Wardens update-passports and anniversaries.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Wardens update-passports and anniversaries.

Post by Dusak »

I hope you are well and not suffering from the heat too much. It was great to catch up with a number of you recently both here in Cairo at various parties for the Queen and when I was on my travels in Hurghada and Luxor.

I wanted to draw your attention to two matters.

Passports

As I am sure you will have noticed from the media the UK passport system is facing a number of issues at the moment. Her Majesty’s Passport Office is dealing with the highest demand for passports in 12 years and has issued over three million passports so far in 2014. This has resulted in some customers facing delays.

On 12 June the Home Secretary announced that, Embassies and High Commissions will now offer additional services to help British Nationals living and working overseas who might be affected by delays

For someone living overseas and needing to renew an existing British passport, they can instead apply at an Embassy for it to be extended for 12 months. You will need to be in possession of a passport that expired less than 6 months ago or will expire within the next 7 months, and have at least 3 blank pages left in your passport. This service is free. This service will be available from 23 June.

If someone has already made an application to have a passport renewed they cannot get an extension to their current passport. If someone needs to travel urgently, they may be able to apply for an emergency travel document while their passport is still being processed.

It will be possible in some circumstances to apply for an emergency travel document for a child instead of a new or renewed passport.

There is further information on the gov.uk website or by calling 02 2791 6000

Anniversaries

As hard as it is to believe we are about to reach the first anniversary of last summer’s upheaval. We will update the travel advice with more information soon, but in the meantime please be aware of the risk of increased tensions on and around 30 June, 3 July and 14 August. We don’t yet have confirmed information on planned demonstrations, but it is likely attempts will be made to mark these anniversaries. As ever please stay well away from all demonstrations and do not take photographs in the vicinity.

Regards,

John Hamilton

Her Majesty's Consul | British Embassy | 7 Ahmed Ragheb Street | Cairo | Tel +20 2 27916000 | FTN: 8407 6005 | email: John.Hamilton@fco.gov.uk

For more information on consular services see our website: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/egypt

***********************************************************************************
Visit http://www.gov.uk/fco for British foreign policy news and travel advice and http://blogs.fco.gov.uk to read our blogs.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Wardens update-passports and anniversaries.

Post by Bombay »

Dusak wrote:I hope you are well and not suffering from the heat too much. It was great to catch up with a number of you recently both here in Cairo at various parties for the Queen and when I was on my travels in Hurghada and Luxor.

I wanted to draw your attention to two matters.

Passports

As I am sure you will have noticed from the media the UK passport system is facing a number of issues at the moment. Her Majesty’s Passport Office is dealing with the highest demand for passports in 12 years and has issued over three million passports so far in 2014. This has resulted in some customers facing delays.

On 12 June the Home Secretary announced that, Embassies and High Commissions will now offer additional services to help British Nationals living and working overseas who might be affected by delays

For someone living overseas and needing to renew an existing British passport, they can instead apply at an Embassy for it to be extended for 12 months. You will need to be in possession of a passport that expired less than 6 months ago or will expire within the next 7 months, and have at least 3 blank pages left in your passport. This service is free. This service will be available from 23 June.

If someone has already made an application to have a passport renewed they cannot get an extension to their current passport. If someone needs to travel urgently, they may be able to apply for an emergency travel document while their passport is still being processed.

It will be possible in some circumstances to apply for an emergency travel document for a child instead of a new or renewed passport.

There is further information on the gov.uk website or by calling 02 2791 6000

Anniversaries

As hard as it is to believe we are about to reach the first anniversary of last summer’s upheaval. We will update the travel advice with more information soon, but in the meantime please be aware of the risk of increased tensions on and around 30 June, 3 July and 14 August. We don’t yet have confirmed information on planned demonstrations, but it is likely attempts will be made to mark these anniversaries. As ever please stay well away from all demonstrations and do not take photographs in the vicinity.

Regards,

John Hamilton

Her Majesty's Consul | British Embassy | 7 Ahmed Ragheb Street | Cairo | Tel +20 2 27916000 | FTN: 8407 6005 | email: John.Hamilton@fco.gov.uk

For more information on consular services see our website: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/egypt

***********************************************************************************
Visit http://www.gov.uk/fco for British foreign policy news and travel advice and http://blogs.fco.gov.uk to read our blogs.
Sounds like good advice.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

if there are any demonstrations I am sure they will be dealt with quickly, especially if they are political, due to the fact political demonstration are banned in Egypt.

Its like everything else if you live in a Country that you were not born in you have to uphold their laws, no matter what. That applies to all countries and not just Egypt. Follow this code and you should have no reason for fear.

Besides that why should retired people and business people want to get involved with politics, demonstrations etc? There is no need for it, and it is only looked upon as being attention seeking.

Just get on with your life and leave the rest to those in the know.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just my luck booked to travel to Hurgada on the 30th. Did it before the warning and forgot the date. Since the demo's tend to kick off after midday prayers might just be OK.
The other night walking down TV Street large crowd with banners celebrating the opening of a new shop but a casual visitor might easily have seen it as a demo.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Just my luck booked to travel to Hurgada on the 30th. Did it before the warning and forgot the date. Since the demo's tend to kick off after midday prayers might just be OK.
The other night walking down TV Street large crowd with banners celebrating the opening of a new shop but a casual visitor might easily have seen it as a demo.
And just for those that really want to know what shop, it was a high end gents clothing shop. [No good to me then] :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:if there are any demonstrations I am sure they will be dealt with quickly, especially if they are political, due to the fact political demonstration are banned in Egypt.

Its like everything else if you live in a Country that you were not born in you have to uphold their laws, no matter what. That applies to all countries and not just Egypt. Follow this code and you should have no reason for fear.

Besides that why should retired people and business people want to get involved with politics, demonstrations etc? There is no need for it, and it is only looked upon as being attention seeking.

Just get on with your life and leave the rest to those in the know.
No they are not you just have to notify the authorities, same as in the UK.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I found myself in the middle of a demo today, passing the Gov's office there was one solitary lady marching up and down outside with her placard stating that she was being persecuted by the Gov and his officials because she was a Christian and a woman.
Have to admire her but no one was taking much notice.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:I found myself in the middle of a demo today, passing the Gov's office there was one solitary lady marching up and down outside with her placard stating that she was being persecuted by the Gov and his officials because she was a Christian and a woman.
Have to admire her but no one was taking much notice.
She is there at least twice a week, poor soul.