East or West? Historic or not??

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

East or West? Historic or not??

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I have been considering which side of Luxor is the most Historic. could it be the East with its Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple, the Road of the Sphinx, the Modern Luxor Museum, or the West with the Valley of the Kings, the Valley of the Queens, the Hatchepsute Temple, the Tombs of the Nobles, the Pharoah's workers Village, Habu Temple, The Monastry, the Ramuseum, The Collossi of Menmon, etc etc. The only difference is the commitment to investment.

To me the East Side is the commercial side where as the West Side is the truly Historic Side, the side the Tourists want to be involved with. Any Comments please?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: East or West? Historic or not??

Post by BENNU »

Chocolate Eclair wrote: The only difference is the commitment to investment.

To me the East Side is the commercial side where as the West Side is the truly Historic Side
It is unfair that there is such a lack of investment in Djorfe City, when it is as historic as Luxor.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Ha Ha "B:" I would like to think that investment covered all the West Bank so that everyone who lives here benefits. It's not so much about change, but change may have to come, and personally I believe that once people see that change does in 80% of the time benefit people, everyone will embrace it.

I always has a young person used to try and resist change, but later and having benefited from change I used it to make sure my family were always secure, well fed, and happy.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

As for the true historical side then the WB is surely so more picturesque and authentic that there is no surprise so many foreigners were trapped here by the beauty of the Theban mountain and the green fields and the opportunity to enjoy sunsets and birds watching from a private roof.

The last year one of my friend came with her Cairo friend here for 1 night. I offered them an intensive cultural program (V of the Nobles, Deir El Medina, Habu, the Luxor museum, half a day swimming pool a GGarden, a 5 o'clock tea at the "Steigenberger" terrace over the Nile and watching a huge oil canvas there in the main hall (the oil shows the Procession on the Sphinx allay during the Opet festival). They planned to stay 1 night, in the end their visit was extended to 2 nights more and they did not want to leave...

Anyway, with the commitment to investment it is important to know regulations and Law as well as the actual holes in the Law. And the mentality of the luxorian who generally like to play cruel games.

With many stories of houses and lands being sold and resold on fake papers one has to think twice before limping.

One lady told me 3 years ago: "Upon my first arrival to Luxor I was given a nice advise to be ready to invest here as much as I would be ready to lose".

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

As for the true historical side then the WB is surely so more picturesque and authentic that there is no surprise so many foreigners were trapped here by the beauty of the Theban mountain and the green fields and the opportunity to enjoy sunsets and birds watching from a private roof.

The last year one of my friend came with her Cairo friend here for 1 night. I offered them an intensive cultural program (V of the Nobles, Deir El Medina, Habu, the Luxor museum, half a day swimming pool a GGarden, a 5 o'clock tea at the "Steigenberger" terrace over the Nile and watching a huge oil canvas there in the main hall (the oil shows the Procession on the Sphinx alley during the Opet festival). They planned to stay 1 night, in the end their visit was extended to 2 nights more and they did not want to leave...

Anyway, with the commitment to investment it is important to know regulations and Law as well as the actual holes in the Law. And the mentality of the luxorian who generally like to play cruel games.

With many stories of houses and lands being sold and resold on fake papers one has to think twice before limping.

One lady told me 3 years ago: "Upon my first arrival to Luxor I was given a nice advise to be ready to invest here as much as I would be ready to lose".

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think the West side is far more hysterical. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Surely both are equally as historical as each other. Both sides of the Nile have been of great importance for centuries, both having a major part in the making of history. Traditionally the East being the side of the living and the West being the side of the dead - but both have had and still have their living and dead. Surely the actual buildings/monuments have to a degree changed the relative importance through the centuries of what was/is of historical (and commercial) interest, dependent somewhat on who the major occupants - tribes/politics/religions etc - were at any given time.

It is interesting to me that the monastery on the West Bank is often mentioned as though it were the only one in Luxor. There is at least another one, possibly more, in Luxor. The one I'm thinking of is El Shieb (sp) out somewhere near the airport and yet curiously it never gets mentioned.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I believe that is the oldest monastery too Hepz and a lovely place, there are certainly more historic sites on the west bank than the east in Luxor but just because there are more doesn't make the west bank better historically, I think the balance is fairly even. One of the most beautiful sites in Luxor is never if rarely mentioned and that is the garden of the Winter palace. Not so old maybe but still well worth a visit.
I walked up Cleopatra Street today and looked down one of the side streets and saw a lovely little blue mosque, never noticed it before I think that many of us who live here often walk round with our eyes closed and often don't see the true beauties of the place.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

When I talk about investment, I am thinking of roads, infrastructure, reclamation of farmland from the ravage of building over the past 2 years. We in our village have rubbish bins, that stop people filling the canals up with rubbish. One of the most beautiful things about the WB is open spaces, green fields, the pace of life etc, much of this has now been swallowed up by prospective Construction Companies that are here today and gone tomorrow.

Over the past week or two, the water has been cut between 10pm and 7am, no explanation, maybe saving electric or diesel for the generators, but whatever, a tourist would not accept this. We have had Europeans staying in our village over the past 2 weeks and all they have done is moaned about not being able to shower, not being able to make coffee and tea etc. So another bit of proof that the infrastructure needs to be urgently looked at. Its no good attracting tourists to a place that does not have constant running water, or electricity 24/7.

Even the EB, surely where the Seasons Hotel was going to be built, they could back fill with sand, top soil and grass the area with seating etc, instead of tourists gazing into a gaping hole. Easily removed at a later date.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Quote:Over the past week or two, the water has been cut between 10pm and 7am, no explanation, maybe saving electric or diesel for the generators, but whatever, a tourist would not accept this. We have had Europeans staying in our village over the past 2 weeks and all they have done is moaned about not being able to shower, not being able to make coffee and tea etc.

Well what can one really expect when a mud village that has no infrastucture to begin with, then suddenly decides it is to become a 'city ? We havn't had a water cuts for months here……..:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

G I think its something to do with the fact they are upgrading the supply from the dreaded Ramla, anyway does the TARDIS need a water supply? I thought it was nuclear. :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

If you look work has been going on at the "Four Seasons" site for some time now, bulldozers are laying sand down and looks as though construction has re-commenced.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Have not been that way for about 3 months Carrie, maybe they now know something about Luxors future and are preparing for the 2014/2015 season, I am sure the local people will appreciate if that's the case, for it will provide work for many.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

carrie wrote:If you look work has been going on at the "Four Seasons" site for some time now, bulldozers are laying sand down and looks as though construction has re-commenced.
I saw them restart building 1 year ago or so. :o

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:roll: Ah! Another thread to lure us into the II&GW topic! :yawn:
Spoiler
Show
Investment, Infrastructure and General Whinge
What a shame, because a discussion about the historical on other points of interest merits of East vs West could actually be quite interesting.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Historic doesn't just mean Pharonic! Walking round the centre of Luxor on my last extended stay I was surprised by the many interesting buildings, disguised at street and first floor level by modern shop fronts. Raise your eyes - there are Art Nouveau,Colonial and earlier style blocks!! My small automatic camera has a zoom, but it's not powerful enough for good photo's. And of course the mosques of all ages, fascinating. Also the coffee sellers! The one I buy from uses a grinder that must be at least 100 years old

East and West Banks are equally fascinating for me, for different reasons.