The Committee

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Committee

Post by A-Four »

Being that my Autumn visit to Luxor is imminent, I take heed of what DJKeefy has written above, and therefore, as a GUEST in Egypt, I shall refrain from certain comments that l usually contribute to this organ. Therefore I may suggest that everything in 'the garden' is rosy, with or without the use of manure,..........

............and God bless the (1984) Committee, that produce so much of it.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

Well,... in my spirit (and only in spirit!) I am all for the General Hafez and any Governor (and a new government) who intend to make the city prosperous, clean (of all the rubbish), attractive to both tourists and ex-pats.

In the meantime the country is only heading to democracy, that means authoritarian rule will continue here for many decades (if not several centuries), it is impossible to expect from autocrats feedback, transparency or whatever we might be wanting of that kind. A kind smile with an invitation to a cup of tea does not necessarily mean equality of status.

(If nobody asks me, why should I bother to talk? They know better what to do and whom to use to promote Tourism.)

Any statistics concerning the number of ex-pats in Lxr the Committee could obtain from the Visa office. :cg

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I totally agree, as I have said, the sun comes out every day, you are in paradise, why be involved with these very silly things that some ex-pats think they are going to change.

Like I have said, else where for the benefit of Zooropa, just be aware of the greater picture, and not just the cocoon,.........simple.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

When he was in charge of antiquities, there was a steady stream of American girls, qualified or not, passing in and out of Zahi's "foreign office" in Zamalek working for him. Having a very good inkling about how said office worked from various sources (although I never set foot in the office myself), all I can say is it takes a certain character to allow yourself to get into such a situation.

Equality of status? Nope. Remember, this is the country where "office boy" is a profession.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

"attractive to both tourists and ex-pats." - why no mention of the actual inhabitants of Luxor?
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I think if the changes start to make a difference to peoples live's, and everybody see's they are, things and attitudes will change, people are always a bit suspicious about change, but if they start to benefit from the changes everyone will be happy.

I am sure the Governor is doing his best, maybe he should have come to Luxor much earlier, he is certainly in the mindset to improve things, and I say good luck to him.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

Have sent a request to the Commity 2 weeks ago to get in touch with the Legal Advisor Amera Gylani, with no response... Do not know what to do next, this Comitty is like smth. one can hear about but not something palpable... Totally virtual... Is that the rule of the game? 8)