Lecture about Luxor Dig houses

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Lecture about Luxor Dig houses

Post by BENNU »

nilevalley wrote:Possibly because they are Dutch.
I fail to see the relevance, Bennu.
I am sorry to post something so irrelevant, but a forum member wondered why a British hotel manager had not been asked.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

So all in all "when's the lecture ? anytime soon ? 'we have a projector and a bottle opener...We could always do it in the marsam hotel they sell booze, finally after god knows how long them being abstainers...'god really does move in mysterious ways..chop chop... :cool:
Ps: "Tout à l'heure Marcel"
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

nilevalley wrote: “This keeps cropping up on my facebook”.
I guess someone invited you to join?

“I” is Marcel Maessen ...
No, no one asked me to join. I just happened to see the same post on my FB ticker thing a few times. I know that there are members of Luxor4U who choose not to use FB but who often miss out on useful and/or interesting information. I thought this lecture was something that some would appreciate knowing about and being given the chance to attend.
I commented on the 'I' because I had read through the information but didn't notice any actual name.

The confusion over the British/Dutch element of the thread is probably down to the fact that I was advised to ask someone who does not exist (as far as I'm aware) for more information. Had I been advised to speak to Hatusu, I would have known who was being referred to, would have known that she was British and also where to contact her. I would also have known that she probably wasn't the best person to contact as the event was being held in Nile Valley Hotel (and I knew the Dutch connection there too!).

I am still surprised that no other member, including Nile Valley, thought to post about this lecture here on Luxor4U.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Berniemyk

Post by Berniemyk »

Dear Friends, The lecture on the "Stoppelaere Dig House" on the hill just behind the Carter's House will be held at the Nile Valley Hotel on the 8th March at 7-pm. The lecture will be given by Marcel Maessan. I think it will be a worthy lecture.

nilevalley

Post by nilevalley »

Hi Hepzibah, to answer your question, why I did not share it here, I don't know, I shared it on several FB sites, as did Marcel, so I thought it would reach the majority, will do next time :D

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

nilevalley wrote:Hi Hepzibah, to answer your question, why I did not share it here, I don't know, I shared it on several FB sites, as did Marcel, so I thought it would reach the majority, will do next time :D
:)

It would be a good idea to let people here know as so many say they don't/won't use Facebook. (So do then wonder why they don't know why x, y or z is happening! ;-) )
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

nilevalley wrote:
nothing compared to understanding life within the various dig houses……….
Interesting reply to the original post, A-Four. You seem to know your stuff. Would like to talk with you and exchange information.
I agree: Life in a dig house did have its ups and downs, but thus far I have hardly ever included these stories in my articles and/or lectures. Basically because, not being a scholar who’s affiliated to any University or (museum) library, means not getting access to their databases and archives. But that will change with the new team members we have been able to persuade to join. So, if there are any interesting tales out there, relating to time spend in a dig-house, we will find them.
Must Ask you something, though. You say that the Marsam claims to be the oldest dig house on the West Bank (which it’s not. It has been built from bits and pieces of the old Chicago House, but that’s all), and a little further on you write about the Oriental House on the West Bank. Which house are you referring to? The one that used to be inside the enclosure of Medinet Habou
Thank you for your kind words,

No, Oriental House, is now what they call Metropolitan House, though its like the hotels in Luxor, call a place by its old name, and it will save you a fortune on the taxi fares, or in this case 'know your stuff',....... if you get my drift.

After the First World War, Britain and the rest of Europe, had little or no money to carry on in such places as Egypt, so old money, soon was replaced by new money from the U.S.A., chiefly in the form of a man called J. P. Morgan., who initially floated up and down the Nile, often calling in to see his old mate Carter here in Luxor (WB). Carter acted as a 'fence', (When you meet the Dr on here, he will fill you in on the meaning of that word.)

Anyhow, Morgan was known to pay over the top for everything he could get out of Egypt, and would use Carter to authenticate many of the items especially 18th - 20th Dyn, therefore we see today in the Met in New York their very fine collection that was put together in such a short time.

Morgan extended the old house with his own money, but this is not really true, for a short while it was known as Morgan House, in many ways he was just like Davis. Old J.P. really was a crook, almost as bad as Carter and Wallis Budge put together. The real old excavators, such as Petrie were packing their bags and moving off to Palestine or joining the likes of Woolly in the 'cradle', so quickly such as Luxor became Mickey Mouse land, until the serious people returned in the late 1970's. Yet again, I wrote on this subject on this site several years ago, but most of this lot did not believe, so l stopped writing serious stuff altogether.

As you may know, after 1923 the restrictions came into force, from this time onwards, many of the Dig Houses became something else, however do be careful what you write in your book, even today, people are drummed out of Egypt for much less serious 'crimes'.

All the best,

A-Four.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

The activation on Luxor4u is automated, sometimes the email sent (to activate new members accounts) goes into their junk folder, If people have a problem with activation, they can send me an email to admin@luxor4u.com with their username and email they registered with, then I can activate the account for them :)

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

A-4

What is the source (provenance) for your "information"? Regarding such as Budge, Carter and Morgan; is it just hearsay?

Yes, it became much more difficult for gold-diggers after Tutankhamun, but why should we believe your other allegations?

Brian

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:A-4

What is the source (provenance) for your "information"? Regarding such as Budge, Carter and Morgan; is it just hearsay?

Yes, it became much more difficult for gold-diggers after Tutankhamun, but why should we believe your other allegations?

Brian

Second year student of Egyptology that I had to deal with on this site several years ago, is one thing, but Brian, you of all people on here, should as part of your past study in this subject know that E. W. Wallis Budge although highly regarded in the West, and one of the greatest curators of the BM in London ever known, was a damn crook.

One of the greatest items in the BM today, and at present is not on display is the world famous Papyrus of Ani. In 1887 this very same man, one of very few at this time who could read this fantastic work, knew exactly what he was holding in his hands, and 'purchased' this on the black market in a house, just behind the old Luxor Hotel. While he was trying to get it out of Egypt, he was actually arrested, and kept in the jail, for some time, but through his contacts was still able to get it out of the country. All this is common knowledge today.

Let me make it simple for you Brian, if you ask a taxi driver today at Luxor Airport to take you to Mina Palace Hotel, he would tell you it is no longer there. Ask the same question 40 years from now, the answer would be, Sorry there has never been any such place in Luxor,..............I think you see my drift here.

With regards J.P. and Carter, as I have already said, I have the proof, but I do not intend to write your or any one else's book for them.

Please, do accept my kind thoughts,

A-Four. :wi :wi :wi .

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Ah, so it is all hearsay then. :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Berniemyk wrote:Dear Friends, The lecture on the "Stoppelaere Dig House" on the hill just behind the Carter's House will be held at the Nile Valley Hotel on the 8th March at 7-pm. The lecture will be given by Marcel Maessan. I think it will be a worthy lecture.
Great! we will be there, get those glasses chilled and order some 'Miester beer 8%, cheers..... :cool:
'a happy digger'
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:Ah, so it is all hearsay then. :lol:
Well Brian,......if you type in....... Wallis Budge Papyrus of Ani ........to Wiki, these days I think you will see even they have part of the true story there.

HOWEVER,

I don't think you will find anything about J.P. or Carter,.............................yet. :wi :wi .

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

Projector, screen, sound system and microphone organised 8)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

BBLUX wrote:Projector, screen, sound system and microphone organised 8)
Meister ? bet they don't, ruddy stella again.... :cool:
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

All in all a very well presented evening, highly interesting and informative and of course built by my favorite architect Hassan Fathy... :cool:
Ps: for more info:
http://archnet.org/sites/2569
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yeah, if you look there carefully you will find his plans for a 5-star mudbrick hotel that was to be built in Ramlah. Just imagine the scandal if that had been built...and disintegrated into a pile of mud six months later.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

There are many references regarding the shenanigans of Budge et al, try starting with the letters of Arthur Weigall an ex inspector of Upper Egypt....... :cool:
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »