Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Barb

Re: Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Lu

Post by Barb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22 am

Ellydeh wrote:
Barb wrote:
nilevalley wrote:When will there be a meeting for the Egyptian residents of Luxor?
I sometimes feel that the focus is too much on the ex-pats or is this just my idea?
The Governor has meetings with Egyptian residents every single day. Also half of the attendees last night WERE Egyptian.

Bad counting. 90% were expats.The rest where officials and maybe a few locals.
No Elly, most of the Egyptians there were tour guides, and friends of ours, not officials, would you like a list of names?

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 am

Tour Guides ? along with Caleshes drivers have done Luxors' reputation no good whatsoever, both hassle, both 'tear the arse out of their own bussinesess T.G's 70% they take on commissions 70%….that's just plain greedy and stupid. Caleshe drivers ? know no better…… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 am

Maybe a good form of entertainment for the oldies who visit Luxor would be Bridge Nights, Bingo, Tea Dances and things like that. You do not have to turn Luxor into a Sharm or Hurghada to appeal to people, but I do think along the lines we should make the place appeal to all ages.

I remember being a tourist and going to bed at 10pm like most did, due to the fact there was nothing to do. At the Hotel I stayed at the entertainment stopped at 11pm, but by 10pm when people had finished their evening meals they would just go to bed.

I remember one year a couple with 4 teenage children were there for a two week tour of the historic sites of Luxor, but at night the teenagers looked and showed with no uncertainty how bored they were, they used to look like 4 wet dish cloths sat down with their heads in their hands, when at the Airport, they were on the same flight home, the father said to me that he and his wife would definitely return but without the family, he told me they were bored with nothing to do except shop and drink coffee in the evenings, they all wanted to get out and let their hair down a bit, I said has a joke "And get blown out of their minds" he replied none of them drink alcohol, so I tarred the brush before before dipping it. :)

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 pm

This has never been a place of entertainment for the family, Margate Morecambe even Clacton kids get bored.
One other thing I was surprised how many East Bankers dared the Nile crossing at night, what with all, us wrouges and wraggabonds [sic] wresiding over this side.
Anyhow you'd never get the tour guides to bring there 'wabble as, where is their commission ?…. :cool:
Sophocles.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Who2 wrote:Tour Guides ? along with Caleshes drivers have done Luxors' reputation no good whatsoever, both hassle, both 'tear the arse out of their own bussinesess T.G's 70% they take on commissions 70%….that's just plain greedy and stupid. Caleshe drivers ? know no better…… :cool:
Do you actually know WHERE most of that 70% goes to Who 2? It goes to the tour company they are working for, i.e Thomas cook, Thompson etc. The tour guides are TOLD to take their groups to these shops and most of them actually hate doing it. As for the calleche drivers, maybe Ellydeh can answer that. :lol:

By the way, it was nice to put a face to the name who 2, and I even gave you a round of applause for your praise of General Hafez. :D

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:14 pm

"Bingo" in a Muslim country we could call it Mecca.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Barb wrote:
By the way, it was nice to put a face to the name who 2, and I even gave you a round of applause for your praise of General Hafez. :D

Let's hope the good general noticed!!. Brown-nosing comes to mind :lol:

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Anyone that concerned about what time the Governor give's to the Egyptians could ask him at the next meeting.
Outside of the occasional meeting with expats I assume he spends the rest of the time looking after their interests.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Quote: By the way, it was nice to put a face to the name who 2, and I even gave you a round of applause for your praise of General Hafez. :
In my book there's nothing like 'a bit of arse licking to smooths ones way in life. Also speaking the truth seems to be well received… :cool:
Ps: He was a great guy in Sarajevo and their s*** was worse than Luxor's by a mile. He was known as 'a Copper's copper.
And whist all this 'key-tapping I made a 'tea-cosy for my cold water tank, think thermals! cool……..
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Let's be honest Mecca has had no problems with, dare I use the term tourists.
Certainly theres quite a few gold shops next to the gold shops and accommodation is at a premium and at known times of the year.
Any one up for inventing another new religion Stan ?……….. :cool:
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:The latest version of the committee's origins in their own words said they came about as an idea of a group of expats, not an idea of the governor. The truth is we don't really know the origins of the committee because the committee itself has told so many different versions of their origins and selection that it is impossible to know what to believe.

I am an American and I am an Egyptian, according to the laws and governments of both countries. This is a legal status, not an ethnic one, but still when I am on Egyptian soil, I am an Egyptian, with all the obligations and rights that entails, with the exception of not being able to hold certain offices, such as president. I don't know what "liking" has to do with it. I have never had any ethnic Egyptian tell me "You are not Egyptian because you weren't born Egyptian," NEVER. I repeat, NEVER. The ONLY people who have ever said such a thing to me are British citizens living in Luxor on tourist visas. Which really begs the question, who actually has an issue about liking whether I am Egyptian or not? It's very obvious it is people such as yourself that feel really uncomfortable with the fact that I am Egyptian, for some reason. Get over it. Your country allows naturalization as well. I wonder how many ethnic Indians or Nigerians or Poles who take British citizenship and sworn allegiance to your queen you have spouted such bigoted remarks at?
Perhaps you have never heard the spoken words, but believe you me, they will think it and say it to other Egyptians [the genuine ones] without exception. You were born American, and you will end your days as an American, no matter what colour flag you paint yourself. One thing that I will never be until the day I die is to feel any discomfort whatsoever about your self proclaimed belief that you are an Egyptian, you can walk any way you ''like'' as far as I'm concerned. A bigot? This is the problem isn't it. A person creates an opinion and the only retort is a rather lame insult. As for the nationalities you name as becoming British citizens by way of taking an oath then yes, they have been granted British citizenship, but they were not born British, so can never be true British. Even if I had lived here for fifty years, I could never contemplate referring to myself as Egyptian just because I dislike my true heritage. True nationality is like DNA, it can't be changed to order.

It does not go unnoticed that most of the time you are highly critical of expats, as if you deem us to be lower than your black Burqa. Whatever we do/say you disagree with. How we choose to live our lives, you disagree with, our opinions, you disagree with. If we own a swimming pool, you disagree with it. You disagree with the comity, you disagree with the people on the comity. I find this most disagreeable.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Ellydeh

Post by Ellydeh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Nobody asked us to write down our name. If they only asked the Egyptian, yes then the % of Egyptians in the meeting is high. Can you understand this mathematics, Barb.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:49 pm

I think Barb meant that she knew each of the Egyptians personally and would provide their names if required. No doubt she would ask their permission first.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Plenty of entertainment in Bosnia though I hear! though I have no idea where Bosnia comes into the Luxor situation, apart from one person who knows apparently.... :lol: :lol:

Maat
United Kingdom

Post by Maat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Back to our camels... :)

Speaking of how Luxor could improve its image and drive tourists and residents back... Tourists and residents come to Luxor to stay n peace and not run between the Cornish and a police station.

What stroke me at the meeting was the unwillingness of the Presiding (the more so surprising as there was a former Police Officer of a high rank there) to admit that the issue with harassment on the West Bank is burning... as well as the apparent laziness of the Police bodies to make any efforts to instill more appropriate to a tourist area behavior of the West Bankers evident if not resultive. This is true that the police on the Cornish is there always in the shadow, seated in their dark blue car, whereas if they get out of their comfortable position regularly, parading along that seedy place instead of fraternizing with locals there should be more order. And peace for the passers by...

As to the gender issue... Local Muslemeen defend the public image of their wives, sisters and mothers well... We just stay shut up. Of course they feel superior and indulge into... ad infinitum...

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Ellydeh wrote:
Barb wrote:
nilevalley wrote:When will there be a meeting for the Egyptian residents of Luxor?
I sometimes feel that the focus is too much on the ex-pats or is this just my idea?
The Governor has meetings with Egyptian residents every single day. Also half of the attendees last night WERE Egyptian.

Bad counting. 90% were expats.The rest where officials and maybe a few locals.
I was not there, but I suggest that the officials may have been Egyptian.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:53 pm

"By the local Law any business should be run as a joint enterprise with an egyptian only, hence the trap for scamming."
Thats not correct.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:02 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Plenty of entertainment in Bosnia though I hear! though I have no idea where Bosnia comes into the Luxor situation, apart from one person who knows apparently.... :lol: :lol:
Col now General Hafez was part of UNPROFOR when I was working in Bosnia Herzegovina… :cool:
Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:53 am

I wondered what that was about, I missed the beginning of the speech, saw the General laughing and thought it was something to do with comparing Luxor to Bosnia. Where you a mercenary there then??? :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Dusak-I was going to respond in a detailed manner to you, but bigots are bigots and you can't change them, so I won't bother.