Tourists flooding Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Tourists flooding Luxor

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Well we are now well into October, in fact another 9 days and we will be in November, and still no sign of an upturn in tourism to Luxor. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the tourist return, for the benefit of those who have invested in their business's and of course most of all for the local people. But like myself and most people have said "We can forget about any serious amount of tourism for this season. So where does that leave us, well we can plod on down the road that never seems to end trying to get tourists back or we or we have to plan for a few lean years to come or we diversify.

The tourists will come back eventually, but I have resigned myself to thinking no matter what we say or do to try and persuade them it does not seem to work, there is the FCO who rightly so, is trying to protect its citizens by saying only essential travel, there are the insurance companies who do not want to supply travel insurance to those who wish to come, some tour operators have taken Luxor from their destinations, and what used to be a 5 hour destination has now changed to a 9 hour destination with fairly high air fares due to the lack of competition, we also have to remind ourselves that those wanting Winter Holiday's will by now have booked, so we are aiming at getting tourists back on all the previous items and that will maybe end in tears for many. I hope not but I do fear the worse. Of course you will always get the hardened traveler coming to Luxor, or the one visiting their husbands and in laws, that's inevitable.

So we should be looking at other things before we attract the holiday maker back! Luxor itself needs a complete makeover, no matter what you may say it comes across has being down trodden, burnt out buildings, broken foot paths, littered streets, dingy shops, the total lack of facilities that the traveler likes, still the hassle the constant beeping of horns from taxi's (When they are now on the street) the increased abusive language by Taxi and Caleshe drivers, the fighting who will take who, we were in a cab not so long ago, another cab driver reached in took the keys out of the ignition and threw them away, now that's some thing for the tourists to see.. He did not know we lived here when he did it.

Holiday makers are not stupid, they see things we Luxor dwellers do not see, because we live here we turn our heads the other way, we get so used to it. look at all the fly posters up all over the place, many from elections getting on for 2 years, many of them tatty and ripped. Look at the shops some in such bad need of repair the tourist would just turn their noses at and walk past.

Now is the time to get on with these things, spruce up, clean up and in general make Luxor into a proper Historic City as we like to advertise it as. The traffic needs desperate control and on the spot fines should be administered for those breaking traffic laws, (If there are any traffic laws). Speed around the City, swerving in and out of lanes, going the wrong way down streets or on the wrong side of the road, they should all carry an on the spot fine, as with failing to conform to traffic lights. They would soon get the drift and more politeness and consideration will be born by road users. Has anyone ever had a vehicle stop for them to cross the road on the pedestrian crossing just has you get off the ferry? How many have looked the correct way when crossing the street, only to be almost bowled over by a motorist driving down the street on the wrong side. I mean to say who and why were the roads built, at the moment I cannot say, but its either the motorists or the pedestrian. How many people have to slip into an hotel to ask to use their facilities, due to the big lack of clean public facilities.

If the things I have mentioned are put to use and enforced then Luxor will become a more welcoming place, then we really can say that "Luxor Welcomes You"

But we really need to go back to basics, cover them and then go from there....

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Tourists flooding Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Spot fines for violating traffic laws? You mean bribes to policemen?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I read the title and thought I was going to read that someone had left the bath taps running in their hotel!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote: So where does that leave us, well we can plod on down the road that never seems to end trying to get tourists back or we or we have to plan for a few lean years to come or we diversify.

...So we should be looking at other things before we attract the holiday maker back! Luxor itself needs a complete makeover, no matter what you may say it comes across has being down trodden, burnt out buildings, broken foot paths, littered streets, dingy shops, the total lack of facilities that the traveler likes,

How many people have to slip into an hotel to ask to use their facilities, due to the big lack of clean public facilities.

... we really need to go back to basics, cover them and then go from there....
Finally, someone with a vision.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm

:tk And do not forget: Facilities for the Chinese.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 pm

As long as the FCO restrictions are in place, no charters or tour operators from UK will be sending their passengers by plane into Luxor.

As long as the FCO restrictions are in place, most holidaymakers will find they are not covered by their existing insurance policies if they decide to make the journey under their own steam. Some have already reported on holiday forums that Egypt and Tunisia have been removed from European destination insurances.

As long as the FCO restrictions are in place, very few tourists will faff about making a 6 hour flight to Cairo then having to wait around for a connecting flight (which by the way, many on here have blatantly said they're not reliable) for a couple of hours and so turning a single trip into what could easily be a 12 hour journey. That's taking into account the waiting time in UK prior to getting on the flight to Cairo.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm prepared to make the trip from Manchester next February, as long as the FO change their advice. I am definitely not covered by my annual insurance policy and my feeling is that I would be foolhardy to travel without it.

I have booked everything but my flights and I'm just hoping that the advice will be changed before Christmas. Here's hoping!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Good ideas CE perhaps you should email them to the comity.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:21 pm

carrie wrote:Good ideas CE perhaps you should email them to the comity.
;) I resisted saying that.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:06 am

NO!!! they will probably see them on this site and use them....

Hepzibah I hope the tap got turned off before the ceiling fell in on you. Like myself you don't have to read the posts, and like myself I presume you TV has a on/off button

I have not forgot the Chinese Bennu, someone, somewhere may find a Chinque in my post! :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 am

:tk ...I'm sure that I read this post before... My computer is an echo chamber...
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, it's the same old diatribe that we've all seen before! Maybe there should be a permanent topic set up under the title "Whinge of the Day".

However spot fines do happen here - ask anyone who needs to renew their car tax, when you visit the court, go to the basement, and pay any outstanding fines - I've seen Egyptians paying fines of 1500LE, and I've paid fines most times - between 11 and 70LE. These are for the reasons that Choc has mentioned. The police take the offender's number and it gets logged in their file at the court.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:I read the title and thought I was going to read that someone had left the bath taps running in their hotel!
Chocolate Eclair wrote: Hepzibah I hope the tap got turned off before the ceiling fell in on you. Like myself you don't have to read the posts, and like myself I presume you TV has a on/off button.
Exactly right Chocolate Eclair, and after the first sentence I didn't read the post. You are also correct about my TV having an on/off button - mine has been in the off position for years - although I don't understand the relevance.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 am

L in L, its noticeable when you pay these so called fines that some of the places you have so called committed an offence, you never visited before, so how does this one work. On my last bike i had a fine in Aswan for parking, but I had never been to Aswan on the bike, no one in their own mind would go to Aswan on a Dayun 150cc, it would be suicidal.

I did explain to the man behind the desk but he just looked at me with a A4 blank sheet face. It is an open book these prosecutions, they should not be able to do this without stopping you and issuing a NIP. With a NIP you will know yourself and have a record. Oh! NIP = Notice of Intended Prosecution.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

Kaiserbernese wrote:I'm prepared to make the trip from Manchester next February, as long as the FO change their advice. I am definitely not covered by my annual insurance policy and my feeling is that I would be foolhardy to travel without it.

I have booked everything but my flights and I'm just hoping that the advice will be changed before Christmas. Here's hoping!

I will be arriving in Luxor just before Xmas BUT that's only because the Turkish FO do not have a 'Don't travel' warning so my travel insurance, bought locally, gives the usual cover. Without insurance I would not be travelling. I don't want to get into the "is Luxor safe" argument, but for me - single traveller over 60 - the risk of needing medical care far outweighs all other risks. Just MY opinion.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 am

We only take Medical Insurance now when we travel. Personal possessions can always be replaced.
For us, as you Yildez it's the medical cover that is important over anything else.

At least some countries are not blocking travel but sadly I believe there are more that are informing their citizens not to travel to Egypt at the moment than those that are...
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 am

Each and every year since she bought her vehicle my friend is given a short/medium/long list of traffic offenses. She patently wades through them, giving detailed times and events where she was at the so called times listed, thus proving she need not pay. She has had to pay, or no renewal. When she bought the car, here in Egypt, it came with a fitted bull bar. She was fined for having it on her car as apparently they said, [the police] that they were illegal in Egypt. So why not remove them before selling if that is the case. At times I think that if you give a police officer here a pad and pencil, he automatically becomes far more dangerous than one with a loaded gun.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.