Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Gen. Tarek Saad El-Din says "We will establish a call centre in co-operation with Vodafone to receive all calls from tourists and ex-pats regarding any complaints. Visitors to Luxor will receive an automated message to their phones once you land in Luxor or even come by road to let them know the number they should call in case they need to."

The governor says "There are three pilot projects for solar energy will be implied in Luxor. One on top of my office. One on top of the library and the third on top of the conference centre. This will be the first step to imply solar energy more in Luxor including using it for all the lights on the corniche."

Gen. Tarek Saad El-Din says "I am interested in creating a new source of economy in Luxor especially manufacture the food we grow in Luxor including Sugar cane and tomatoes and maybe sell it to the nearest areas like Hurghada instead of getting their products from Cairo. Also there will be a new project for recycling beside the factory to build the first Egyptian tablet computers."
He also added that there will be more investment into creating sports events and more entertainment projects for night life in Luxor.

Source: Luxor Times facebook page:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Governor of Luxor 2nd general meeting with ex-pats in Lu

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:05 pm

This format (read the other threads too) sounds much more promising and professional.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:15 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:This format (read the other threads too) sounds much more promising and professional.
Well time will tell.

nilevalley

Post by nilevalley » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 pm

When will there be a meeting for the Egyptian residents of Luxor?
I sometimes feel that the focus is too much on the ex-pats or is this just my idea?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 pm

There is a group in Luxor called Luxor Baladi, comprises of Doctors, Tour Guides, Teachers and other non professionals, I think the Gov should also be having meetings with these people as native Luxorians they surely should be consulted.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 am

The fact that the meetings are in English makes it clear all the Syrians that have settled down there recently are not being taken into consideration.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:31 am

nilevalley wrote:When will there be a meeting for the Egyptian residents of Luxor?
I sometimes feel that the focus is too much on the ex-pats or is this just my idea?
The Governor has meetings with Egyptian residents every single day. Also half of the attendees last night WERE Egyptian.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:34 am

This was a very informative meeting, but got cold towards the end. No one can deny that this new Governor is not doing anything, he really has taken the bull by the horns and is working very hard to get Luxor back on the map for tourists and improving living standards.

I was really surprised how many people have the same thoughts on improvement to Luxor, regarding the getting of money on the West Bank, the fact that is it possible to carry ID Cards, the landing steps to the motorboats etc.

After the meeting I had a little talk with someone who knew me, and I did not know them, they seemed to have gone through similar experiences to myself, so we exchanged notes and information, in the hope that they could take the next step forward.

nilevalley

Post by nilevalley » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:56 am

Barb wrote:
nilevalley wrote:When will there be a meeting for the Egyptian residents of Luxor?
The Governor has meetings with Egyptian residents every single day. Also half of the attendees last night WERE Egyptian.
When was there a meeting like the one for the ex-pats for the locals?
I did nor hear of any meeting for the Egyptian residents on the west bank or meeting for hotel/restaurant owners and I'm sure I would have known.

Even if the half of the attendees present were Egyptian yesterday, this was a meeting for ex-pats.

I think the locals might feel that the governor has time for ex-pats but not for them.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 am

As his excellency stated he has only been in the job 3 months. "So schwia ,schwia.
Also there is a booming market and revenue for ageing ex-pats to relocate here, a point missed by most, because no matter if you build water parks and nightclubs the mass tourism industry has moved on. And…. And won't be back!
If I was a hotel owner I would and am thinking of retirement homes, that's where the money is.
I would also like to thank Christine and Breem of Sherherazade Hotel for their efforts last night.
And advise at the next meeting to wear thermals, it dose get cold here at nights as most right thinking people know…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 am

I am sure that the Gov does have meetings with Egyptians everyday, but I wasn't aware that you Barb had been appointed spokeswoman for him, are you now his social secretary.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am

carrie wrote:I am sure that the Gov does have meetings with Egyptians everyday, but I wasn't aware that you Barb had been appointed spokeswoman for him, are you now his social secretary.
You only have to translate the Egyptian news articles to get this information Carrie. :roll:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am

nilevalley wrote: When was there a meeting like the one for the ex-pats for the locals?
I did nor hear of any meeting for the Egyptian residents on the west bank or meeting for hotel/restaurant owners and I'm sure I would have known.

Even if the half of the attendees present were Egyptian yesterday, this was a meeting for ex-pats.

I think the locals might feel that the governor has time for ex-pats but not for them.
I think for 200 years the foreigners have been imposing themselves on Luxor. The people of Luxor never decided that they would turn their community into a tourist destination, it was Europeans mainly, and more specifically, British, who did that. In the 19th century, sick people came for the climate. They brought a railroad to get themselves there. Thomas Cook came in and set up cruises and hotels. They also came in and started buying up antiquities, and then started carrying out more scientific excavations to acquire those antiquities, and if it hadn't been for some Egyptians who decided enough was enough, Howard Carter would have walked off with half the contents of Tut's tomb as well.

Nowadays, "expats" force themselves on the governor, by dressing up in silly flag costumes demeaning to their own countries and force themselves on the governor as his advisees. They want clarifications about the legal status of their illegal marriages when they could get legal marriages. They want id cards identifying them as residents when they are tourists and don't bother to try to get legitimate residence visas even when they are entitled to them. And they ask the governor to turn the children of the governorate into garbage toting donkey carts so they can see clean streets. They set up a committee of themselves and arrogantly call it the "Luxor Committee" as if they represent everything and everyone related to Luxor.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against tourism or even foreign residents, but it's not that the governor is spending too much time on the foreigners, but that they are too demanding and expect too much from him and the country's resources. The more they try to set themselves apart as deserving of special treatment the more they stick out as people who don't belong. You want to be treated in an integrated manner, then stop expecting more than anyone else.

nilevalley

Post by nilevalley » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 am

Who2 wrote:As his excellency stated he has only been in the job 3 months. "So schwia ,schwia.
Also there is a booming market and revenue for ageing ex-pats to relocate here, a point missed by most, because no matter if you build water parks and nightclubs the mass tourism industry has moved on. And…. And won't be back!
If I was a hotel owner I would and am thinking of retirement homes, that's where the money is.
I would also like to thank Christine and Breem of Sherherazade Hotel for their efforts last night.
And advise at the next meeting to wear thermals, it dose get cold here at nights as most right thinking people know…. :cool:
Ok he is only on the job for 3 months but this is the second meeting for ex-pats and none for the locals (except maybe some smaller meetings like barb mentioned), you say swaia, swaia to them? I'm sure they have questions for the governor, it seems to me the locals are put on second place, this could in the long run be negative for the position of the governor.
Does anybody know how many percent of luxor population is ex-pat?

I believe Luxor will be touristic as long as the temples and tombs are in tact, retirement homes is not a bad idea, there are already plans for that.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 am

The above facts on the history of tourism in Luxor are a 'bit thin on the ground.
I have all the requisites for residency and would happy to be counted as such having chosen to reside here. But you try and get a residents visa without jumping into bed with a member of the opposite sex.
Also 'greed needs to be added to the equation.
But, I do agree that many ex-pats expect too much too soon and are not prepared to help themselves… :cool:
Ps: That should read travellers and not touristic, the writing has been on the wall a long time it's just no one reads it!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 am

The meeting was intended as the meeting of the Governor and the ex-pats. From the beginning the aim of the joint efforts were to elaborate the vision of the future Luxor and to make a road-map to the better future of the place for everybody's benefit (both locals and ex-pats and tourists). The Governor needed ex-pats as a way of think-tank to make the place profitable.

I found the 2nd meeting more satisfying.

If the populaton of Luxor wants to air their issues and bring their ideas, methinks, they may ask His Excellency to make a special meeting or a range of meetings.

Some notes.
Many understand that cheap mass tourism is over. The high-end niche could be filled up provided... (...many points fixed).

Luxor's future is much in the resort for retired Europeans as it was.

For that there should be a) joint inter-governmental plans for overseas insurance coverage or ???;
b) healthcare facilities ???
c) some forms of appropriate leisure for the aged persons and cultural events???
d) education to the local people in the area of domestic services (hospitality for individuals)???

P.S. Mismanagement has already ruined Hurghada. Many european ex-pats who tried to settle there some 7 or 8 years ago for the reason of climate were hoping to make a better life there. In the end they left, for the following reasons: a) pollution and noise, b) mismanagement of the city (uncontrolled development and construction and garbage issues not resolved, c) lack of cultural events. (There was a meeting of ex-pats 3 years ago in Hgda where these reasons were highlighted, I was present there).

No residential visa can be obtained without marriage of some sorts or having a registered business in Luxor as I was told by the woman in the visa office.
By the local Law any business should be run as a joint enterprise with an egyptian only, hence the trap for scamming.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
nilevalley wrote: When was there a meeting like the one for the ex-pats for the locals?

I think for 200 years the foreigners have been imposing themselves on Luxor. The people of Luxor never decided that they would turn their community into a tourist destination, it was Europeans mainly, and more specifically, British, who did that. In the 19th century, sick people came for the climate. They brought a railroad to get themselves there. Thomas Cook came in and set up cruises and hotels. They also came in and started buying up antiquities, and then started carrying out more scientific excavations to acquire those antiquities, and if it hadn't been for some Egyptians who decided enough was enough, Howard Carter would have walked off with half the contents of Tut's tomb as well.

Nowadays, "expats" force themselves on the governor, by dressing up in silly flag costumes demeaning to their own countries and force themselves on the governor as his advisees. They want clarifications about the legal status of their illegal marriages when they could get legal marriages. They want id cards identifying them as residents when they are tourists and don't bother to try to get legitimate residence visas even when they are entitled to them. And they ask the governor to turn the children of the governorate into garbage toting donkey carts so they can see clean streets. They set up a committee of themselves and arrogantly call it the "Luxor Committee" as if they represent everything and everyone related to Luxor.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against tourism or even foreign residents, but it's not that the governor is spending too much time on the foreigners, but that they are too demanding and expect too much from him and the country's resources. The more they try to set themselves apart as deserving of special treatment the more they stick out as people who don't belong. You want to be treated in an integrated manner, then stop expecting more than anyone else.
Although your points exist and up to a certain point are valid, you and others need to remember that it was the Governor and or his associates that asked for the setting up of this comity with expats. We were asked to offer suggestions and ways of improvements. Not only for the expats, but everybody concerned. To voice our opinions via this comity. Now you complain that the wrong questions are being asked, that it is all a collective of me,me, me or us, us, us. What is happening is what has been asked for. Continually bleating on about and bringing the sob story that the expats are dominating these meetings are a falsehood as those that attend these meetings are the people that are expected to attend. If Egyptians feel the need to join in, all well and good. But if the agenda or questions and answers do not involve Mohamed's problems with no parking area outside his shop, then as has always been the case in the past, he will know how to go about it.

If someone comes to my door, I'm first of all not obliged to answer it, or secondly, if I do, I am again not obliged to speak to them. No one, no matter who, can force themselves onto another person, especially one in a position of authority and power. You are an American, and will never be an Egyptian whether you like that fact or not. So therefore you are one of us, an expat by the very definition of your existence here considering your origins.

The spirit of adventure is older than the hills themselves. Sometimes it works out good, sometimes bad for the country concerned, but which ever way you look at it, in the long run, [the bigger picture], all countries have/are benefiting from the wanderer with a curious mind. $Billions circulating in and around rich and impoverished countries alike.

Let us leave it to those that are genuinely interested in improving the life of all concerned instead of the constant bickering and innuendos that are being continually slung about.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 am

The latest version of the committee's origins in their own words said they came about as an idea of a group of expats, not an idea of the governor. The truth is we don't really know the origins of the committee because the committee itself has told so many different versions of their origins and selection that it is impossible to know what to believe.

I am an American and I am an Egyptian, according to the laws and governments of both countries. This is a legal status, not an ethnic one, but still when I am on Egyptian soil, I am an Egyptian, with all the obligations and rights that entails, with the exception of not being able to hold certain offices, such as president. I don't know what "liking" has to do with it. I have never had any ethnic Egyptian tell me "You are not Egyptian because you weren't born Egyptian," NEVER. I repeat, NEVER. The ONLY people who have ever said such a thing to me are British citizens living in Luxor on tourist visas. Which really begs the question, who actually has an issue about liking whether I am Egyptian or not? It's very obvious it is people such as yourself that feel really uncomfortable with the fact that I am Egyptian, for some reason. Get over it. Your country allows naturalization as well. I wonder how many ethnic Indians or Nigerians or Poles who take British citizenship and sworn allegiance to your queen you have spouted such bigoted remarks at?

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:Nowadays, "expats" force themselves on the governor, by dressing up in silly flag costumes demeaning to their own countries and force themselves on the governor as his advisees.
Well GD the Egyptian people didnt think my flag costume was silly, they actually liked it, and thats what matters to me, not the opinion of some expats. We did NOT force ourselves on the Governor, it was actually HIM that asked if he could have his photo taken with us, this can be confirmed by quite a few Egyptian people that were at the event, and it was HIM that has called us in to his office to ask our advice and ask us to help the city not us asking for a meeting with him. Again this can be confirmed by the Governor himself or any of his staff if you care to check. :)

Ellydeh

Post by Ellydeh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:17 am

Barb wrote:

Bad counting. 90% were expats.The rest where officials and maybe a few locals.