Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Barb

Re: Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Lu

Post by Barb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Dusak - 1, Glyphdoctor - 0 :up :)))

Maat
United Kingdom

Post by Maat » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

How to make Luxor attractive to tourists. The Governor should work and not indulge into control games with fishy persons. (Now it seems that as a newcomer he is kept tightly by the local figures and will dance to their orchestra. Expats are invited to accompany the show.)

If I were the Governor
first get out of the office or/and the car and take a walk and feel how it feels in the city, enjoy the noisy and unkempt streets. Try to use the ferryboat (remember to wear earplugs in case you are noise sensitive.)
Visit the Tourist Information Center. Does it fully function as the Information Center or as the expensive Internet Cafe and airlines office and the employment palace of 5 persons drinking their tea and doing nothing? (See that there are no leaflets or printouts with train schedule, bus and taxi fares, updated working hours of museums and open tombs names, same as it is in every tourist country when upon arrival to the airport one can pick up an informative brochure). Go to the train station and try to find one inscription in English there. Is there the train schedule and prices in English? Success? No success? What can be done?
Check the seedy spots which spoil the image of the city and find the solution.
Check how the Security guys work.
Go to the Investment Center next to the Governor's building and find there one paper in English or an English speaking person.
Clarify the situation with legal advise and appoint one local lawyer as the governmental body to serve foreigners.
Meet the lawyers, discuss with them complaints, make them prepare the fees for this or that service and put them on the web-site.
Make the first steps to the transparency and order, and do not hide your contact details from the people once you declare you are open for communication.
As to the Call Center, this is another way to put problems under the carpet, I guess, and steer the ship into the way of endless complaints and discussions instead of taking actions and instill order.
But may be I just understand something wrong. :wi

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Dusak-I was going to respond in a detailed manner to you, but bigots are bigots and you can't change them, so I won't bother.
No Christmas card then? :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 am

When the Governor called for diversification, I don't think he meant this style :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 am

Video of the governor's meeting:

phpBB [video]

http://elbashayeronline.com/news-319200.html

"The whole point of Luxor is culture?" Really, so the pharaohs buried themselves in the Valley of the Kings so you could come gawk at their tombs during the day and then go to bed early? That's the reality of Luxor, but not the "point" of its existence. Since when has nighttime entertainment not been culture too? Why on earth be opposed to nighttime activities that might keep the tourists in Luxor longer and spending money?

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Well a lot of local people seem to find some sort of entertainment they never go to bed much before 2am. What they do until this earthly hour I do not know, but it is obviously something that tourists do not do.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

I wonder what happened, there has been nothing since this, mind you it can be down to a couple of things, they are gradually making things tough so people leave, or there are no telephone booths to hold a meeting in Luxor.
The Governor and officials do meet the people, the locals tell you the stories, its a shame they do not understand them fully though.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:19 pm

'Flag costumes' - to a meeting - and we think the American's are vulgar and nationalistic. Why would you wear a UK 'flag costume' to an Egyptian meeting? What could be the utility?

Could someone answer the following questions (ignoring why aliens would want a special voice):

What or whom does the committee claim to represent?

How has the committee gone about recruiting supporters to back its view that it represents them? Has it been successful in this?

How was the committee elected and is it representative of the opinion it claims to represent? How would it know this?

What are the published objectives of the committee?

Are there any published objectives which define the relationship between the Governor and the committee or the overall agreed purposes of meetings?

My memory is a bit defective but haven't there been previous meetings which ended in misunderstanding between the national partners and rancor within the alien group? Didn't those 'misunderstandings' flow from unrealistic expectations, poor understanding of Egyptian objectives and 'representation' which was not based on fact?

The government is very authoritarian, hierarchical and bureaucratic. I imagine that in any dealings with it, unless you have real power, you would want to organize yourselves on similar clear, organized lines rather than those of a Church of England bazaar.
Last edited by Hafiz on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm

'Flag costumes' - to a meeting - and we think the American's are vulgar and nationalistic. Why would you wear a UK 'flag costume' to an Egyptian meeting? What could be the utility?
Nothing so crude Hafiz, we would not allow our national flag to be so desecrated, ;) it was an Egyptian flag (or several) :D

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Hafiz wrote:'Flag costumes' - to a meeting - and we think the American's are vulgar and nationalistic. Why would you wear a UK 'flag costume' to an Egyptian meeting? What could be the utility?

Could someone answer the following questions (ignoring why aliens would want a special voice):

What or whom does the committee claim to represent?

How has the committee gone about recruiting supporters to back its view that it represents them? Has it been successful in this?

How was the committee elected and is it representative of the opinion it claims to represent? How would it know this?

What are the published objectives of the committee?

Are there any published objectives which define the relationship between the Governor and the committee or the overall agreed purposes of meetings?

My memory is a bit defective but haven't there been previous meetings which ended in misunderstanding between the national partners and rancor within the alien group? Didn't those 'misunderstandings' flow from unrealistic expectations, poor understanding of Egyptian objectives and 'representation' which was not based on fact?

The government is very authoritarian, hierarchical and bureaucratic. I imagine that in any dealings with it, unless you have real power, you would want to organize yourselves on similar clear, organized lines rather than those of a Church of England bazaar.
Sorry Hafiz, I doubt there is a person alive that can answer those questions.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Surely that "commity" malarkey died ages ago?

Fun reading the old post though. An air of Lewis Carroll about some of it :lol:

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:45 pm

If I saw a meeting of Australian-Indians draped in Australian flags - or in the UK case, London Poles meeting government draped in UK flags - and if I was a governor, I would be checking the spare change in my pocket. Someone is trying too hard.

Surely the so-called consultative relationship is not about loyalty but its utility. The utility of the relationship (if any) is that the aliens can give representative advice about (always past) strengths, weaknesses and opportunities. Although I'm sure the Egyptians know all this backwards. Maybe its just window dressing - in this case in flags.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:22 pm

God people either posting repetitive subjects or now trawling around finding posts Tutankhamen stopped posting on out of boredom :!:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:09 am

just pointing out by what you call trawling through posts how things have changed in Luxor Bombay, by reading through this thread you will understand things have not changed but in actual fact got worse.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 am

Bombay wrote:God people either posting repetitive subjects or now trawling around finding posts Tutankhamen stopped posting on out of boredom :!:
Come to think of it, I haven't seen Tutankhamen posting lately.

Does he still have digs on the West Bank? Last time I saw him he was looking a bit thin.

Maybe he's taken a leaf out of MT's book and upped sticks and moved?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Major Thom wrote:just pointing out by what you call trawling through posts how things have changed in Luxor Bombay, by reading through this thread you will understand things have not changed but in actual fact got worse.
You know funny enough I don't need to look through old threads to see this I see it everyday :|

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Is that all you read into it Bombay, nothing about what's being done to improve things then

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Bombay wrote:
Major Thom wrote:just pointing out by what you call trawling through posts how things have changed in Luxor Bombay, by reading through this thread you will understand things have not changed but in actual fact got worse.
You know funny enough I don't need to look through old threads to see this I see it everyday :|
Well...some of us try (at least as far as forum content is concerned). :roll:

See the latest : Karnak Rave!! and Pussy Drone.

You just can't please everybody :cry:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I can only say Newcastle that your last contribution had a misleading title, I was about to rush out and buy one before I realised it was about a flying cat. :lol:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I have commented on Pussy Drone in actual fact with another use fir your deceased cat. Sorry forum members but I am not a cat lover at all. Had a nasty accident with one when a child, that. Put me off them.