Village Life.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Village Life.

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 am

My grandfather who lived up in 'them there hills' on the WB for many a year quickly learnt that as a westerner, you never get involved with inter- family problems. Kidnapping was often a problem, and to my knowledge he only ever got involved once, which regretted for some time afterwards. It involved the kidnapping of a young girl, who needed daily medication. This deeply distressed him, as I am sure it would any civilized western person.

As some may know disability in most forms in the East is not viewed in the same way as we do, as far as most Eastern people see it, this child had an 'automatic' entry in to paradise, therefore in their eyes this little girls medication was not at all important. When a similar situation occurred some time after this, he refused, which caused problems for him for some time,........so please take note.

With regards to much of the present troubles on the WB, I think you find that the property effect is the main cause. Many will remember the sad days of the 80's and 90's when recession took hold many people, though very sad, placed the keys of their homes in the letter boxes of the banks. On the WB in Luxor, Egyptian people own property that they obtained by easy money, yet now for the first time, they realise they have no money, even for food, and can neither rent or sell their property. Therefore, I believe some are taking desperate measures, as we have already seen by others on here.

I have learnt that a number of people are entering into land and property agreements, similar to what we would call re-mortgage, but with out the paper work, this method that in the past has been such a problem for many tourists has now come back to haunt the Egyptians who first caused this mess.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: Village Life.

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 am

Only fairly recently have new cars been seen on the streets of Luxor and there has been a building boom.

This was caused by the banks offering loans against land. The young generation grasped the opportunity for prestige with little effort - it was Never Never Land. They only thought about themselves, easy money - repayments could come from their job in tourism.................... land which had been in family for generations was lost or reduced.

No wonder there are fights over land, it is their future as well as their past hope.
Smile! It confuses people

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:05 am

If you built a block of villas on a piece of agricultural land now it won't feed you. If you had left it as agricultural land, you would at least be able to feed yourself. Egypt has lived off of its land for thousands of years and some people just in their short term greed turned their backs on that.

When Iraq was under sanctions in the 90s, a new class of wealthy developed, the farmers. At the very least, everyone still had to eat. In the meantime, the university professors were sitting in the streets of Baghdad, selling their books.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:If you built a block of villas on a piece of agricultural land now it won't feed you. If you had left it as agricultural land, you would at least be able to feed yourself. Egypt has lived off of its land for thousands of years and some people just in their short term greed turned their backs on that.

When Iraq was under sanctions in the 90s, a new class of wealthy developed, the farmers. At the very least, everyone still had to eat. In the meantime, the university professors were sitting in the streets of Baghdad, selling their books.
Exactly! A few months after Hapshetsut I was in the market buying salad and the young man in a galabeya serving me said "You don't remember me madam, I am xxxx from the agency" I had never seen him in traditional clothes complete with turban and I apologised.

"What happened madam? I was earning a good salary, nice house, car children at school and suddenly - nothing! My cousins who I used to laugh at for working on the land are the kings now, they give me salad to sell for 25pts or I have nothing. What happened?"

I had to say "Six bad men came and killed a lot of people without warning, that was enough. Not from your hand of course, but that's life sh** happens unfortunately."

I left him still in shock and completely bewildered.
Smile! It confuses people

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Its a sad fact of life, but the likes of myself and others indirectly created some of the problems. We being ''soft lads'' with loads of money in our pockets raised the price of land probably twenty times its actual value. So this, in turn, raised all land prices. So as stated, money was borrowed against these family plots, only now to discover they are not worth the weeds that grow on them now the market has crashed and the population is penniless. But as in all walks of life, the banks will continue to prosper where mankind fails.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Well, growing on a huge land can bring food and prosperity, but not on small spots (of 1 ot 2 feddans), which most here have.
In the world world with that mush of a polulation growth it is only the more proportionate distribution of wealth and new technologies that can help.

The actual issue: the rich want to get richer and squiz the poor even more (there is nothing to squiz any more, though); the new technologies are not so available cause still there is a lot of oil (to squiz from the Earth) :) :(

So now the main game is all about charity or wars.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 pm

My not so little mud shack started at 150 thousand le, four years of him going up and me saying 'no it goes down, I gave him 70 thousand, a year later I found out he paid 8 thousand le 2 years prior but never moved in.
Even the old grannies said 'fair price george egyptian price, but everyone is happy....it's public knowledge in the village how much I paid always has been. 'village life' 'coffee shop chat'...her next doors sister's husband Abu Ali got 15 days for chucking a brick at a copper last mini riot!...la whaala...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Who2 wrote:My not so little mud shack started at 150 thousand le, four years of him going up and me saying 'no it goes down, I gave him 70 thousand, a year later I found out he paid 8 thousand le 2 years prior but never moved in.
... everyone is happy....:cool:
:wi You saw the possibilities. :ks