Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club.

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:55 pm

I have not been around for a week or so working on a project close to my heart, but now I have got things up and running thanks to a good friend of mine who lives close by.

Together we are forming the Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club, aimed primarily at young people but open for all to join, it is our intention that when we get our first 20 members we shall have our first meeting. We are at the moment looking for a venue to hold future meetings that has access to a large screen television with HDMI facility to plug in a laptop, for film and instruction purposes. Can any Forum member help?

We are also looking for a Company in Luxor who will sponsor us for 20 Hi-vis vests with the Club name on the back, and the Companies logo and name on the front pocket area.

We believe this club will be a big asset to Luxor and if by advising or talking about motorcycling safety we save 1 life a year the club will be a success, of course the aim is to save more than one, but we have to start off small.

If any Forum members know of local people that would be interested in joining we can be contacted via the Luxor Pharaohs Motor Cycle Club page on Facebook or at Luxor Pharoahs Motorcycle club @Weebly.com In fact if any Forum members would like to join you are most welcome. Joining is completely free, the only stipulation is that on the first meeting of the club, you will need to produce a valid registration document for your vehicle. (No document, No join) you would be considered not to be a serious motorcyclist by the club without this document.

We later intend to have entertainment nights for all members including DVD/Tapes of World Superbike Championships, safety quizzes etc

I would appreciate any help in getting membership to this club from forum members.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Luxor Pharaohs Motorcycle Club.

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Congratulations! I always thought this was a great idea and I am glad to see you have managed to get it up and running.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Well done CE!

You appear to have put a lot of time,effort and thought into this new venture.
I wish you all the best with it and hope it's the success it deserves to be.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks you both very much, its important to me to try and install in our young people that a motorbike can be as dangerous has any gun, my hopes now is to really get it off the ground and start to get it over to our young that motorcycling can be fun, but can be dangerous when you take risks. the hardest thing is going to try and recondition their minds not to be impatient.

But like I say even if the clubs teachings can save one life a year it has been a success. Who knows that saved life might be one of my villagers.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Mabruk CE hope it is very popular just one thought though could you not let the younger ones join even though they have not yet got a motor cycle start them on the right track.
Once again congratulations, at least it will keep you out of mischeif. :D

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Ye Gods and little fish's tempus fugit, October already. Have to get the Xmas deck's out. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm

phpBB [video]
...'wild!.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:21 pm

After seeing, some years ago, a lad of about 12 part company with his 250cc Honda on the pavement in Luxor (only just missing me and other pedestrians as well), I can only applaud your aims and efforts. He was wearing only a galabeya incidentally, but both he and bike appeared to be fine. Others might not be so lucky, so any attempt to teach safe riding (you don't of course need to look very far in Luxor or Egypt in general, to find examples of the opposite), should be wholeheartedly encouraged.

:up :up :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Congrats CE!!! All the BEST to you and your new Club! :mb:

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:31 am

You are of course quite correct Carrie, we eventually want to create a "Juniors" club for the youngsters that are not eligible at the moment to ride, and what you say has been taken into consideration. at the moment we are focusing in getting the club going in a proper and in the most professional way possible.

I thought it would maybe have taken me 4-5 months, but with help from my friend, who is a local, within 2 weeks we have got people with some authority interested, we are now talking about aid with advertising, we have got people interested in seminars on mechanics, the law etc etc. We are at the moment trying to get a sponsor for Hi Vis vests to be worn for riding at nigh time this at the moment is proving hard, maybe due to the financial situation around, but I have been talking to a person in Luxor who will help me with this.

We have just got a web site started, albeit a free one, and eventually after much arguing I succumbed to agreeing to having a Facebook Site for the Club, (Spit) But even I have had to swallow my pride, for the sake of our young peoples safety. We have already started issuing questions on the Facebook Site and issuing graphic but conservative photo's of what happens when you take risks. I cannot tell you the site names due to Forum Rules, but you are all welcome to look the sites up, and maybe even reply to the questions asked. We eventually will issue Club members names and photo's of events and use the sites to promote dates of events.

At the moment and by using the most up to date British Highway Code, I have started making computer slideshows, and questionnaires, we decided that every member will be equal so when we have our seminars and questionnaires the sheets will come back for marking nameless, this will provide us with the information and areas that will be required to be worked on. Everyone will be equal no matter what age.

We are like I say looking for July to be our first meeting, and at the moment I am concentrating on methods of advertising and a permanent venue on both West and East Bank with big screen facilities that include HDMI facilities for laptop use. If any members can help with this I would appreciate it very much, can you PM me please.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:02 am

You might remember last year, you and I discussed the time when I got my one, only motor bike when I was about 18 years old, from a place in the U.K. that both of us know well (D.C.Cookes, Swinton). Once you had bought the thing, they did not care at all whether you could ride it or not. I have often wondered how many young people that company alone, had sentenced so many to an early death.

I will never forget going with a friend to the local garage during Ramadan, some years ago, I went around the back of the place to have a smoke, to discover three of the young staff there also smoking, we laughed and had a chat. Two days later, all three were killed on one bike while going home.

There is perhaps only one problem I can see. You obviously know the good and bad repair centres on the WB. I think it may be wise NOT to involve yourself in recommending the ones you would choose, no matter how good your intentions are. You can so easily make enemies on the WB, without even realising it.

When you get someone like Glyphdoctor giving you the nod here, you know you're doing the right thing, I too offer my best wishes.

A-Four.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 am

Although the concept of producing an army of good safe riders is a good one having been hit twice myself in the past, I think that you could, in the future, be bringing more trouble to yourself than need be.

If there is one thing that has never changed in this country since I first arrived is that any help given by foreigners towards the local population is usually misinterpreted as interfering, unless of course some would benefit financially from the good deeds.

On the roads here you have an unwritten law that states to the individual that they ride their two wheeled death machine how they see fit. You change the driving technique of one to that of a safer, more considerate mode, but the three thousand passing him by stick to their way. If, say, you are successful in re-training a dozen or so in the next few months and this now road sensible motorbike owner is controlling his machine in the correct manner but another non trained one hits him, bounces off and flattens a pedestrian, the good one will automatically blame the bad motorcyclist because ''the English man trained me to ride this way''.

Do you really think that your hard work and determination would ever get acknowledged by the countless traffic police stood idly by the roadside? Would you ever expect one to put thumbs up as one of your retrained passes by while he mutters to himself ''that's one of CE's lads.'' No, they wouldn't. It is their job to make the roads safer to use by removing these idiots off the roads and confiscating their machines accompanied with hefty fines. It is this countries duty to open professional training centers to test and qualify any bike owner before they enter the streams of traffic. A large green disk would then have to be displayed to the machines front with photo ID to make it easier to distinguish the untrained illegal road users from the legit ones. Nor would any of the retrained ones tell any of their family that he could no longer transport the family members to Luxor to visit the shops cos ''the Englishman told me not to as it is very dangerous to do so, so you'll all have to walk or get the bus.''

This society is one of constant finger pointing blame, it is never them, but the other person. I foresee a knocking at your villa doors one day with an irate, now bent bike owner demanding that you pay for his damage cos you told the other one how to ride his and to totally ignore the tried and tested local way. After all, you are a very wealthy English man to their eyes and you wouldn't want any problems with your visa, would you? So pay up.

It would be a nice concept if you where able to change how a million riders travel about on these roads, making it safer, but most would just want the new day glow jacket to give to their brother who works in the fields in winter. Some would just like to be seen riding with an Englishman around the country lanes and city streets, some would hope that you would be willing to just put a bit of petrol in their tanks cos they had left their empty wallet at home. Some would just not bother as it would be more trouble than its worth.

Luckily for all concerned that the young Dutch kid didn't get too bored sticking his finger in the leaking dike before help arrived as otherwise a lot more would have become victims, but fortunately for them, that act of god was a one off and he genuinely cared for his fellow neighbour's safety.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:48 am

CE-My advice is to ignore that last post completely.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm

You may very well be right Dusak but give the guy a chance he is at least trying. Good luck CE

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:54 pm

It's going to be hard work I know, but a start has to be made to protect our young people. Thanks for your support A4 we discussed many pit falls, one of which I have PM'd Glyph. to ask because I think she will be the perfect person to give me the correct answer.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:55 pm

I can understand Dusak's comments but it's often too easy to think along those lines and then nothing ever gets done. We can all talk our way out of doing something! Some times we have to just run with the idea and see how it turn out.

I'm reminded of the starfish story...

The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley (Other versions on the same theme also available)

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?"

The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die."

"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can't make a difference!"

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said
"I made a difference for that one."
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:CE-My advice is to ignore that last post completely.
And who are you, GOD. It is up to the individual concerned to ignore another's comment or genuine advice as they see things, not an individual that assumes there is only one point to ponder, theirs.
carrie wrote:You may very well be right Dusak but give the guy a chance he is at least trying. Good luck CE
Its not about p****** on CE's parade, but remembering what has happened to others that have attempted to change things that as a visitor, really should not concern them. As my taxi driver said when being told about this upcoming club, ''this is not his business, do you think they will remember when they leave him.'' But he will do what he feels needs to be done, no concern of mine.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I am really not trying to change anything at all, its up to the individual what they do, they will either attend Club meeting or not. What I am doing is offering the people a service, choice, advice or what ever people may want to call it.

No one can make people do anything and I appreciate this, but if there is nothing like this, then they have no one to turn to even if they wanted to or not. And that is my mindset, Offering a free service for those that would want to take it up. I do not suspect all of Luxors motorcyclists to attend by no means, but those that do will benefit, and like I have said before, if it saves one life in the first 12 months it has been a success.

I am a hard worker on things I believe in, I know there will be many pitfalls ahead, I am prepared for most, others I need to ask about. I know there will be headaches along the way too, but there is always Paracetamol for that.

For someone who thinks they will change things and go ahead forcing their belief's they will fail. I know this! That is why this will be a free service, advice and information club, for those that want to use it. I hope Forum members understand this.

And No "D" you are not P------ on my parade, because there is no parade to "P" on, its and idea that is close to my heart, and an idea aimed at saving our young people. For that reason it is completely free of any charges.

I was hoping that DJ would give me a bit of free advertising, no pressure DJ, but every little bit helps. :wi :wi

I remember that tune from somewhere Dr. A gentleman in a Black Jeep overtook me on the Ramla Cornish about a month or go, hanging out of his window and singing it in my earhole. :lol:

Azurite

Post by Azurite » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:13 pm

How Absolutely Brill CE !!!

Well Done You. :br: :wi :wi :wi

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:03 am

Just a quick question on the list of questions and answer sheets to be discussed at a further meeting of the Club.

When riding your motorcycle accidents can be caused by road surface conditions, do you think road conditions are 100% to blame for accidents in this case, or do you think that the rider should change their riding style to the condition of the road surface?

For some of us an easy question to answer, but after seeing some riders they may have difficulty answering this, but hopefully it will start an in depth discussion, and resolve in an appropriate agreement.