... 8&oe=utf-8

From what I gathered many passengers moaned because they had to be put up in luxury hotels for 24 hours. It really beggars belief that some nutter starts a fire endangering the flight. I hope Monarch throw the book and claim ALL the extra expenses occurred the ban air travel for life. Jet 2 are getting on top by banning these creeps for life. Good for them.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 pm

And yet I learned this week, that despite smoking being banned for many years, the ashtrays are still in the loo because if someone smokes they need somewhere safe to put it out... otherwise there is a risk of fire. :o

These electric ciggies may be banned on flights, but at least they don't trigger any alarms in the loo.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Robbo70 wrote:And yet I learned this week, that despite smoking being banned for many years, the ashtrays are still in the loo because if someone smokes they need somewhere safe to put it out... otherwise there is a risk of fire. :o

These electric ciggies may be banned on flights, but at least they don't trigger any alarms in the loo.
I'm very much of the opinion Robbo that electric ciggies should also be banned on flights.
I'm addicted to nicotine...but a flight don't bother me.
In fact,it makes that 5 and a half hour flight more pleasurable when I disembark in Luxor and look forward to that first ciggie!

With sheer willpower,my everyday living is like a year round Ramadan!I don't take cigs to work,don't smoke from sunrise to sunset,and can quite easily not even think of them for about 10 hours each day.

Kinda sickens me that some people take the chance..when hardened smokers have abided with every rule being implemented and don't resort to other alternatives.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:
Robbo70 wrote:And yet I learned this week, that despite smoking being banned for many years, the ashtrays are still in the loo because if someone smokes they need somewhere safe to put it out... otherwise there is a risk of fire. :o

I'm very much of the opinion Robbo that electric ciggies should also be banned on flights.
I'm addicted to nicotine...but a flight don't bother me.
In fact,it makes that 5 and a half hour flight more pleasurable when I disembark in Luxor and look forward to that first ciggie!

With sheer willpower,my everyday living is like a year round Ramadan!I don't take cigs to work,don't smoke from sunrise to sunset,and can quite easily not even think of them for about 10 hours each day.

Kinda sickens me that some people take the chance..when hardened smokers have abided with every rule being implemented and don't resort to other alternatives.
They are banned - at least by every airline I know about.

And why do you support the ban?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:47 pm

I support the ban Z because I'm a nicotine addict and have complied with every law that has been introduced to discourage the practice.
I don't smoke at work,I don't "vape"cos I'd really rather smoke tobacco.

I don't substitute anything for tobacco,much prefer the real thing!

If I can abide by the rules set down by transport authorities..then it's only fair that everyone else should be expected to do so!

How old are you now?46,47?
Believe me..you'll still LOOK like a smoker..cos all those little lines around your mouth are caused by the physical effect of "dragging"on a cigarette or a "vaping"mechanism.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:I support the ban Z because I'm a nicotine addict and have complied with every law that has been introduced to discourage the practice.
I don't smoke at work,I don't "vape"cos I'd really rather smoke tobacco.

I don't substitute anything for tobacco,much prefer the real thing!

If I can abide by the rules set down by transport authorities..then it's only fair that everyone else should be expected to do so!

How old are you now?46,47?
Believe me..you'll still LOOK like a smoker..cos all those little lines around your mouth are caused by the physical effect of "dragging"on a cigarette or a "vaping"mechanism.
Expecting other people to abide by laws does not explain why you support the introduction of law concerning something else.

I don't support a ban on fox hunting by reasoning that I abide by the laws regarding tax declarations.

I suspect I know why you support the ban but are not prepared to say, which is why I asked in the first place.

I don't really care if I look like a smoker or not, I didn't quit for reasons of vanity and ive no idea why you raised this fact other than as I suspect, you are in some way resentful or jealous that ive managed to quit and you haven't, why haven't you?

Is it because you are a "hardened smoker"?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 pm

And what was it about ecigs that when you tried them you didn't like?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 pm

I am always surprised when I hear that any doctor or nurse smokes (or drinks ...) but I know it happens. Do as I say, not do as I do!

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:37 am

As far as I am aware, the electrics are banned on all flights. I am merely pointing out that the vapour does not trigger the smoke alarm so should someone less in control of their addiction be flying, they can satisfy that craving without causing havoc. Many would thank me for leaving a nice blackberry aroma in the loo :D

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Brian Yare wrote:I am always surprised when I hear that any doctor or nurse smokes (or drinks ...) but I know it happens. Do as I say, not do as I do!
Are you aware Brian that the biggest numbers of alcoholics in UK are registered GPs?
Are you aware that the biggest numbers of patients addicted to prescriptive drugs are nurses.

Back pain,,codeine and solpadol!
Stress..tramadol and zimovane!
Mental disorders..citalopram and seroxat!

Yet,you concern yourself with fact that some of medical profession enjoy alcohol and tobacco!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:I am always surprised when I hear that any doctor or nurse smokes (or drinks ...) but I know it happens. Do as I say, not do as I do!
Are you aware Brian that the biggest numbers of alcoholics in UK are registered GPs?
Are you aware that the biggest numbers of patients addicted to prescriptive drugs are nurses.

Yet,you concern yourself with fact that some of medical profession enjoy alcohol and tobacco!
No, it is the hypocracy of "do as I say, not as I do" that surprises me. Especially from those who have taken the Hippocratic oath.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 pm

I agree Brian - there is nothing worse than on day 3 after a heart attack, when I'm really craving a ciggie, when the cardiologist tells you to give up smoking and you can smell the fresh nicotine on him and see his fags in his pocket

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:47 am

I think you should cut doctors some slack, they have a duty to give you health advice and no one with sense can deny that whether you are unwell or not it is a very good idea to give up smoking.

The fact that they may smoke is irrelevant and does not alter the sense of their advice.

If they criticised or lambasted you for it that's another matter.

Parents often tell their children not to smoke/drink/eat fatty foods/chase a bad boy or girl whos only going to cause you grief.

Its all sound advice not altered by the fact that you have done some or all of those things yourself.

I actually think its better to try to advise people in an attempt to get them to avoid the mistakes you yourself made have made.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 am

Scottishtourist wrote:

And most mental nurses end up nuts, it rubs off... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:34 pm

I always inspect how the toilet is fitted to the frame and wondered if it was really possible to escape down it as in Leonardo's 'Catch me if you Can about Frank Abagnale.
I got to meet the Captain once on his flight deck after the toilet alarm went off, It's terrific trying to be told off by a kid informing me
"that 'he could divert his plane....?
"Yeh! 'go on them lets divert to Barbados! 'dare you? ...end of, great things to look at on a flight deck we were over the Alps at the time... :cool:
Ps: I could smell smoke in their cockpit..'it's stressful flying a plane I reckon, good luck, let em!
"So while your looking over your shoulder at me and I'm looking at everything else, who's flying this plane ? matey here ? laughing boy ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.