Wardens update - threats against foreigners in Egypt

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Wardens update - threats against foreigners in Egypt

Post by Dusak »

Dear All,

I hope all is well.

You may have heard about a video message released over the weekend making threats against foreigners in Egypt. We are looking into this message and looking carefully for any further developments.

We keep our travel advice under close review and will change it as the situation dictates. Our long standing advice on terrorism is:

Terrorists continue to plan attacks in Egypt. Attacks could be indiscriminate and occur without prior warning. Foreigners could be targeted in tourist resorts or other locations frequented by foreigners. Previous attacks have almost exclusively targeted the security forces, their facilities and other government buildings. You should take great care near these places.

I am travelling for the next couple of weeks. If you have any questions please contact Hala Hamam in my absence.

Regards

John

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Wardens update

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I have read/heard several things from media sources of unknown reliability concerning Luxor. One suggested the people (Egyptians) of Luxor were being warned to stay home, presumably because some sort of attack might be carried out. The other suggested that one of the big terrorist groups of the 90s was planning on taking up arms again in governorates that had minimal security presence, among them Luxor and Red Sea.

I haven't heard anything about a video message, but maybe that was the source for the sources I heard this from.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well I went to look for the video and found it was broadcast on one of the official MB channels. It wasn't just some random video by some unknown group on YouTube. It doesn't specify Luxor but it does say that foreigners have until Feb 11 to leave, foreign companies until Feb 20, and foreign embassies until the end of the month. After that, they will be targeted.

All I can say is, read up on your Algerian history.

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa »

Glyph, could I possibly ask you to post the link you found? Thanks..
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Wardens update - threats against foreigners in Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I found this article:

Muslim Brotherhood Gives Foreigners Ten Days to Pack Bags and Leave Egypt

The so-called "leadership of the revolutionary youth" of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood has threatened foreigners with physical violence, demanding that they leave Egypt by February 11.

Elements of the "leadership of the revolutionary youth" of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt have issued a statement demanding that foreigners leave the country before February 11, threatening violence if their demands are not met.

An anchor on the Brotherhood-associated television channel Rabia, transmitting from Turkey, aired the statement on Saturday, citing unnamed elements of the "leadership of the revolutionary youth."

According to the statement, foreigners, as well as companies, embassies and consulates must also end their activities in the country, threatening physical violence if their demands are not met.

On Saturday evening, Rabia's Facebook page released a statement noting that it "opposes violence," and that "the sensational statement was only supposed to be a topic for discussion in the studio." The representatives of the channels cannot confirm whether the statement has "any basis in reality," according to media reports.

This is not the first threat against foreigners to have been issued by militants in Egypt. Last year, extremists operating in northern Sinai also promised to cause harm to foreign tourists visiting the country.

Source: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20150 ... 08929.html

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Driving through Luxor this afternoon I noticed two plain clothed police standing with their automatic weapons under their jackets. One was half way down the road towards the passport office, the other at the traffic lights near the Christian church. Perhaps they are been on a red alert. Its a long time since I last saw the uzi stylists.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I'm 'outa here 'bruvver!……. :cool:
phpBB [video]

Q: How do you address a guy with a kalashnikov ? A: Sir's always a good bet!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

God help me then. I'm arriving on the 10th!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Kaiserbernese wrote:God help me then. I'm arriving on the 10th!
I don't arrive until 21st Feb. Will anyone be left then?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:
Kaiserbernese wrote:God help me then. I'm arriving on the 10th!
I don't arrive until 21st Feb. Will anyone be left then?
Don't worry Brian, I shall be there much earlier than you, and if it is as bad as what some are predicting, I shall certainly put up a warning on here.

In the meantime, I am more than a little concerned by the B.B.C.'s 6 p.m. news yesterday to inform all of us in the U.K. that the Australian chap had been released and was now on his way home. The time taken up on this item, to give us this good news was almost four mins. Immediately after this they informed us that 183 people had been sentenced to death by an Egyptian court. This statement was allocated less than 20 seconds. Think carefully about this,.......had this happened anywhere else in the world, there would have been an international outcry.

If these executions are carried out, I certainly do fear there will be BIG problems internally in Egypt. This morning we learn the a bomb exploded up the road from the Egyptian Museum, and two further devices de-fused at Cairo International Airport.

I am more than grateful to the likes of Keefy here, who ALWAYS says the truth about the situation in Luxor, rather than one or two on here in the past that, even if an atom-bomb fell on Luxor, they would still say,........'things are getting better, now the dust is beginning to settle,.........Oh, and by the way, we still have a couple of vacancies for our flats, should you wish to come to Luxor.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Most of these death sentences get commuted to prison terms once the Grand Mufti or whoever it is that goes down the list and gives the final say. An A bomb is about the only thing that will shift me of my perch here in good old Luxor.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I'm not saying that anyone should run at the drop of a pin in Luxor, but anyone who says they would never leave, but can, is either delusional, lying or a fool. I mean, would you choose to stay in Kobani or Aleppo through it all, for example? There is always a point where leaving is infinitely better and wiser than staying.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

At the end of the day, self preservation is worth more than a principle! A live 'coward' is certainly better than a dead 'hero'!

Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

Dusak wrote:Most of these death sentences get commuted to prison terms once the Grand Mufti or whoever it is that goes down the list and gives the final say. An A bomb is about the only thing that will shift me of my perch here in good old Luxor.
I think the word hubris comes to mind and I'll have to have a word with my friends in the IDF Dusak. :o
Last edited by Stevepj on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I fly in on 23 feb, for 2 weeks. Omar can visit his family and spend time with them while I bug A4 by the pool. I am looking forward to the break but am also glad that for the time being I am staying in the UK while egypt sorts out its troubles :(
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote:Most of these death sentences get commuted to prison terms once the Grand Mufti or whoever it is that goes down the list and gives the final say.

You and I Dusak know this, however, my point is that if the B.B.C. can only give 20 seconds to this dreadful news, then they will give less or more likely no news of these convictions being commuted, even if this is to be so.

How do you think any future NEW tourist to Egypt, or Luxor for that matter, will regard what they heard on yesterday's news, let alone what news on this site is coming out of Luxor.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

So far I have only seen ONE English language news outlet covering these threats being discussed in this thread. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Personally I like it a bit lively keeps you your toes, makes one feel alive. me and The Dark Lord ran the black-ops division of this little motley crew, delivering food, hope, snooker table ? internet radio, a disco, drugs & Bono.
Graeme ex SF all bit fuc***in the head. Tony the Gaffer was an ex accountant…. :cool:
phpBB [video]
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

At the end of the day it is up to the individual what action they will take if the bubble ever bursts. My thoughts on the matter is that the faith I have in the security personnel in protecting this country and those that live in Upper Egypt, [because this is the area I live in] is that it could never get so bad that we, or those that could, would leave. We do not have the indiscriminate use of short range missiles or barrel bombs to wipe us out and reduce Luxor to ruble. We have no terrorists roaming the streets shooting people dead or cutting heads off. I am quite confident that this will not be seen in my lifetime. But, you always live with the chance of some knob'ed buying an Intercontinental ballistic missile at a garage sale and pointing it in our direction.

I also think that the truly determined tourist will ignore the news from the Cairo and Sinai area and still visit. They visited when things where bad during the revolutions 1 and 2 apart when the knees of the powers that be started to wobble so they started to get a few out and close their Embassies, but that was relatively short lived.

And I also think that when you actually live here full time, you live with the day to day feel of the place and at the moment there are no bad vibes present.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Coming on Radio 4 in a moment the thinking behind The Boys in The Hood (da bruvverhood)… :cool:
Laurie Taylor once tried to sort out my mate Andy, Laurie stood 'no-chance….
Sophocles.