The village, me and Zooropa.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The village, me and Zooropa.

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:52 am

Thursday I had a visit from my friend, her brother and his friend that I had not met before. It turned out that the brothers friend was the one he knew from the village that I had intended to take Zooropa for a visit. I too was looking forwards to the visit as I enjoy seeing rural life, especially as it used to be. But alas, this is now not going to happen.

In the village there are five friends, all about the same age, late teens. One of the boys apparently, was tolerated by the other four. He is a bit slow in thinking and actions and would torment the others.

Three months ago this boy overreached the boundaries that the other four could tolerate, so a fist fight resulted. Two of the fathers came out, one being the tormentors father, sorted it out and made them all shake hands. The matter was seemingly forgotten about. But apparently not so by the other four.

Three weeks ago the four others coerced the other boy into the small desert area that backs onto their village with the temptation of using another boys motorbike to go scrambling. They beat him with palm branches, tied him to a tree then cut him all over his body with a blade from a safety razor. Not content with that, they then raped him several times leaving him tied to the tree.

He was found and taken to Luxor hospital. He had suffered quite bad internal injuries as the doctors suspected that something like the handle of a brush had also been inserted inside him. He got released from hospital several days ago.

This has created a lot of hatred and anger in the village so we were advised to stay well away.

I'm just thankful that my friend and her brother dropped on him as they were shopping in the city to tell them what had happened as I do not think that we would have been welcome.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: The village, me and Zooropa.

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 am

This has created a lot of hatred and anger in the village
Gheesh - Only hatred and anger?

Not shock? Disgust? Horror? Outrage?

Very very sad commentary that with premeditation, collusion and intent to harm those 4 youths committed this horrendous act against this one lad with a mental disability AND left him. Words fail. Truly a sad commentary.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:16 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:
This has created a lot of hatred and anger in the village
Gheesh - Only hatred and anger?

Not shock? Disgust? Horror? Outrage?

Very very sad commentary that with premeditation, collusion and intent to harm those 4 youths committed this horrendous act against this one lad with a mental disability AND left him. Words fail. Truly a sad commentary.
From my observations, they view anger as the one and only prerequisite emotion towards all that goes against/for an individual that has been/done wrong. Its the way they are.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah - had to tell when the loud angry screaming starts which emotion is predominant. Still pretty disgusting actions on the part of the 4 towards a less able/capable friend.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm

"Friend" hardly :?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Dusak wrote:
From my observations, they view anger as the one and only prerequisite emotion towards all that goes against/for an individual that has been/done wrong. Its the way they are.
Who is "they"?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:
Who is "they"?
99.9% of the male Egyptian population. The very tone of the simplest conversation tends to give the impression of anger in their voice. Very rarely have I overheard or been part of a softly spoken exchange of words. In this respect [tones of anger], they are a very emotional people, pity they can not tap into the other emotions available to humans with such ease.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:48 am

They may sound angry but most of the time they aren't. It's just something about the Egyptian dialect of Arabic. A Jordanian I met at a conference here once remarked on this to me about the Egyptian dialect as well, although he could fully understand what they were saying and realized they weren't actually angry. And the Upper Egyptian dialect is even more like this than the rest of the country. If you can understand what they are saying you come to realize that it is just a matter of their tone and not content. They could simply be saying something so mundane like they ate molokhiyya for dinner last night and sound like they are furious. But that does not mean they are furious.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 am

I know when Omar is angry because he speaks very quietly and very softly. His normal conversation sounds like he is ranting like man possessed at times. When we are out and about and hear shouting, I often ask are they fighting or is one commenting on the weather. Both sound very alike in Egyptian arabic
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 am

When I first came to visit although I loved it straight way it scared me a little. I remember having a ride in a caleche and one driver called to another, I thought it was going to end up in a fight they sounded so agressive. Another time I was in a taxi and a open van passed us, the driver of the taxi hooted and what I thought screamed at the driver of the van, both vehicles stopped, I thought now we are for it and it turned out my taxi driver saw that the van had a load of water melons on the back and wanted to buy one. Now I just take it in my stride, Egyptians are a noisy lot and the nature of the language makes it sound agressive not one of the romance languages.
One thing I do love though is if there is a genuine dissagreement, everyone has to have a say, no peeping from behind closed curtains at the hassle in the street, everyone is out on the balcony, watching the "show". Including me.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Never mind Dusak, im sure we can sort another activity out.

Less than 4 weeks now!? :mrgreen: :up

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:53 pm

If you fancy seeing Egyptians doing their normal everyday thing go to the market in Gurna on a tuesday morning, lots of folk there, they wont mind in the least seeing tourists and you are sure to get into conversation with some very nice people.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:05 pm

carrie wrote: One thing I do love though is if there is a genuine dissagreement, everyone has to have a say, no peeping from behind closed curtains at the hassle in the street, everyone is out on the balcony, watching the "show". Including me.
Maybe you can "love" it because you are an outsider looking at it like a Hollywood film. Every such disagreement can get out of hand and involve entire extended families and lead to large fines being imposed on the various parties involved or even killings. What's to love about that?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:
carrie wrote: One thing I do love though is if there is a genuine dissagreement, everyone has to have a say, no peeping from behind closed curtains at the hassle in the street, everyone is out on the balcony, watching the "show". Including me.
Maybe you can "love" it because you are an outsider looking at it like a Hollywood film. Every such disagreement can get out of hand and involve entire extended families and lead to large fines being imposed on the various parties involved or even killings. What's to love about that?
I have a friend who is a medical student - they are looking for a subject to right a paper about - he said something about a theory and "an argument gene"

Can I give him your details?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 pm

You do realize that the yet to occur ending of the story Dusak told above is likely to involve killings, don't you? Do you really think these things are laughing matters to joke about, Zooropa? The family of the kid who was tied to the tree will almost certainly take their revenge, if not immediately, it could come at any time in the future, and the victims in that case are not necessarily going to be the perpetrators but could be any one of their relatives.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:19 pm

carrie wrote:If you fancy seeing Egyptians doing their normal everyday thing go to the market in Gurna on a tuesday morning, lots of folk there, they wont mind in the least seeing tourists and you are sure to get into conversation with some very nice people.
Saturday is also good. I've been several times, and my wife goes with a bunch of Egyptians.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:You do realize that the yet to occur ending of the story Dusak told above is likely to involve killings, don't you? Do you really think these things are laughing matters to joke about, Zooropa? The family of the kid who was tied to the tree will almost certainly take their revenge, if not immediately, it could come at any time in the future, and the victims in that case are not necessarily going to be the perpetrators but could be any one of their relatives.
I really can't mark you post "liked" in view of the subject, but I must agree with you.
It's likely to be at least a "tooth for a tooth" and so it will go on unless there is a very talented mediator included in the scenario. We can only pray that will be so.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:43 pm

I meant "love" in the sense that they are not hypocrites like they are in the UK peeping from behind their net curtains pretending not to watch but doing so and gossiping about it later. The problems that occured in my street were very minor, one kid popping another kids ball, someone putting rubbish outside someone's else's home, not likely to lead to all out warfare.
Dusak's friends village is a different kettle of fish entirely, like MD said I hope that they get the wise men involved very quickly, otherwise nothing may happen for years until the time is right and then they will go for the "best" in the family.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:You do realize that the yet to occur ending of the story Dusak told above is likely to involve killings, don't you? Do you really think these things are laughing matters to joke about, Zooropa? The family of the kid who was tied to the tree will almost certainly take their revenge, if not immediately, it could come at any time in the future, and the victims in that case are not necessarily going to be the perpetrators but could be any one of their relatives.
Oh I don't realise or know anything about Egypt, you and Remus have pointed that out to me previously, in any case, im just a kiss me quick merchant so you will have to excuse my ignorance on all matters Egyptian.

You have taken your pomposity to new heights - I wasn't laughing about the incident, I was laughing at you but I was also making a point.

In my opinion, I saw nothing wrong with Carrie's statement and did not link her comments to Dusak's comments, like you have mine.

You go after people for the slightest reason, I find your tone sharp, disrespectful & unnecessary a lot of the time.

As far as you are concerned no one else but you have the facts on Egypt and you never let up telling us so either.

Will all due respects, I wont take a lecture on respect from someone that appears to find it so hard to express it themselves.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Everything Glyph has said on this matter is true and it is definitely super serious, revenge will come and everybody in both families know it. That in and of itself makes most family members almost self-policing.