New Governor of Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: New Governor of Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:13 am

The place needs a bloody good clean up!!!!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:27 am

Mad Dilys wrote:Reminds me of when a "new broom" cleaned up Medina Street many moons ago............ 8)
Yes, but he had the help of the expats for that photo call. I doubt that this new guy needs such help which will no doubt deeply deeply upset at least two female residents. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:25 am

In some respects I cannot see why the Governor should really need to see ex pats, we are here either for retirement, the history or whatever, some of course are here and running business's. Those running business's I would expect to want to know what is happening, all others really should have no input. I remember the fact of discussing ATM's on the West Bank, did it happen? I remember the fact there was going to be a new food processing factory in or around Luxor, did this happen? I remember there was going to be a small office situated in the Tourist Board Office near the Railway Station, did this happen?

The New Governor has a tough task on his hands, and he should mainly be concentrating on what Luxor needs, not on ex pats bright ideas. Many ideas may be good and easily managed or brought into operation with small or very little amounts of money. But they all fall by the wayside, so to me the best thing is to let those that know better get on with their job, and hopefully improvements will follow.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am

Dusak wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:Reminds me of when a "new broom" cleaned up Medina Street many moons ago............ 8)
Yes, but he had the help of the expats for that photo call. I doubt that this new guy needs such help which will no doubt deeply deeply upset at least two female residents. :lol:
Really? I am talking of the clean-up of about 1994/1995. There weren't noticeable amounts of ex-pats on the ground then - at least I knew very few.

Medina street was a rat infested hell hole, there was barely room for a push bike to get through, no chance for emergency vehicles.

Buffaloes were kept on the site of the present Vodaphone corner, separated from Medina street by a high wall. When the army/police swept down the street confiscating everything outside the shops there was a tide of people running in front of them carrying anything they could lay their hands on -and threw it over the wall and into the arms of the waiting soldiers hiding there.

Local people protested of course, and a small amount of local fruit and veg growers were allowed to use a side street under supervision, for a while.

The water cannon stayed at each end of Medina for about a week I think.

The flats near the Tutotel were "invaded" at the same time, all balconies were cleared of rubbish and pigeons, as was the roof.

The guy responsible for the cleanup had everything so well organised, it was quick, clean and frankly amazing. :up
Smile! It confuses people

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 am

That governor told the vet at the Brooke (this is a direct quote as reported by the vet at the time): "I have a dream, that one day I wake up and there are no animals in the streets of Luxor."

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:That governor told the vet at the Brooke (this is a direct quote as reported by the vet at the time): "I have a dream, that one day I wake up and there are no animals in the streets of Luxor."
Quite right too! The streets of Luxor are no place for horses, donkeys, dogs, rats (both two legged and four legged) ..................car drivers, bicycle riders, pedestrians and beggars.

Leave the streets to the legion of crazy motor cyclists say I. 8)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 pm

That governor also had an issue with people in the streets. He told me, "The people here are uncivilized. They sit on the ground to wait for the bus." This was one of these former generals from Cairo. I silently thought, "Well, at least they can sit and wait and don't have to chase after the bus" as was the case in Cairo those days with the buses just slowing down at stops but never actually coming to a stop.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:That governor also had an issue with people in the streets. He told me, "The people here are uncivilized. They sit on the ground to wait for the bus." This was one of these former generals from Cairo. I silently thought, "Well, at least they can sit and wait and don't have to chase after the bus" as was the case in Cairo those days with the buses just slowing down at stops but never actually coming to a stop.
God help you if you wanted to get off! :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Mad Dilys wrote:
Dusak wrote:
Really? I am talking of the clean-up of about 1994/1995. There weren't noticeable amounts of ex-pats on the ground then - at least I knew very few.

Medina street was a rat infested hell hole, there was barely room for a push bike to get through, no chance for emergency vehicles.

Buffaloes were kept on the site of the present Vodaphone corner, separated from Medina street by a high wall. When the army/police swept down the street confiscating everything outside the shops there was a tide of people running in front of them carrying anything they could lay their hands on -and threw it over the wall and into the arms of the waiting soldiers hiding there.

Local people protested of course, and a small amount of local fruit and veg growers were allowed to use a side street under supervision, for a while.

The water cannon stayed at each end of Medina for about a week I think.

The flats near the Tutotel were "invaded" at the same time, all balconies were cleared of rubbish and pigeons, as was the roof.

The guy responsible for the cleanup had everything so well organised, it was quick, clean and frankly amazing. :up
Sorry MD I was referring to the one later than that one. When new gov. 2 or 3 or 4 liked to involve the vulnerable and stupid expats. He made a public appeal for some scrubbers to help him and was inundated with willing hands. ;) I was far far away on yours, and far far too young to have known about such things. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:That governor told the vet at the Brooke (this is a direct quote as reported by the vet at the time): "I have a dream, that one day I wake up and there are no animals in the streets of Luxor."
Humans are animals too. :-)