Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club.

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Robbo70 wrote:All the above is too much for this dyslexic to read and not enough paragraphs. Just so you know tho CE, the culture club has a generator and when the electric goes out, its out for about 3 minutes while they fire up the backup and then everything continues as normal. No idea if that's relevant or not, or whether the post has gone off on a tangent since you posted about the power cuts.
Not so much a case of the post going off on a tangent as the case that Chocolate Éclair has 'gone off on one'! :|

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Together with the Luxor Motor Cycle club and the comity

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Dusak wrote:
You may be familiar with the now defunct Luxor Times magazine. This was my idea from the beginning having known about and discussed the lack of an English language tourist themed monthly publication with the owner of the on-line version we have today.

So I came to the expensive conclusion that it just not worth the time and energy in attempting to improve things here, leave it all to the natural progression or destruction of time.

I do know that Stan wrote articles for this said organ, being that a couple of times he passed by me a few ideas to see what I thought. However, what I do find rather strange is that up until ten days before he died, he had no idea as to who you are.

With regards to credit in Luxor, I can clearly tell you, that as I have often written on here in the past, Luxor locals will avoid paying cash for anything if possible, and I include the very rich in that town. It is their hope that the item they buy on credit will be either worn out or broken, either case that is when they stop paying. That is the main reason why no department store has ever and will never open in that town.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 am

A-Four wrote:
Dusak wrote:
You may be familiar with the now defunct Luxor Times magazine. This was my idea from the beginning having known about and discussed the lack of an English language tourist themed monthly publication with the owner of the on-line version we have today.

So I came to the expensive conclusion that it just not worth the time and energy in attempting to improve things here, leave it all to the natural progression or destruction of time.

I do know that Stan wrote articles for this said organ, being that a couple of times he passed by me a few ideas to see what I thought. However, what I do find rather strange is that up until ten days before he died, he had no idea as to who you are.

With regards to credit in Luxor, I can clearly tell you, that as I have often written on here in the past, Luxor locals will avoid paying cash for anything if possible, and I include the very rich in that town. It is their hope that the item they buy on credit will be either worn out or broken, either case that is when they stop paying. That is the main reason why no department store has ever and will never open in that town.
As I stated in a previous post [God, I sound like you] A-four, many the time I pulled Stan the mans leg about who Dusak was while standing next to him. I had nothing to do with the copy submitted by Stan. It was proof read when submitted and went into the next copy which was under the control of the Egyptian in charge of that side of things. Nice attempt at a snide swipe though. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Dusak wrote: Nice attempt at a snide swipe though. :up
I can not for one moment understand why from one simple statement as I have written above, that you should see this as 'a snide swipe', though, if I was a barrister, I certainly would be rather concerned by such a comment, as part of your response. :wi .

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:04 am

A-Four wrote:
Dusak wrote: Nice attempt at a snide swipe though. :up
I can not for one moment understand why from one simple statement as I have written above, that you should see this as 'a snide swipe', though, if I was a barrister, I certainly would be rather concerned by such a comment, as part of your response. :wi .
Perhaps its just me, reading into something that dose not exist.

You used the term ''strange'' that Stan did not know who I really was, suggesting, to my eyes, that this could of been deliberate on my part for some hidden reason. I only ''know'' about eight members on here personally or what they look like in real life. How many members true face on the street identities do you know? Why should it be strange towards me and Stan, but not you? If I were to be found dead tomorrow face down in the pool I would think that many would say they had never met me. You and barristers have a great deal in common, both of you 'suggest' things instead of just getting to the point in question. I just say it as it is.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm

A-Four wrote: With regards to credit in Luxor, I can clearly tell you, that as I have often written on here in the past, Luxor locals will avoid paying cash for anything if possible, and I include the very rich in that town. It is their hope that the item they buy on credit will be either worn out or broken, either case that is when they stop paying. That is the main reason why no department store has ever and will never open in that town.
[/quote]

B-Tech is a store that items can be bought on credit by the Egyptians.....you profess to know a lot about Luxor.and sometimes I wonder about your mis-information.

anyway back to the main topic....

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Dusak wrote: Perhaps its just me, reading into something that dose not exist.

Does not exist,,,does not exist...does ...does..

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:38 pm

lotusflower wrote:
A-Four wrote: With regards to credit in Luxor, I can clearly tell you, that as I have often written on here in the past, Luxor locals will avoid paying cash for anything if possible, and I include the very rich in that town. It is their hope that the item they buy on credit will be either worn out or broken, either case that is when they stop paying. That is the main reason why no department store has ever and will never open in that town.
B-Tech is a store that items can be bought on credit by the Egyptians.....you profess to know a lot about Luxor.and sometimes I wonder about your mis-information.

anyway back to the main topic....[/quote]

Yes, I do know enough to say that Luxor is the ONLY major city in the Nile Valley not to have a departmental store, may I suggest YOU ask them why they do not bother to open one there.

It's a bit like why Harrods will not open a store in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, but then again, you might not know that either.

Any how, back to the main subject,..............

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Loaning/borrowing with interest money applied aka CREDIT is not the same under Islam as we use it.

It is my understanding that loans in Islam must be interest free and that to charge interest is Haram so if an Egyptian buys something on credit they only expect to pay back the amount of which was technically borrowed. This wouldn't benefit the commercial lenders as am pretty certain they'd expect to get a % return on their money (which could have been in the form of a material loan of goods)

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Bank deposit and lending rates of interest are governed by the Central Bank of Egypt

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:15 am

lotusflower wrote:Bank deposit and lending rates of interest are governed by the Central Bank of Egypt

....and do you, in your wildest dreams, think for one moment, that an old lady on the WB, whether rich or poor, will have any regard, respect or concern as to the morning or afternoon fix of the Cairo money market, when she is buying a couple of carpets from a door to door salesman,......... on tick. Believe me the interest rate is already built in to the price, of said item.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:40 am

But if said old lady on the WB does buy a carpet and if it cost 100LE she would ONLY ever expect to pay back 100LE no matter how long it takes her to repay the commodity/loan/credit (whatever you want to call it). She isn't going to ever pay more cause it takes her maybe twice as long as the other little old lady on the WB. That is my point and if a store decides she has to repay the 100LE and flops on service charges, late charges, interest etc etc that isn't going to fly or it will fly but like the proverbial frozen turkey.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:50 am

lotusflower wrote:
Dusak wrote: Perhaps its just me, reading into something that dose not exist.

Does not exist,,,does not exist...does ...does..
This is an every day typo for me Brian, sorry, lotusflower, problem is, is that I never received a full dose of edukatun. :P

Its quite common for the supermarkets in Karnak to give credit for goods. Never heard of a problem in receiving payments when due. My friend tells me that the vast majority of shops that sell goods of all prices and descriptions give weekly/monthly credit terms, not just B-Tec.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 am

Here if somebody gets credit it typically comes with a monthly interest fee.

Do the shops there charge interest over and above the agreed upon sale price of an item? Or are we all simply mixing up words and terms?

My friends in Alexandria have been very specific in the discussions we've had on this very topic with their position being it is haram for Muslims to charge interest hence there is no credit. I've queried how they've been able to buy items i.e. TV, car and they've waited until they've saved up the funds and then buy whatever outright because of the restrictions via Islam of Muslims getting and using credit. Don't know this from personal experience but am basing what I'm saying on what my friends there have told me. Am I incorrect? :ni: :ni:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:20 am

Seems appropriate to post this here. I've just seen this article recently posted by Luxor News Live. It's not clear how the accident happened, and although it gives the ages of those involved it does not state who were the drivers. However, it does show the problems of what would appear to be a fairly typical motorcycle accident and injuries, given the lack of protective clothing.

Luxor News Live

إصابة 3 أشخاص جراء حادث دراجة بخارية بغرب الاقصر
مباشر من الأقصر
امانى خيرى:
أصيب ثلاث أشخاص ،امس الثلاثاء ،جراء حادث دراجة بخارية أعلي كوبري الفرشوطي بحاجر الضبعية غرب الاقصر، وتم نقل المصابين علي الفور إلي مستشفي الاقصر الدولي.
تلقي مدير أمن الاقصر اللواء منتصر أبو زيد إخطار يفيد بإصابة شخص ويدعي "محمد مصطفي كامل " يبلغ 16 سنة، بكسور في الوجه والفكين ونزيف بالمخ وكسر بذراعة وتم تحويلة فور وصولة إلي العناية المركزة.
كما أصيب كلا من " محمود مصطفي كامل" يبلغ 10سنوات ، و "محمود عبد الرحيم فهمي" يبلغ 21 سنة ، بخدوش بسيطة وتم خروجهم من المستشفي بعد دخولهم بلحظات، وذلك في حادث موتوسيكل علي طريق كوبري الفرشوطي بحاجر قرية الضبعية غرب الاقص

Three people injured by a motorcycle accident in Western Luxor, directly from Luxor Amani charity: three people were injured Tuesday, an accident motorcycle top bridge El-farshuti bhagr Al dhabeia Island West of Luxor, and the injured were immediately sent to the Luxor international hospital.

Receive Luxor Security Director major general muntaser Abu Zeid notification that a person named "Conner" is 16 years, Maxillofacial fractures and bleeding in the brain and a broken arm and was transferred to intensive care.

And both "Mahmoud Mustafa Kamel" 10 and "Mahmoud Abdel Rahim Fahmy" 21 years, simple scratches and has been discharged from hospital following admission by moments, in an accident on the bridge El-farshuti Baja bhagr village of Abu Dhabi Western Luxor (Translated by Bing)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Here if somebody gets credit it typically comes with a monthly interest fee.

Do the shops there charge interest over and above the agreed upon sale price of an item? Or are we all simply mixing up words and terms?

My friends in Alexandria have been very specific in the discussions we've had on this very topic with their position being it is haram for Muslims to charge interest hence there is no credit. I've queried how they've been able to buy items i.e. TV, car and they've waited until they've saved up the funds and then buy whatever outright because of the restrictions via Islam of Muslims getting and using credit. Don't know this from personal experience but am basing what I'm saying on what my friends there have told me. Am I incorrect? :ni: :ni:
No interest rates are charged for food stuffs when settling the bill at the end of the month, but any purchase concerning large and expensive items, say for an A/C unit carry interest rates. My friend for instance was charged an extra 1,000Le for a 4,500Le A/c unit over eighteen months. As for it being considered Haram, is a rubbish concept, its a business transaction and they are in business to make money. Haram is a term used only when it suits them.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I was always under the impression that interest could not be charged on cash eg on borrowing money from a bank to buy a house or a car but could be charged on an instalment package eg like the old hire purchase agreements - you buy an A/C unit from B-Tech and agree to pay for it over x months it is not haram for B-Tech to charge interest for allowing you to spread the cost.

How does a bank make money? If you want to buy a house the seller sells the house to the bank for £100,000 the bank then sells it to you for £125,000 you then repay the £125,000 over so many years - this is not haram as the bank hasn't lent you money.

There are other ifs, buts etc but the above is a simplistic explanation based on my understanding.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:06 pm

@ Bearded Brian - my friends never elaborated your explanation however they were adamant about the charging of interest being forbidden, not done, haram etc. They also couched this as to why it takes so long to buy stuff stating the entire amount has to be saved up prior to purchase (and I know it took them close to 2 years to save up sufficient to buy a new Nikon camera).

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:12 pm

My explanation comes via discussions with Pakistani and Kenyan muslims so it might, as always, depend on which sect they belong to.