visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: visa

Post by A-Four » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:51 pm

newcastle wrote:
Given your obvious contempt for tourists generally you must be creaming your knickers at the prospect of the additional hassle they'll face.
"WELL, RE-A-LL-Y".

I do hope that Newcastle will forgive me, but I feel that the above expression could only be given in reply to his statement by the late, great, Dame Edith Evens.

P.S.- Most of the Brits will get this, but the rest,...........perhaps not.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:53 pm

I for one am not complaining about the tourists visa just saying that it is now 6 months what's wrong with that?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Mad Dilys wrote:That's not an appropriate comment Newcastle, actually disgusting.
Well actually MD, you are wrong, these days anything goes on this site, whether we like it or not, now that MT is no longer with us, none of us are safe,........and that includes both you and I. :wi :wi :wi .

P.S. - Where were you in THE APPEAL, when 'they bombed Coventry'.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

newcastle wrote: you must be creaming your knickers
I have spent many happy years away from the U.K., and am not fully aware of such English expressions, and have lead a sheltered and naive lifestyle, therefore could someone explain the meaning of this phrase,..............many thanks,.........in anticipation of your replies. :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Information I read today on a Hurghada FB page is:
If you have a recorded/stamped rental contract its 6 months if you own property with Green Contract and all correct stamped papers its 12 months. Anything else its 3 months.

The different periods of your visa maters a lot for many as ALL other paperwork in Egypt is only valid for the time of your visa ie car license and driving license will only be valid for the period of your visa so need to be renewed each time your visa is.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 pm

As Bombay says....and that's not the half of it. I read somewhere that only 5% of Egyptian property has the "green contract". Some people are in for a nasty surprise.

Stamped rental contract? Mmmmm...haven't seen many of them.

Egypt was happy enough to encourage foreigners to buy property here but now it appears your right to reside in it is at the whim of some jobsworth.

There are recognised procedures for foreigners settling in the UK. They are not unduly onerous and once you've fulfilled them you're in. In fact it's bloody difficult to get you out however undesirable your subsequent conduct might be!

As for my comment to Grypedoctor...I apologise to those members who found it too much. But not to GD. Her interminable sniping does nothing for the mood of the forum. Why some of you seem in awe of her depresses me.

She'll be rooting around and Googling herself to death for some titbit on me now. It's the nature of the beast.

Pfffff....

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 am

newcastle wrote:As Bombay says....and that's not the half of it. I read somewhere that only 5% of Egyptian property has the "green contract". Some people are in for a nasty surprise.

Stamped rental contract? Mmmmm...haven't seen many of them.

Egypt was happy enough to encourage foreigners to buy property here but now it appears your right to reside in it is at the whim of some jobsworth.

There are recognised procedures for foreigners settling in the UK. They are not unduly onerous and once you've fulfilled them you're in. In fact it's bloody difficult to get you out however undesirable your subsequent conduct might be!

As for my comment to Grypedoctor...I apologise to those members who found it too much. But not to GD. Her interminable sniping does nothing for the mood of the forum. Why some of you seem in awe of her depresses me.

She'll be rooting around and Googling herself to death for some titbit on me now. It's the nature of the beast.

Pfffff....
Easy enough to do but of course you need a visa to do any paperwork at the court.

Some countries do require you to leave the country and return in order to renew your visa so could be worse.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:32 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Actually, to be fair, it has been par for the course in the UK too, and I dare say many other countries around the world too. Yes, there are guidelines and requirements to be fulfilled but immigration officers do (or certainly had in the case of the UK) a great deal of personal discretion when it comes/came to issuing visas on arrival.
EXAAAAAACTLY. And if you go look up one of those lists where it tells you how long you can get a tourist visa for in all the countries in the world you will find there is NO country in the world other than Egypt that grants tourist visas for longer than 180 days! That tourists have it easier in Egypt than they would anywhere else and then complain, it's shameful and selfish and downright delusional.

I have no problem with tourists. I have a problem with people who are pretending to be something other than tourists while on a tourist visa and have an inflated sense of self-entitlement as a result. Even you buy property in Egypt, that does not automatically change you from a tourist into something else. It's a holiday home, whereas their permanent residence is somewhere else. You use your holiday home part of the year and stay in your permanent home the rest. That you sold up elsewhere is not the responsibility of the Egyptian government to take into account.

Any European who wants to stay in a foreign, sunny clime with archaeological sites to visit and beaches indefinitely could have moved to Italy or Greece or Spain or any country in the EU. Egypt never held out the promise of indefinite residency to anyone and with visa laws that have changed little at all in over 60 years, this should not come as any surprise to anyone.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
That tourists have it easier in Egypt than they would anywhere else and then complain, it's shameful and selfish and downright delusional.
Who is complaining?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:27 am

A-Four wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:That's not an appropriate comment Newcastle, actually disgusting.
Well actually MD, you are wrong, these days anything goes on this site, whether we like it or not, now that MT is no longer with us, none of us are safe,........and that includes both you and I. :wi :wi :wi .

A-Four, with due respect, you are welcome to your opinion. I happen not to agree with you. If I find something offends me I will say so.

I post a "like" without regard for the poster - just how I feel about what I read.

It is the same when I make a post of my own, I do not care about the personality that has written a post to which I am responding.

If I want to I will comment, if I not I won't.

Regarding THE APPEAL I saw nothing in previous posts that drew attention to MT's later declared traumatic time in his early life.

However, when MT himself enlarged upon the discussion, out of consideration for his feelings I decided that least said soonest mended.

I happen to think that you were wrong to make THE APPEAL and also to keep harking back to it.

As my mother used to say, if you keep picking it, it will never heal! Therefore, I will say no more on this subject. :st
Smile! It confuses people

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm green, so should be OK. I do not mind the visa being six months, the only gripe I have is that my passport pages get filled faster than a twelve month one, so, that means I have to renew my passport two years earlier than normal.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Mad Dilys wrote:
A-Four wrote:

A-Four, with due respect, you are welcome to your opinion. I happen not to agree with you. If I find something offends me I will say so.

I post a "like" without regard for the poster - just how I feel about what I read.

It is the same when I make a post of my own, I do not care about the personality that has written a post to which I am responding.

If I want to I will comment, if I not I won't.

Regarding THE APPEAL I saw nothing in previous posts that drew attention to MT's later declared traumatic time in his early life.

However, when MT himself enlarged upon the discussion, out of consideration for his feelings I decided that least said soonest mended.

I happen to think that you were wrong to make THE APPEAL and also to keep harking back to it.

As my mother used to say, if you keep picking it, it will never heal! Therefore, I will say no more on this subject. :st

With all due respect to your post here MD, let me make it quite clear, before any more of the usual bar flies gather at the foot of your post, I totally agree with your initial statement, it is most offensive. Having said this, you and I know full well that a certain writer on this site has a special skill of being quite antagonistic at times, therefore I can agree with Newcastle with his outburst, though perhaps may have used a different term.

With reference to your comment regarding the appeal I made for the removal of a certain link, I think you will find I made no further post after the initial subject post. I left it to others to debate, and if anything, to 'fish-out' why some one should place such a link on this forum,....I think I have already given you the answer here. You suggest that I 'keep harking back' to this subject, I have made NO further comment after my initial post. However you should look towards the usual bar flies on here, who although MT has long gone, they still 'stick the knife in', on various subjects on this forum,...silly sods.

As to your analogy, it is not so much a wound as you suggest, to me more an infection, and if not treated, or should i say correctly moderated, then will certainly become worse.

P.S.- If they have bombed Coventry,........they might as well bomb everywhere else.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

A-Four wrote:

" You suggest that I 'keep harking back' to this subject, I have made NO further comment after my initial post."

:st :st :zz :zz :zz
Smile! It confuses people

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:21 pm

As it has taken me over 5 years to 'thaw out the 'visa nazi I have no problems other than she 'the nazi, has retired, 'such is one's life'... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 pm

She doesn't go till December.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Well, things look like they do not bode too well for our visas. My friend and I went into the passport office today to get the facts concerning the now six month visa, so, this is what we were told. It maters not if you have a home here, business or rent, its six months. They now state that you have to go into the passport office 3/4 days before it is due. You then complete a form which goes to the secret police office. They then decide if you are granted a six month visa. The way I look at it, this gives them the power to say who stays and who goes even if you consider yourself to be of good character. I think, unfortunately, it could be a way of siphoning out a certain section of the expat community that resides here. But if that is not the case, everyone will be worrying if they are or are not able to stay.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Consider yourself lucky.

In Hurghada it appears 3 months is all they'll give now ('change of rules" according to the captain) whether or not you own property.

After 3 months they MIGHT give you another 3 months....thereafter your papers will be referred to....who knows.

Whether & when you you have to leave (presumably you can return?) remains unclear.

This from a property-owning Brit who applied for a 12 month extension, presented all his ownership papers, and had the 12 months brusquely crossed out and 3 substituted.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Good on them for doing proper checks before they dish out the visas. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:18 pm

The gist of it appears to be that, as a tourist, 3 months is enough.....which seems fair enough.

If you want to stay more than 3 months then you are going to have to come up with some kind of explanation, possibly via interview....again, fair enough.

As I'm never here continuously for more than 3/4 months it doesn't affect me....apart from the additional hassle of applying for extensions half a dozen times a year (oh joy!) and a similar number of clashes with the visa sharks at the airport.

I wonder what will happen to those that have been here for years and rarely, if ever, leave :ni:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:57 pm

I can still obtain a multiple entry visa as last year.

A multiple-entry visa (£32) can only be applied for prior to travelling and valid for the applicant the right to a maximum 90 days stay in Egypt, 6 months, during which the applicant can enter Egypt more than once.

I will probably manage this winter with one of these and maybe a single-entry 60 day visa (£20) if I come yet again late in the season. Until I visited the consulate website I did not realise that the single entry visa was for 60 days!

This does not help those who want to stay for a very extended period though. The real nuisance is the postal order, and the visa being dated when issued, not on arrival in Egypt.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=36208