The Committee

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The Committee

Post by DJKeefy »

After a post Barbara Clarke made about the Committee on facebook, saying
"The committee was the idea of the Luxor governor, General Tarek Saad eldin and they answer to him, so anyone that is criticising them (meaning the committee) is ALSO criticising the local government, so as GUESTS in this country you should really be careful what you say."

I decided to ring Jane Akshar, she said Barbara is just giving people a polite warning to becareful due to the fact the Governour has put the committee under the same decree as the local goverment and police to protect them, so if anyone makes any criticism of the committee this might cause a problem for you. I was also told about a well known woman that was deported over criticism she made about the police on her facebook group.

So it looks like the committee now has power over us ex-pats in where we cant criticise anything they do, most likely now most of us wont want anything to do with them if this is the case, I know it's got me thinking this way :(

Please (Luxor Committee) reassure us this is not the case.

Luxoritis

Re: The Committee

Post by Luxoritis »

Whether or not it is true is not for anyone but the Governor to confirm, good luck asking him lol. I wonder how much of what is said is true and how much is fabricated due to their personal feelings about some people. I see the same names cropping up on different pages regarding Luxor shouting out their venom at anyone and everyone who doesn't fit in with what they say. For some of them it is a way of life to be permanently derogative to anyone with a difference of opinion. I question their sanity!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I turn it around in my mind, yes criticizing the government might get some people in trouble. However, why would a foreigner need to get close to whoever is running the show in Luxor at the current time? Why can't they just live their lives without getting close to the men in power and praising them publicly at every opportunity, whether it be Dr. Dardery of the Muslim Brotherhood or General Tareq, both of whom have been besieged by the same foreigners?

I can think of several reasons. And I am sure the mukhabarat are doing their jobs very well to protect the country from foreign dangers.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A very good point here, from Glyph.

While many ex-pats in the 'cocoon' that I call Luxor, do not realise what is really going on in the rest of this country, they should be very careful, in Cairo over the week-end a very famous satirical star of television, who heavily criticised Mubarak during his final days, went on to denounce Sisi as a 'chocolate soldier' has now been arrested and the highly popular T.V. program has been scrapped, though it seems the media has not brought this to YOUR attention.

My advice is similar to that which I gave to Dusak, when seeking information on the warden idea. When I am in Egypt, I am very careful what I say, and trust only my very close Egyptian friends. I do know as a matter of fact, a number of changes that are happening, right on your door-steps, and you should make yourselves aware of these changes.

I say again, as ex-pats in Egypt enjoy yourselves, there is no need to be involved in matters that are directly in the 'hands' of Cairo, more importantly, like itinerate presidents of Egypt, itinerate governors and their official are of similar fodder,.........as for ex-pats, you are regarded as here to day, gone tomorrow.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I don't wish to criticise anybody, but having never met Ms B Clarke should I, bump into a 'scantily dressed bondage lady in leather hot-pants and a whip it's either her or that 'tranny calesh driver. Any help required upon whom I need to avoid ?.....:cool:
Ps: "Personally I am a great fan of General Tarek Saad el Din although sadly he has never met me.....
Pss: Sadly "you cannot 'beat a chocolate-bourbon and a nice 'cuppa tea at a committee meeting, or can you ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yep you can beat it, Jammy Dodgers and a cuppa tea, or if your very very careful, dark chock digestives dipped in the tea but you have to time it right.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IF what the esteemed Ms Clarke says is true then it rather kicks the schitt out of transparency, openness, 180 communication etc etc etc. Self serving Groupie of people with only their own best interests in mind and bent on forwarding their own agenda who would sail you down the river in a heartbeat if it suited them. It is all about power and control.

Wouldn't go near this Committee unless hog tied and dropped on their door and goes to show all the concerns I've babbled on about when it was first formed. No government would be pandering to a group of Expats in a single city when the rest of the country is so unsettled.

Since the Committee has the names of all those who attended and since recently there have been calls to gather the names and demographic info on Expats - are you all going to be called upon to SUPPORT future events and endeavors of the Committee and how will it be noted when you do NOT show up to support the Committee that was formed just for you? Does none support mean you're going to become persona non gratis?

If you do not show up in happy face when is this going to be noted and reported on to the Governor?

Seems the threat is now out there - criticize us and pay the consequences.......they'll be coming for YOU! (And nothing about this Committee and the personalities on it indicate they're not capable if it advances them)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No, it's about fear due to a lack of power and control.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

DJKeefy wrote:After a post Barbara Clarke made about the Committee on facebook, saying
"The committee was the idea of the Luxor governor, General Tarek Saad eldin and they answer to him, so anyone that is criticising them (meaning the committee) is ALSO criticising the local government, so as GUESTS in this country you should really be careful what you say."

I decided to ring Jane Akshar, she said Barbara is just giving people a polite warning to becareful due to the fact the Governour has put the committee under the same decree as the local goverment and police to protect them, so if anyone makes any criticism of the committee this might cause a problem for you. I was also told about a well known woman that was deported over criticism she made about the police on her facebook group.

So it looks like the committee now has power over us ex-pats in where we cant criticise anything they do, most likely now most of us wont want anything to do with them if this is the case, I know it's got me thinking this way :(

Please (Luxor Committee) reassure us this is not the case.
Be careful, DJK, that looks mighty critical of t'committee. :-;

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

To me the committee is a new thing, still in its infancy, time has to be given for things to happen. So hopefully now things have settled down it may stand a chance.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

We did get the idea of the manufacturing of a new chocolate bar here on the local news channels. As for the comity members, there are some good solid soles on it, personally known by me with bags of farsightedness and intelligence that do NOT have a personal agenda, only seek the chance and opportunity to better Luxor in general.

Dusak will not be taking up the brush as there are plenty of time to spare scrubber uppers here that are free. I help to keep Karnak clean by adopting a clean and healthy attitude to those I meet and greet. The pathways I tread are spotlessly clean. I have my own charitable organization that is enough for little old inconsequential me to attend to. If you are honest enough to freely criticize yourself, then you should be allowed to freely criticize others on valued points of disagreements. If you seek power, but lack the opportunity or ammunition to fire towards democracy and only have a very small and insignificant voice in the midst of a very large crowd, then you have entered an arena that such few survive.

The new Governor seems to be the breath of fresh air Luxor has been waiting for for a very long time. Support and care of the new crop is far better than sitting back, watching the fields grow fallow with disinterest and dismissive attitudes.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

" By judging all the time the way it has been done you are judging the Governorate.. and that is NOT the way to be possible representative. We are in Egypt as you very well know.. we are invited to join to do work together not to tell how Egyptian Governorate is choosing the people to work with them."

"Start up of the committee goes in Egyptian way -- WE ARE IN EGYPT. Maybe you should make your Own committee in your way.. if this does not please you. This is the Governorates way.. and that's it. there is nothing else to say about it."

"We have done NOTHING wrong..."

No comment.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I must say that I am happy to see this committee heading the way of all committees past present and probably foreseeable future.
Have fun, if that's your thing who am I to complain about anything ?......:cool:
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I must say that I am happy to see this committee heading the way of all committees past present and probably foreseeable future.
Have fun, if that's your thing who am I to complain about anything ?......:cool:
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

While I wish the committee well I object to the censorship of any negative comment as much as I do on this forum. If the moderators there and here have any reason to censor it is because they are trying to protect their own interests. I would welcome an open and all-inclusive forum to promote tourism in Luxor.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Am I wrong or not? it seems like a thin disguise has a threat, toe the line or be on the next plane! Cannot see it really, but like BY I really do not like censorship, if censorship prevails, no one is going to go far very quickly, and what seemed a good idea is going to go in the same direction has the Titanic. Lets hope its just gossip!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Hardly 'thin, but that's what happens when idiots think they have the 'ear of the seat of power, in a way that's how the MB fu***up, they thought incorrectly that they had power, power corrupts even if people 'think they have power.....:cool:
Sophocles.

Maat
United Kingdom

Post by Maat »

We understand the situation is crucial with profit but well... ..."to get ex-pats's voices" for the 1 year visa looks like a non-legal from the start and altogether dubious and ... cheap way to rule the situation which is to be remedied from Cairo.

To a good end there should a proper way, eh? :)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Who2 wrote:Hardly 'thin, but that's what happens when idiots think they have the 'ear of the seat of power, in a way that's how the MB fu***up, they thought incorrectly that they had power, power corrupts even if people 'think they have power.....:cool:
The expats who had the ears of the MB have the ears of the current governor as well. A sign of things to come?

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

A Vicar of Bray syndrome perhaps?
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan