Where have all the Luxor Expats gone.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Where have all the Luxor Expats gone.

Post by WIZARD »

Where have all the Luxor Expats gone?

How many Luxor expat residents have returned to their country of origin because of the general situation in Luxor?

How many have returned to their country of origin because they have run out of funds, or been asked to leave by the powers that be, or been told to leave, or been refused a Visa for no reason, or been forcibly repatriated.

WIZARD

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Where have all the Luxor Expats gone.

Post by A-Four »

Well, this is a very strange question from some one like you, of all people to be asking Wiz, being that a few of us on here were quite worried about your good self, in the not so distant past.

As for my good self, I do not fit into your criteria, as set out by you above. I left Egypt for a couple of main reasons, being a general deterioration of my health at that time, though I must admit, my main reason was more to do with the deteriorating political situation in Egypt, that the national media were certainly not reporting on, which I am sure you will find on this forum, I made quite clear, and informed those who saw Luxor as a great caccoon, that in real Egypt, things were falling apart, and very quickly.

Only one person at that time who lived on the WB, asked my advice, I informed that person to get out as quick as possible, and to accept the offer that had been made on that persons property. I am pleased to inform, that is exactly what that person did almost imeadiatly.

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD »

A-Four wrote:Well, this is a very strange question from some one like you, of all people to be asking Wiz, being that a few of us on here were quite worried about your good self, in the not so distant past.
Well A-Four nothing has changed for me. I continue to fight on with the powers that be. I don't know how much longer it can go on. It's been two years now with no movement one way or the other. I still have a couple of cards up my sleeve. Failing that, my final move could well be to petition the President himself by letting him know how disgracefully I've been treated after living in Luxor peacefully for what must be coming up to 25 years.
WIZARD

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I also don't fall into your criteria but having followed this Forum for the past several years I can note the absence of quite a few who used to be regular posters.

I did kinda consider a 'summer home' in Luxor at one point and mulled the possibilities of spending MY winters there and summers here but my mind was quickly made up when the Arab Spring arose and all the political upheaval started.

(Quite also remember quite a few of us encouraging an exit plan and departure plan for the Expats only, at the time, to be totally shot down with declarations of everything "going to be fine, just a blip, the tourists are here forever...blah blah blah")

I have a feeling that many who left are too embarrassed to continue posting given their pomposity a few years back.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Quite a few have moved to the Red Sea some have passed away and some have just gone home for health or wealth mainly. If you can survive Luxor for four years you more or less set quite a few don't make it.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I view your post A-four, concerning the advice towards a friend of the clear [as you saw it] and present danger a bit of a damp squid. Here we are still, years past your sell by date. The country is a bit wobbly, as are a few remaining expats due to their age, but a call, I think, to immediately evacuate the country and except what little money was being offered for properties was a bit knee jerk to say the least.

People are bound to see things differently, forming their own opinions, but that is not to say that any of those are valid enough to take such drastic action. I may be wrong, but your tomes of doom concerning our survival seem to be comprised of a sense of self hope, hope that will see things come our way just so you can say at a later date ''If you recollect, I did say this would happen on my post...''

The money generated by past tourist numbers was a very important factor towards the economy of Egypt. With luck it may, in future years, get back to normal. To show the world, at this present time, that the country dose not have any interest in allowing the Europeans that have made Egypt their home for many years to be made no longer welcome would/could have a severe backlash on any future investments from foreign countries. And I'm certain, once the new kid on the block gets his act together, the country will rise off its knees. You may be able to remember this post in the future...
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I find it very strange trying to figure out exactly where Wis is, perhaps it's just me..:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:I find it very strange trying to figure out exactly where Wis is, perhaps it's just me..:cool:
Perhaps he's in Lapland up the road from you.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD »

Who2 wrote:I find it very strange trying to figure out exactly where Wis is, perhaps it's just me..:cool:
What possible good would there be in you knowing where I am Dr Who, unless of coarse you are intent on spilling the beans. Expect a few red herrings to go with your beans over the next couple of weeks.
WIZARD

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote:I view your post A-four, concerning the advice towards a friend of the clear [as you saw it] and present danger a bit of a damp squid. Here we are still, years past your sell by date.
I am sorry Dusak if you view what I have written as what you feel has worked out as a damp squid, but this is my view of the situation, just before the fall of the Mubarack era, further more it is clearly documented on this site my thought on what I expected to be a revolution, and left my home in Egypt for the last time in January, though come the next month, all hell let lose.

For those who had come out to Luxor and either rented or bought their new home, most people were then in their senior years. The past four, soon going on five years of troubles, would have been little comfort, without even mentioning power cuts.

I challenge any property owner or business that had they known that the present status quo was to last so long, they would have been out like a flash to either Hurgarda, or any where else for that matter.

With regards future tourists, few people on here since the days of Charlie and dear Stan (when in his element) have written more to help, and in the past given interesting information to help make their visit for pleasurable than I ,however I have no intention of writing on such subjects, when Little Britain seems to be surrounded by sand bags to protect troops with gun, while they expect tourist to think this is quite natural, and to be regarded as a walk in the park.
Last edited by A-Four on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Well Little Britain is not "surrounded by sandbags to protect troops with gun" as you well know and if irresponsible comments like that are your "have written more to help" then we can get along without that help.

As for the "Status Quo" it may be time to expand out of town but certainly not get out!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Bombay wrote:Well Little Britain is not "surrounded by sandbags to protect troops with gun" as you well know and if irresponsible comments like that are your "have written more to help" then we can get along without that help.
The road that links the two main streets of Little Britain, where you find the police H.Q. is lined at various points throughout, with sand bags, behind which are troops with fully automatic rifles, and what tourist there are in that area, certainly are not encouraged to walk behind the troops or sand bags, for that matter, for their 'protection'.

You might be able to get away without 'such help' in the future,.............but remember all writers MUST be honest.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

It has been said that there were almost 1000 ex European pats living in and around Luxor 4-5 years ago, apparently that number is now around 200, where they have gone well thats anyones guess, I know a few that have gone to the Red Sea, I know some that have fled justice,I know some that have just gone home, realising the grass is not greener whatsoever I know some that would leave as soon as they can or whenever they get their property sold. But no matter what many have disappeared. Their reasons we will never know, only speculate, and mull over.....

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The problem A-four is that the part time visitor can only see what there is to see at that point in time. A few extra sand bags between visits dose no indicate an increase in expected troubles. What you hear on the streets or are told directly by any Egyptian friends is usually from their perspective or what they expect to happen. Actions have always, and will always, speak louder than words. Anyone with just a basic intelligence can predict that some time in the future that X Y or Z is likely or could happen. It dose not make them a reliable fortune teller.

If we were to witness the likes of what Wales suffered in past years by the Meibion Glyndwr group, second homes being burned down, cars of second home owners being torched, assaults and burglaries carried out, then I would have to agree with you, the big S has hit the fan. But we have witnessed none of this, just general day to day local problems that would happen in any case.

I may be wrong in my assessment towards your wording and thoughts, but it has been obvious over the last three/four years that some contributors, if you read between the lines, would like nothing better to see the second fall of Rome hit the likes of us here in Egypt.

If I was just contemplating moving out here, I would not buy, but at the same time I would not stop visiting. And the reason that I would not buy is that with today's most ridicules prices, I couldn't afford to.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

A-Four wrote:
Bombay wrote:Well Little Britain is not "surrounded by sandbags to protect troops with gun" as you well know and if irresponsible comments like that are your "have written more to help" then we can get along without that help.
The road that links the two main streets of Little Britain, where you find the police H.Q. is lined at various points throughout, with sand bags, behind which are troops with fully automatic rifles, and what tourist there are in that area, certainly are not encouraged to walk behind the troops or sand bags, for that matter, for their 'protection'.

You might be able to get away without 'such help' in the future,.............but remember all writers MUST be honest.
This is not the main road that links these 2 streets as you well know and is not what you have written "when Little Britain seems to be surrounded by sand bags to protect troops with gun,"

A section of a back street closed to motorized traffic is not the area surrounded.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

It maybe that some have just got sick of the place and have been looking around for other places to live that offers more to them now. Personally myself, because I am retired and not bothered about having to earn an income or run a business what the European Ex Pats do is of no concern to me, but those that have invested in business ventures and properties I would think are not excited about the future. Its these people that are getting a rough ride at this moment of time.

Those who moved to the Red Sea resorts must have had a terrific foresight and got moved out of Luxor so they could protect their hard earned income, so you have to admire their foresight on what they thought was going to happen.

I am sure we could go on forever discussing the future of Luxor, but it will not do any good whatsoever.

Everybody that lives here be it the ex pat who lives here permanently, or a 6 month tourist has their own agenda on why they either live here or visit here. Some of these agendas are known, so why really they have disappeared or whatever only they will know.
I do not expect the ex pat population to increase at all over the coming years, due to many things, the main one being is they have no legal protection and many have lost a lot of money, don't quote me on this, quote the internet, its all over it. The other reasons are the hassle and sometimes the insults we get if we refuse to do any business with them, or accuse them of dual pricing or overcharging. People that have had problems have gone home started their own blogs sites and actually name and shame the people with photo's and documents. Everyone knows of a place they call the "White House" on the West Bank, everyone knows who is involved with it, everyone knows there is more than one owner with documents for this place. So what happened the European owner went back started a blog site which is well subscribed to to warn the people about the place. when you see and hear stories like this no one will want to live here or in fact holiday here. Again a European who has had no help from the legal system.

I honestly think many Europeans have got sick of being cheated and unable to get the legal system working properly to protect them, they have gone home and just laid everything on the internet...

Of course the other thing is, on average a European moves once every 7 years according to statistics, maybe they have lived here that long and looked for new grazing pastures. All we can do is speculate like the Media does, but the truth we will never know.

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:.....all we can do is speculate like the Media does, but the truth we will never know.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
WIZARD

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Most things we hear in Luxor are gossip usually without any relation to the facts.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

WIZARD wrote:
Who2 wrote:I find it very strange trying to figure out exactly where Wiz is, perhaps it's just me..:cool:
What possible good would there be in you knowing where I am Dr Who, unless of coarse you are intent on spilling the beans. Expect a few red herrings to go with your beans over the next couple of weeks.
Well to be honest you either cannot leave this country or cannot gain access to this Country.
Your flag say's one thing whilst your posts are totally contradictory, ie: walking down TV street or trying to sail to Cairo. Either way there has to be a reason, we never found out what your problems were but expected our sympathy...:cool:
Ps: and still are!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD »

Who2 wrote:
WIZARD wrote:
Who2 wrote:I find it very strange trying to figure out exactly where Wiz is, perhaps it's just me..:cool:
Well to be honest you either cannot leave this country or cannot gain access to this Country.
Your flag say's one thing whilst your posts are totally contradictory, ie: walking down TV street or trying to sail to Cairo. Either way there has to be a reason, we never found out what your problems were but expected our sympathy...:cool:
Again, pure speculation. I have never expected sympathy from anyone, least of all you. It has always been freely given by kind, genuine members who have my welfare at heart.
WIZARD