Another Robbery

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Another Robbery

Post by Chris »

My electrician told me yesterday that his wife rescued a European woman from her flat (off medina street) on Thusrday. She had been tied to a chair. She told the electrician's wife that 4 Egyptian guys busrt into her flat and that they took her credit cards and money and threatened to kill her if she did not give them her pin numbers!

It seems that we must all be alert to this type of problem and take more precautions to keep ourselves safe?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Another Robbery

Post by BENNU »

Chris wrote:It seems that we must all be alert to this type of problem and take more precautions to keep ourselves safe?
Yes we must, how horrible. :(

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

A sure sign that the lack of work and money is taking its toll.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Luxor Pharoahs wrote:A sure sign that the lack of work and money is taking its toll.
5 minutes ago you were saying nobody's too poor :urm:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Chris wrote:My electrician told me yesterday that his wife rescued a European woman from her flat (off medina street) on Thusrday. She had been tied to a chair. She told the electrician's wife that 4 Egyptian guys busrt into her flat and that they took her credit cards and money and threatened to kill her if she did not give them her pin numbers!

It seems that we must all be alert to this type of problem and take more precautions to keep ourselves safe?
Are you sure with your facts here Chris,.........perhaps you may agree, 'It's not unknown for people to get hold of the wrong end of the stick, or to misunderstand, or even fabricate'.

Perhaps, you might like to re-think your above statement, just in case some one might test you in court.

Are we saying you're lying here Chris ? Well no,...........but then again, others might say yes.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

A-Four wrote:
Chris wrote:My electrician told me yesterday that his wife rescued a European woman from her flat (off medina street) on Thusrday. She had been tied to a chair. She told the electrician's wife that 4 Egyptian guys busrt into her flat and that they took her credit cards and money and threatened to kill her if she did not give them her pin numbers!

Are you sure with your facts here Chris,.........perhaps you may agree, 'It's not unknown for people to get hold of the wrong end of the stick, or to misunderstand, or even fabricate'.

Perhaps, you might like to re-think your above statement, just in case some one might test you in court.

Are we saying you're lying here Chris ? Well no,...........but then again, others might say yes.
Im not up on Egyptian law but I would have thought Chris is in no danger.

All that's been done is that a story has been relayed, the only thing Chris needs to be sure about is that the facts as told have been reproduced accurately.

If the originator has made it up or falsely represented it then its not Chris who will be in trouble.

In any case, right or wrong true or false, if it makes people more vigilant then that's a good thing.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Zooropa wrote:
A-Four wrote:

Im not up on Egyptian law but I would have thought Chris is in no danger.

All that's been done is that a story has been relayed, the only thing Chris needs to be sure about is that the facts as told have been reproduced accurately.

If the originator has made it up or falsely represented it then its not Chris who will be in trouble.

In any case, right or wrong true or false, if it makes people more vigilant then that's a good thing.
Sorry Zoo, I think you have missed the irony of this post, as to a certain comment elsewhere, and it seems that Newcastle is now under sedation having had his pre-med, from an agency low paid nurse, who's only previous needle experience has been or either rhinos or elephants, unlike the training of our great NHS nurses who learn by the orange method,.......still it's all good fun, what do you say ST ?

Now, when he wakes up, one may find that he writes a load of jibberish, nothing new there then :wi .

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

A-Four wrote:Sorry Zoo, I think you have missed the irony of this post, as to a certain comment elsewhere, and it seems that Newcastle is now under sedation having had his pre-med, from an agency low paid nurse, who's only previous needle experience has been or either rhinos or elephants, unlike the training of our great NHS nurses who learn by the orange method,.......still it's all good fun, what do you say ST ?

Now, when he wakes up, one may find that he writes a load of jibberish, nothing new there then :wi .
Ah, then if this is the case I withdraw, I must say its not often you leave me scratching my head, Us Leicesterians have too much common sense for that :br

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: what do you say ST ?

I'm pretty sure your Scottish friend would agree. You share the same sense of humour and enjoy similar levels of intellect :lol:

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

Its the youngsters who mainly have no money, many of them are up all night and then cannot get up for a 8 or 9 hour shift the next day. every one else seems to be able to pay for new buildings, extensions, rents etc etc. The good thing about Luxor is the fact the Court building is massive compared to the size of the town, this was once pointed out to me by a family member, who asked why?

Subversion

Post by Subversion »

Legend has it that when Egypt opened its doors to mass tourism in the late 80's there was an acknowledgement that increased tourism would = increased crime - and a corresponding investment was made in building prisons, courts etc, such was the "faith" of the Egyptian government in its own people!

I am not sure this is true - I will leave it to those who have a much better knowledge of modern Egyptian society to comment.

However, what was true - back in the early 90's it was forbidden for Egyptians to be in the company of "tourists" unless it was part of their job.

Every hotel and bar had tourist police stationed outside and Egyptians seen in the company of "tourists" would be hauled off - over time this policy was "manipulated" to provide a nice little earner and you became prepared to hand out baksheesh on the door of such establishments to be left alone to enter and leave with Egyptian friends.

Certainly in the last 30 years, there has never been a "trussing" relationship between Egypt/Egyptians and tourists on all sides and yet we wonder why things are as they are?

Sx

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

newcastle wrote:
Luxor Pharoahs wrote:A sure sign that the lack of work and money is taking its toll.
5 minutes ago you were saying nobody's too poor :urm:
"Their not, their' out robbing people…. :cool:
Ps: You wait they'll be insurance companies cold calling trying to flog you protection soon…
Pss: The reason we had excellent Tourist Police was down to one man Colonel Hafez now General Hafez.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Good point Subversion.

I do recall a lot of hassle a few years back and used to cringe at the way the police seemed to regard every Egyptian as a potential threat to any tourist to whom he was speaking.

My first visit to Luxor included a trip to the Sound & Light with an Egyptian friend who, for some reason, was relieved of his ID. On leaving the policeman who took it was nowhere to be found. We spent the following day recovering from the police and, after I kicked up a fuss, obtained a 2 page handwritten letter from the captain giving us permission to bein each other's company!

Quite extraordinary!

It seems to have gotten a lot better in recenty years.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Q:It seems to have gotten a lot better in recenty years.
No it's got a lot worse, bring back Gen Hafez!…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

During the early years, on holiday then living here it became quite embarrassing if we went out in the company of Egyptian friends. They had to say why they were with us, hand over their ID card if going into a hotel for a drink or to meet someone in our company. Even got stopped going into the bank to hand cash over for the build. They were treated like second class citizens in their own country. A Christian friend of ours had to have a letter on him all the time while in our company, was always getting stopped. One of the upsides of Rev. 1 was this seemed to totally disappear overnight. I'm in no doubt that if this law of aggravation still existed today, my friend and I would not have the freedom to wander the streets of Luxor with the ease that we enjoy today.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.