Egypt hosts films from 41 countries at Luxor Fest lineup

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Egypt hosts films from 41 countries at Luxor Fest lineup

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 am

Egypt hosts films from 41 countries at Luxor African Film Fest lineup.

Due to an unprecedented number of submissions to its third edition running from 18-24 March, and heeding last year's jury recommendation, the reviewing committee of the Luxor African Film Festival (LAFF) has decided to divide participating films into four separate competitions: feature narratives, short narratives, feature documentaries and short documentaries.

This year's lineup includes 55 films from 41 African countries: 14 will be featuring in the feature narrative competition, 10 in the feature documentary competition, 17 in the short narrative competition and 14 in the short documentary competition. The detailed programme will soon be announced.

Additionally, 12 films from nine different non-African countries will participate in the Freedom Films competition, the jury of which will be headed by renowned Egyptian writer Youssef El-Qaeed. Other members of the jury include critics Martin Botha (South Africa), Fathi Kharrat (Tunisia) and Ahmed Fayek (Egypt), as well as Egyptian actress Salwa Mohamed Ali. The Freedom Films awards are named after journalist El-Husseiny Abou Deif, who lost his life covering the Ittihadiya presidential palace clashes in December 2012.

Dedicated to the memory of late South African leader Nelson Mandela, the third edition of LAFF will also pay tribute to acclaimed Egyptian actor Mahmoud Abdel-Aziz and prominent director Mahamat Saleh Haroun from Chad.

The Luxor African Film Festival is organised by Independent Shabab Foundation, with the support of the ministries of culture, tourism, youth and foreign affairs, and in collaboration with the Governorate of Luxor and the Egyptian Film Syndicate. It was launched in 2012 as an attempt to strengthen the presence of African cinema in Egypt, as well as decentralise Egypt's cultural agenda by planning events in historically rich venues beyond the borders of Cairo and Alexandria.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/93481.aspx

LAFF Website: http://www.luxorafricanfilmfestival.com/

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Egypt hosts films from 41 countries at Luxor Fest lineup

Post by Bullet Magnet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 am

That reminds me, I have a copy of Riddick on my USB pen, so I'll hijack the good lady wife's TV and settle down with a nice brew,
and some chocolate digestives and watch it...

Plans for today have been abandoned, due to adverse weather conditions being non conducive with cleaning ones faithful steed, nor
wandering high up on the mountains of North Wales..

Anyhow,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/

Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators. Activating an emergency beacon alerts two ships: one carrying a new breed of mercenary, the other captained by a man from Riddick's past.

"Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators..." I feel that way sometimes... :cg

I call this Picture... " Me "

Keep's you on your toes though... :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am

For me this third installment is the best of the three, watched it twice already. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:48 am

It wasn't bad, but it seems that the injuries Riddick can sustain just get a bit too incredulous.
Tooth from some weird snake embedded into Kidney, pull it out, instantly lose 2 pints of blood, quickly push said tooth back into wound, then cortorise the wound with a piece of hot rock.... :tk
Love the Special effects though, thats what I enjoy about the movies... :up

AFTER that, I watched Rush.. Really good film based on Nikki Lauder and James Hunt, leading up to the year Nikki had that terrible crash.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/

I stopped watching Formula 1 after Senna died and Lauder's health and safety trumpet heralded a new safe and boring era in F1.
I like my hero's DEAD ! ! ! Not some rich boy's driving safely round the track, they have to bleed, and burn for their passion, or I aint interested, its just a show that went as rehearsed otherwise, where's the fun in that. ? ? ?

I still think my idea of using terminally ill people as drivers has merit . . . :tk

Getting back to the Luxor Film festival poster...
Mandela hijacking that Great Picture I found a while ago ?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Started to watch rush couple of nights ago but couldn't get into it so turned it off. As you, the special affects make or brake a film for me. If you want to see one of the funniest films I have certainly seen for a very long time, is one called Bad Grampa. [2013] 81 year old man finally says good by to his wife so decides to go on a sexual adventure to make up for all the years she denied him. His daughter turns up at the funeral home to land him with his eight year old grandson with instructions to deliver him to his father as she is about to go to jail for drug dealing. What happens on that three state journey is absolutely hilarious and the child deserves an Oscar for his performance. What makes this film different from others is that it is filmed with hidden camera's, all they encounter have no idea that they are 'staring' in a film. Absolutely brilliant. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 pm

AAhh BM you forgot to mention Riddick has the capabilities and tools to turn a lesbian into a beggar, still think the chronicles was better personally.
It is what it is.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Bad Grampa sounds good, That could be me in a few years... 8 year old Grandkid,, Erm. Oh... wait... Stop there.. reconsider.. :tk

The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black were probably better than Riddick, ONLY because by now you know the main character and his capabilities, so there's nothing new to discover, other than as Dsaxelby noted, converting Dahl (which lets face it, she was too good looking to be a carpet muncher, drinker from the furry cup.etc... :cool: NOTHING against that whatsoever, other than it narrows my opportunities, whereas Gay men, increase my opportunities )

Still a good film, and he gets off the planet, which is just as well...
Because that is what his co star from the Fast and Furious series and all round good guy Paul Walker did a little while ago,
only he left his mortal coil behind, flame grilled in the passenger seat of a Ferrari. So that ends that franchise... : :urm:

Life eh ? :cg

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

I wonder what are the exact dates of AFF 2014? Some wevsites qoute that these are 1-24.03, and some - that 18-24.03...Thanks for clarification cause we need to book airtickets...

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am

The board of Luxor African Film Festival finally revealed its selection for the 3rd edition taking place (18-24) March, 2014 in Luxor, Egypt.

In the Long Narratives Competition, fourteen films will be screened. They include Bastardo (Tunisia), Battle of Tabato (Guinea-Bissau), Black Diamonds (Mali), Durban Poison (South Africa), Dust and Fortunes (Zimbabwe), Horizon Beautiful (Ethiopia), Rooftops (Algeria), Imbabazi (Rwanda), Kadjike (Guinea), Kampala Story (Uganda), Battle of Tabato, (Guinea-Bissau), Yam-Dam (Burkina Faso), Mice Room (Egypt), They Are the Dogs (Morocco), Tall as Baobab Tree (Senegal) and Rock the Kasbah (Morocco).
The Long Documentaries Competition includes Aliens (Somalia), Ana Ana (Egypt), Angola Ano Zero (Angola), The Devil's Lair (South Africa), Emirs in Wonderland (Tunisia), Nana Benz (Togo), The River (Algeria), Small Small Things (Liberia), The Teacher's Country (), Touba (Senegal), Tough Bond (Kenya), William and the Windmill (Malawi).
The Short Narratives and Short Documentaries competition :Behind the Word (Rwanda), Haunted Souls (Uganda), His to Keep (Kenya), Homecoming (Algeria), Jours d'avant (Tunisia), The Other Woman (Senegal), Projectionist (Morocco), Shoeshine (Tanzania), To Repel Ghost (Cote D’Ivoire), We Meet in Peace (South Sudan), Wooden Hand (Tunisia), Welcome Home (Burundi), Sedhom, Elbostan Elsaid St (Egypt), ABC (Guinea), Anima (Burkina Faso), Au nom du frère (Morocco), Light and Dark (South Africa), Made in Gougou (Tunisia), Upright Men (Benin), Madame Esther (Madagascar), Sidhom (Egypt), Tao Tao (Burkina Faso), We Meet in Peace (South Sudan), Welcome Home (Burundi), Wooden Hand (Tunisia), To Repel Ghost (South African), ABC (Guinea), Anima (Burkina Faso), In the Name of Brother (Morocco), Azul (Tunisia), Erkie (Egypt), Lettre du Voyant (Ghana), Light and Dark (South Africa), The School (Nigro), Jambo Amani (Congo), Upright Men (Benin) , Reda ( Egypt ) , Jah est tombé sur la tête( Niger ) .
The International Freedom Competition will include Azu (Venezuela), Behind the Smoke Screen (Iraq), Bledo (Serbia), Fuelling Poverty (Nigeria), Logical Revolt (Egypt), My Stolen Revolution (Iran), Story of Mount Elgon (Kenya), Red Moon (Morocco), Black Page (Iraq).
The Official Out of Competition Section includes Diego Star (Cote D’Ivoire), Late for My Mother’s Funeral (Algeria), I am the film director (Egypt), Wavumba (Sierra Leone), Women in Politics (Sierra Leone).

http://www.luxorafricanfilmfestival.com/

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Shame that do not take a leaf out of that thing they call democracy and show "al midan" The Square, it doesn't say much for a society trying to become democratic... :cool:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2486682/?ref_=nv_sr_1
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Why don't regimes ever learn from history ? the last one banned The Yacoubian Building 2006 by Alaa' al-Aswany a dentist from Aswan, that went on to become an internationally acclaimed writer and later an international film.
Jesus, it's even dedicated to that old rogue Mandela, a shining example of 'how not to suppress free thought... :cool:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425321/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 am

Agree that the only Egyptian film to ever be nominated for an Academy Award, al Midan/The Square should be screened in Egypt. Its a no-brainer, like an Olympic medal, and a should be a source of pride. The fact that its not screened can only be the result of government direction. Governments generally over-react in this area because how many Egyptians would want to pay to see a longish documentary in a country where documentary making/watching is a niche market.

Like lots of other banned movies a ban is a sure source of curious patronage. In the case of this 'banning' it will send a very public message that Egypt has gone to the dark side and might paradoxically both increase takings and its chance of an Oscar.

The members of the organizing independent committee/Shabab Foundation (whose sources of funding are unclear) are film 'professionals' so you would think that even the thinnest backbone would lead them to screen it. Maybe they are just stooges which is partially confirmed by the overall small number of Egyptian films in the festival. Stalin never lacked stool pigeons in the arts to do his bidding and squeal on their mates. In this case the cinema professionals associated with this festival will continue the long slow decline of a once great industry into the propaganda or shallow comedy which is universally agreed to be the source of its failures over the past 30 years.

The fact, if it is indeed a fact, that Shabab is an independent foundation makes their gutlessness even worse because, whilst you could forgive a toadying bureaucrat, people independent of government have fewer excuses for implementing government policy.

Hitler that great persecutor of the visual arts, music and literature said:'when I heard the word culture I reach for my gun'

The Yacoubian Building was screened in Egypt to large enough audiences to justify a mini-series TV spin off which was 'toned' down by the deletion of the gay journalist character. Taking its screening in cinemas and TV as a measure of free speech at that time it looks like things have got much worse in the last 10 years. Most forget that the film was a scathing expose of Mubarak era corruption although I don't know whether this got into the TV series.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:58 pm

A further example of lock down on the contentious 'The Square' is the recent Egyptian national prizes for short documentary films.

The prizes are supported by the Catholic Cinema Center with funding from a US based family/Christian TV network which has outlets in the region so I guess one needs to be a bit wary of what they think good. On the other hand 2 of 3 prize winners deal with edgy issues including mistreatment of women which is surely a good subject for a doco.

None of the 3 award winners in the Cairo competition seem to have been entered in Luxor. Very odd.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 15681.html

No mention on whether The Square was a contestant. It definitely wasn't a winner.

On a positive note the Square is on the web streamed by Netflicks and has had 1 million streams.

The link below is a Q & A with Amer the producer of The Square.

http://www.thewrap.com/producer-egypts- ... ntroversy/

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:18 am

They all sound riveting.