Forty Supermarket.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:02 am

A nice clean supermarket will plenty of variation, a known fact that it's a little bit dearer than Ragabs or Kheir Zaman supermarkets but for little shopping it's ok.

Though tonight while shopping in there I noticed all the prices have been removed, I asked why, a guy said cause prices keep changing each week, I said that's why you employ staff, get them to change the tickets if things go up (or down), people hate going to the till to ask how much things are.

Just a small example from what I was buying tonight:

Fortys: 1.5kilo of friskies cat bits 79LE - Kheir Zaman: 74LE
Fortys: Kilo chedder cheese 65LE - One supermarket 55LE
Fortys: LM cigarettes 12LE - Kheir Zaman: 11LE

I don't mind paying 50piastas to 1LE more on a few products but a lot of things in fortys is a few more LE's higher than other supermarkets for the same product, if your doing a lot of shopping it adds up.

I'm sticking to Ragabs or Kheir Zaman in future unless it's just for some odd bits.


Image

User avatar
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:56 pm
Location: Luxor Egypt
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 752 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:28 am

Love this supermarket, good variation of food and constant supply of items. It seems that the stock rotation is practiced as well to good standards. Best place in Luxor to buy your fruit, the Strawberries are Yummy at the moment and so fresh, bought 2 kilo's there last week and not a bad one in the bunch.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Dusak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 am

I just buy my tin tomatoes and beans from there as the prices are good so I get six of each. As for the cat biscuits, they sell a 1.5K bag for the price you state, but KZ have a 2K bag for 84Le. same brand. The price of cheese has shot up over the last six months. I eat a lot of cheese, but have yet to receive a true cheese taste. The small blocks of Irish imported are OK, but about 27Le each which is just enough for a meal for me. The pricing structure of this shop has been a problem since day one and I just got fed up with taking half my goods to the counter for a price check. Also I object to getting a banana flavored chew stick instead of my small change. These must be the most expensive chew sticks on the planet.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4342
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2789 times
Been thanked: 5368 times
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by carrie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am

I bought strawberries in the souk yesterday and not a bad one amongst them and no doubt fresher than in a supermarket.

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11339
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3060 times
Been thanked: 4283 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:29 am

Trying to get my head around why anyone would be buying fruit in a supermarket when the particular fruit is in full season and readily available most likely everywhere you look in Luxor. Even more perplexing is why someone who lives on the West Bank would want to buy strawberries in a supermarket on the East Bank when there is at least one, and probably more, excellent fruit and vegetable market on the West Bank that is open twice a week.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Sdo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:50 am
Location: Luxor
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Sdo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:Trying to get my head around why anyone would be buying fruit in a supermarket when the particular fruit is in full season and readily available most likely everywhere you look in Luxor. Even more perplexing is why someone who lives on the West Bank would want to buy strawberries in a supermarket on the East Bank when there is at least one, and probably more, excellent fruit and vegetable market on the West Bank that is open twice a week.
Some people still prefer the option of 'one stop shopping' and if this is their choice then so be it. I prefer to buy fruit and veg in a supermarket rather than that which every fly in Luxor has feasted on having moved there from the horse and donkey s**t!! Same with 'open air' bakers..won't buy unless the goods are covered.

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

Dusak wrote:KZ have a 2K bag for 84Le.
I've not seen the Friskies 2kg bags for about 6 months now, seems like everywhere sells only the 1.5kg bag now.
Image

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11339
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3060 times
Been thanked: 4283 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:36 am

Sdo wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Trying to get my head around why anyone would be buying fruit in a supermarket when the particular fruit is in full season and readily available most likely everywhere you look in Luxor. Even more perplexing is why someone who lives on the West Bank would want to buy strawberries in a supermarket on the East Bank when there is at least one, and probably more, excellent fruit and vegetable market on the West Bank that is open twice a week.
Some people still prefer the option of 'one stop shopping' and if this is their choice then so be it. I prefer to buy fruit and veg in a supermarket rather than that which every fly in Luxor has feasted on having moved there from the horse and donkey s**t!! Same with 'open air' bakers..won't buy unless the goods are covered.
I have no problem with freedom of choice when choice is there - it doesn't mean that I have to understand the choices.

As for flies - hmmm - I have encountered them in the Luxor supermarkets including the one mentioned above - Forty's! Strangely though, although I have no doubt they were there, I have never encountered a real problem with them when shopping for fruit on the Qurna souk.

Perhaps shopping in supermarkets blinds folks to the conditions that goods are grown and transported and stored before reaching the shelves.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:56 pm
Location: Luxor Egypt
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 752 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:40 am

10.30am, today 40's Supermarket closed and the shutters pulled down!! don't know why...

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:10.30am, today 40's Supermarket closed and the shutters pulled down!! don't know why...
Hopefully they are in there re-ticketing all the goods again :)
Image

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Dusak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

DJKeefy wrote:
Dusak wrote:KZ have a 2K bag for 84Le.
I've not seen the Friskies 2kg bags for about 6 months now, seems like everywhere sells only the 1.5kg bag now.
You are probably right as I buy two at a time which was about three months ago. I bought a box of Whiskers from 40's a couple of weeks back as a change. As I was buying a few things I only looked at the recite at home. 43Le for the box! It was only when I read the box that I discovered that they were the ones that are called pockets, filed with meat. Cat's loved them but my wallet objected. As for strawberries, My friend gets them off the markets and at the moment they are mouth watering deliriously delightful and delicious. As for the flies, I wash everything that I buy eatable wise, even the per-packed stuff.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 am

Forty supermarket is still overcharging it's customers, and on many goods that are priced way over the top they don't put price tickets on.

12969

Last week I went shopping in forty supermarket with a female friend, below is what I bought and the difference in price from other supermarkets (Ragabs and Kheir Zaman)

Americana hot dog sausages: FORTYS = 32LE - Other supermarkets = around 21.25LE (saving around 10LE).

Big bag of Cheese & Onion crisps: FORTYS = 3LE - Other supermarkets about the same (no savings).

Skimmed milk: FORTYS = 8.75LE - other supermarkets = about the same (no saving).

Kilo of cheddar cheese: FORTYS = 63LE - other supermarkets = from 51LE to 54LE (a saving of around 10LE) FORTYS point out that it's a different brand and taste better, though after also buying from Ragabs and KZ I found Ragabs cheese the one with a stronger taste.

A box of Nescafe Gold sachets (25): FORTYS = 25LE - Other supermarkets around 19LE (saving around 6LE)

A 1.5 kilo bag od Friskies cat bits: FORTYS = 79LE - Other supermarkets around 74LE (saving around 5LE)

Some various 50 piaster biscuits: FORTYS = 50 piaster - Other supermarkets the same (no savings).

So just on one little shopping trip getting only a few items I spent 31LE more than at the other supermarkets, I could see this hit the 100LE+ mark if I was doing my proper shopping.

I asked to speak to the owner but was told they were in Hurghada, I went back a few times (no luck) the women I was with was laughed at by 2 girls that work in there (when she was trying to explain about something she bought), on the 3rd time I went to see the owners I was then laughed at by the 2 girls that work there, the cashier was rude to me too and told me that I don't know what I am talking about, he his Egyptian and knows better than I do.

So till FORTYS get there act together and do something about their prices and ticketing, then I would only use it to get quick essential items just like milk for example. It's not like they don't know about the problems, people have been complaining to them for years, but they seem to ignore all attempts from people to give them constructive criticism. I don't mind paying an extra 50 piasters (maybe 1LE) more on some items but 5LE, 10LE extra is a complete rip off.
Image

User avatar
Robbo70
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: liverpool uk
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 1186 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:03 am

Omar spoke to the manager back in June about the lack of tickets and variations in prices. He tried to explain the ex pats arnt as daft as they look :lol: and were very aware of the prices in other supermarkets around town. He also pointed out that with internet, they would end up being discussed on line and how harmful that could potentially be. The manager just laughed at him. I ended up leaving with a carton of milk and a bottle of pepsi as the other things I wanted had no prices. They probably lose a lot of custom with their lack of pricing.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

User avatar
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2541
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: Worcester, UK
Has thanked: 1184 times
Been thanked: 1263 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Omar spoke to the manager back in June about the lack of tickets and variations in prices. He tried to explain the ex pats arnt as daft as they look :lol: and were very aware of the prices in other supermarkets around town. He also pointed out that with internet, they would end up being discussed on line and how harmful that could potentially be. The manager just laughed at him. I ended up leaving with a carton of milk and a bottle of pepsi as the other things I wanted had no prices. They probably lose a lot of custom with their lack of pricing.
I doubt if they will be worried about losing the small amount of ex-pat and tourist trade still in Luxor. Or maybe the locals don't shop there?

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
Robbo70 wrote:Omar spoke to the manager back in June about the lack of tickets and variations in prices. He tried to explain the ex pats arnt as daft as they look :lol: and were very aware of the prices in other supermarkets around town. He also pointed out that with internet, they would end up being discussed on line and how harmful that could potentially be. The manager just laughed at him. I ended up leaving with a carton of milk and a bottle of pepsi as the other things I wanted had no prices. They probably lose a lot of custom with their lack of pricing.
I doubt if they will be worried about losing the small amount of ex-pat and tourist trade still in Luxor. Or maybe the locals don't shop there?
Brian the loss of 1 person is still a loss, which any business should not want. BTW: I know 6 ex-pats and 3 Egyptians that refuse to shop there now, and 2 other ex-pats that will only buy essential items only if they are close to it, that is quite a loss with the ones I know, I bet there is many more that I don't know who feel the same about the place.
Image

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:35 am

We are all stupid. Keefy keeps going in there after posting many a time that they over charge. Keep out for good. Folk say the left with just a carton of milk. Leave it on the counter. People go in and attempt them to change their attitude. Walk past the door. They moan about being laughed at by staff. Just say thank you to them for persuading them never to come in again. I go in now and again for my Irish cheese because the so called cheddar you now get tastes like plastic and not worth a fraction of what any of the shops are charging. I pay over the odds for my cat food cos the cats prefer Whiskers to Friskies. We should vote with our feet, but I won't because I'm not willing to cut my nose off to spite my face.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:30 am

I keep going (now and again) in a hope they have changed they ways and done something about the many complaints they have had.
Image

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Dusak » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:08 pm

In that case, I think that you will have to live in an eternal state of disappointment. :lol: Leopard-spots and all that.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Kymmy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: six months Luxor six months UK
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Kymmy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Forty as always been overpriced don't
Know what the end overall bill would
Be no changes there then

User avatar
Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6690
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Snitzel
Has thanked: 1475 times
Been thanked: 5301 times
Gender:
Vietnam

Re: Forty Supermarket.

Post by Who2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:24 am

Just went shopping and noticed for the first time Parmesan in Kier Zaman 300grms=53.65le, the same in Forty Mkt = 75le...Not the same quality as Parmigiano-Reggiano but usable...:cool:
Ps: In my local London Italian deli 300grms = 30.25le
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Forty Market
    by Sdo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 am » in Living in Luxor
    23 Replies
    279 Views
    Last post by Mad Dilys
    Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm
  • Just another new supermarket?
    by Dusak » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:09 pm » in Living in Luxor
    8 Replies
    225 Views
    Last post by Dusak
    Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 pm
  • New Supermarket
    by Winged Isis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 pm » in Living in Luxor
    19 Replies
    290 Views
    Last post by BENNU
    Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:42 am
  • Yarra Supermarket
    by hatusu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 am » in Places Not Recommended
    60 Replies
    2284 Views
    Last post by BENNU
    Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am
  • KZ Supermarket on TV Street
    by Assade » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm » in Warnings!!!
    4 Replies
    495 Views
    Last post by FABlux
    Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:20 pm