The village, me and Zooropa.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: The village, me and Zooropa.

Post by Zooropa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 am

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Everything Glyph has said on this matter is true and it is definitely super serious, revenge will come and everybody in both families know it. That in and of itself makes most family members almost self-policing.
"super serious" - possibly

It may happen and it may not, I'm sure there are times when further hostilities do not occur, lets hope this is one such occasion.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:38 am

Zooropa wrote:
LovelyLadyLux wrote:Everything Glyph has said on this matter is true and it is definitely super serious, revenge will come and everybody in both families know it. That in and of itself makes most family members almost self-policing.

It may happen and it may not, I'm sure there are times when further hostilities do not occur, lets hope this is one such occasion.
Why are you sure? Please explain your certainty, you may be able to help reduce the fear of retribution.
Smile! It confuses people

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 am

Mad Dilys wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Why are you sure? Please explain your certainty, you may be able to help reduce the fear of retribution.
It was a figure of speech, but now that you task me let me say this.

If there was "retribution" every time there was an incident in Egypt then half or more of the population would be at war with each other.

Im not saying that these things don't happen or that it does not happen very often, im just saying I would be surprised if it happens every time.

Im also not trying to say it wasn't a bad event - it sounds like it was, very regrettable.

There was talk on this thread of the wise men - im assuming that on occasion they are able to prevent such things from escalating.

Are you saying that you are sure it does happen every time then?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:30 am

carrie wrote:I meant "love" in the sense that they are not hypocrites like they are in the UK peeping from behind their net curtains pretending not to watch but doing so and gossiping about it later. The problems that occured in my street were very minor, one kid popping another kids ball, someone putting rubbish outside someone's else's home, not likely to lead to all out warfare.
Sadly, I can think of specific cases where incidents very similar to those you describe led to multiple deaths. Yes, they are minor problems, but even seemingly minor problems can easily get out of hand.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:36 am

Zooropa-I am not criticizing Carrie's comments. I can completely understand why she feels as she does and that is OK. I'm not lecturing you about respect either so I have no idea what you are rambling on about. This is a discussion about serious matters, not a debate nor an attack. It's not about you.

But if you have family in Luxor, then matters like these are serious, deadly serious, figuratively and literally. I don't expect you or anyone else who doesn't to understand this. Be glad that you don't.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:16 am

I hardly think this incident of a youth being assaulted/cut all over with a razor, striped and tied to a tree and left there is going to be forgotten. I hardly think the tribal mentality (and I don't mean that at all in a negative way) is going to allow this incident to go unpunished and sooner or later retribution for the victimization of the youth will be achieved.

Historically for the group/clan/tribe/family to survive weakness could not be shown or allowed and if retribution was not sought then this type of thing would be immediately perceived as weakness by all others which means this family would be further victimized. The family just can't have this as their existence, viability, honour, integrity, esteem etc is all wrapped up in how any infringement or impingement against them is handled. This particular matter is just too big to ignore.

Takes a bit to get the way of thinking but it definitely is NOT the way of thinking of the west.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:31 am

First of all Zooropa, a friend of mine [English] has recommended an area to visit on the WB. She tells me that it has all to offer and see in relation to 'the old ways' but with a more touristic approach. Sounds OK to me so we will venture forth when you get here. Don't ask me what the place is called as I've forgotten. :lol:

I agree with GD's point in ref. to perceived anger, and also carries.

My problem is, is that when I hear what I perceive as aggressive tones, it cuts through me like a red hot knife. Always has done since a child, not saying I was brought up in such a household, I wasn't. Just don't take to it. When my friend is on her phone, she finishes the conversation and I immediately ask her what she was arguing about. It is usually just a mundane point/fact containing no aggression at all, just a very verbal exchange. ''All Egyptians talk like this'' she usually replies.

As to whether Zooropa's comment on an 'anger/argument gene' was a tongue in cheek remark I couldn't figure out, but I certainly feel that some folk are born with that streak in them.

As for the problems in the village I asked what was the possibility of a revenge killing. She didn't know, but the brothers friend had already mentioned that the hospital fees and money had been handed over, so lets hope that that will be an end to the matter.

Without doubt a bad attitude to have, but apparently the victim was considered to be a real nuisance around the village, just taking anything that wasn't nailed down, swearing at anyone and everybody, suddenly taking his clothes off in the street, peeing and dumping in public. This is not the boys fault as he suffers from a mental disability, but ''normal'' people have very little patience towards such as he. My friends downs syndrome brother suffers many a time at the hands of the other kids in the village, she grows tied of continually having to intervene and complain to the parents that really do not show any levels of concern towards what she knows is privately referred to as one of ''the devils children.''.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:35 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
But if you have family in Luxor, then matters like these are serious, deadly serious, figuratively and literally. I don't expect you or anyone else who doesn't to understand this. Be glad that you don't.

Unfortunately I can't agree with you more.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 am

Just an update for those that are interested. My friends brother tells her that two of the boys that carried out the attack have been forced to leave the village to live with other family members in another area. Some money has been paid over as compensation. The boy himself is now living in Cairo with an uncle.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 am

Gone but not forgotten.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:39 am

Is Z's visit back on then? Or are tensions still running too high?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Bearded Brian wrote:Is Z's visit back on then? Or are tensions still running too high?
I presume that you mean to this village? No chance, but a friend has recommended a place on the WB, so we will venture forth to there. :bp: :bp: :bp: