Visa's! how do we live?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Visa's! how do we live?

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:26 am

It was said that the reason we only get a 6 month visa is because the system is getting abused, by people getting a 12 month visa and then working without permission. How can this be so? employers know if we have a work permit, or they should know! So it seems as though some of us are getting the blame for unscrupulous employers. I know that many are married to local people and this may make those that work exempt. But the problem seems to be more in Cairo.

In Luxor the virtually all of us have incomes from pensions etc. some get more than others depending on if they get state pensions or private pensions, and therefore can live in a relatively good standard. In Hurghada it is still the case where you can get a 12 month visa, is that because they are desperate in Hurghada to get work staff.

No matter what it seems as though its the people that are stopping 12 month visa's. I know of no one working in Luxor and only holding a 6 month visa, and this being the case, why have we been unceremoniously dumped with a 2 x 6 month visas every year, of which the first 6 months of the year cost 30 le cheaper than the second month.

Things do not add up!! There is also the fact, if we have vehicles the registration of the vehicle is only for the length of the visa, along with the Egyptian Driving License. So not only do we pay twice for the visa, we pay twice for the vehicle registration and twice for the driving license.

I would like to make it clear that an international license is only valid for 6 months, and really by rights without an Egyptian License following 6 months you are not legally allowed to drive. I do think this gets wavered in many cases due to the fact Europeans are taught to drive properly and safely, and we have to pass a stringent test before we are issued with a full license. Not a case of can you reverse or find a gear. I seriously believe that this is stopping people investing in Luxor, by either buying property, investing in their business, starting a business, etc etc. You may say no its not, its the fact that there are no tourists. Well my answer to that is are we likely to get tourists when the people that try to help the tourism situation get slated? Therefore, where do we go? where do homeowners go? are they feeling secure after investing so much in property, to be given 6 month visa's, are the business people after investing so much money going to invest more or expand their business's? to be given 6 month visa's. I think the answer is obvious. Those that have invested or in fact want to invest will no longer be so keen to put more money forward.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Visa's! how do we live?

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:04 am

1-Employers shouldn't just know if someone has a work permit. Since all work permits are granted via employers and are good only for that employer, then they always will know.
2-Marriage to an Egyptian does not give one the right to work. A visa based on marriage does not give one the right to work. It only gives one permission to reside in Egypt. Work permissions are still granted via the employer.
3-That said, although I think refugees may have a different rule, otherwise no foreigner with anything less than a bachelor's degree is legally entitled to a work permit because that is part of the requirements making someone eligible for one. With that information alone you can identify a lot of people who must not have work permits.
4-I don't know about driving licenses for those here on tourist visas but I do know that those with legal work permits get the usual license of 10 years granted to Egyptians or at least they did 10 years ago as I remember once Kent Weeks coming into the office and proudly declaring he had obtained another 10 year driver's license even though he was here on a 1 year renewable visa with a work permit.
5-I'm not sure what you mean for international permits being only good for six months. Do you mean the Egyptian authorities only recognize it for six months after you enter the country? International driving permits are normally valid in and of themselves for one year (or at least the one I get from the Egyptian Automobile Club when I travel abroad is good for one year, perhaps UK issues for a shorter period?).
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:It was said that the reason we only get a 6 month visa is because the system is getting abused, by people getting a 12 month visa and then working without permission..
Why give 6 months then if it's due to people working, they can still work illegally on that :roll:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:36 am

I once researched it and I think at most 1 or 2 other countries in the world besides Egypt issue tourist visas for more than 180 days in the entire world.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 am

Yes, Glyph's right about driving licences - when I got mine, it was for 10 years - still have 2 to run!

But not to worry, as I hear the 12month visa has returned to Luxor.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:47 am

I am repeating what and why visa's have dropped to 6 months, was explained at the last governors meeting.

Regarding International license's they are normally issued by the post office in the UK, and when talking to people they are only supposed to be valid in Egypt for 6 months due to Egypt not being a EU member. I am sure I am right in saying in the EU they are valid for 12 months.

You will know more about this than me Glyph regarding work permits, I do not hold one and have no need for one, it was my intention to apply for one and with my partner set up a business, but we decided against investing a) when the visa's dropped to 6 months, we felt that the amount we were intending investing was insecure, b) the amount of things you had to do and the amount of under the table payments you had to make so frustrating, that the risk and the work involved, was just not worth it.

When I set my company up in the UK,and the opportunity was open to all, it was a case of paying 47 Stirling, and withing 10 days your Shareholder Certificates were sent to you, your Company was registered with Companies House, and your Tax Certificates were registered with the Tax Authorities. It was that simple. When we went into it in Egypt we found out it would be between 1 and 2 years to be completely valid, this was not acceptable to us, even though they said we could start trading when the papers had been lodged. To me this was a bit risky, who was to say that the business would be thoroughly valid even after the 1 - 2 years, there was no certainty. We did expect complications but did not expect the complications and the risks we were being asked to undertake. We even sent e-mails to the Luxor Chamber of Tourism, but they all went unanswered. So for us its a case of now just sitting back relaxing and taking the days has they are thrown at us, and enjoying our retirement, even though it would have been nice to have had the challenge of running a business, employing local people and being busy. It was a pity really because what we intended to do would have been the first of its kind in Luxor and eventually would have provided work for local people. Now I just do bits and bobs for former contractors in the UK, OK it means having to pay income tax etc but it does keep my mind active and keeps me in with modern developments.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 am

We renewed ours Thursday L in L for 6 MONTHS. So they may eventually return but up to yesterday they had not

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:49 am

I agree with what you say Keefy, and when we were told the reason, I for one could not understand it.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:
You will know more about this than me Glyph regarding work permits, I do not hold one and have no need for one, it was my intention to apply for one and with my partner set up a business, but we decided against investing a) when the visa's dropped to 6 months, we felt that the amount we were intending investing was insecure, b) the amount of things you had to do and the amount of under the table payments you had to make so frustrating, that the risk and the work involved, was just not worth it.
A work permit grants you the right to work for an employer as an employee. Not to run a business that you own yourself. That's another matter about which I am not familiar. Perhaps Bombay can comment on that.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 am

I still have a UK business Glyph, although not doing too much it keeps my mind active while my son looks after it.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:31 am

According to my FB page, a British expat lady that lives here that I know got her twelve month visa 3/4 days ago. Perhaps it was a case of 'if the face don't fit' in your case if you were refused yesterday, or the [comity] or your [committee] canceled it.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm

I must go back tomorrow and ask for an extension.....

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Could it not be the case (as I have believed to be pretty much all along) that the visa office do things on a case by case scenario. Maybe it's that 6 months visa is the norm in reality but for a long time many were able to gain 12 months visa's for what ever reason. Even during the last couple of years I have heard of some individuals stating that they have been given a 12 months visa - only in one case did I later discover that the person concerned was bragging and lying to try to cause a rumpus with others. Let's face it, no matter how long the time on the actual visa it doesn't bestow right to stay in the country, so whilst it's a necessary legal document to obtain it's also one that can easily be revoked.

:gb:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote: Even during the last couple of years I have heard of some individuals stating that they have been given a 12 months visa - only in one case did I later discover that the person concerned was bragging and lying to try to cause a rumpus with others.
Picks jaw up off floor. Seriously, if that is all you have to show for your happy/successful life in Luxor is the length of your TOURIST visa (or in this case the pretend length of your visa), it's time to voluntarily leave and find another place where you can achieve something, anything, that it is actually worth bragging about. Is it that all expats are just so miserable and underacheiving that they don't notice how what they consider achievements aren't really achievements at all because compared to their frame of reference a 12 month visa is like discovering a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow?

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Topic: Question :"Visa's! how do we live?
Rambo 1. "day by day john, day by day".........:cool:
Ps: I lie all the time, people say 'this or that cost something, I always retaliate with a lower price £ £ £, always have done always will, it's not bragging it's having a laugh at others expense..
Last edited by Who2 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Visa's! how do we live?

I suppose the obvious answer to the lead question is...

By fulfilling a criteria that negates the need to be on continued extended tourists visa's thus reducing the six month to yearly stress and repeated questions!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:11 pm

What would I do without that 6 monthly visit to my 'girlfriend, it's a great day in my calendar, 'pop round round to chat with old mr Aboudi, do your shopping spends loads of money in a posh hotel bar reading an Aboudi book, boat collects you and your shopping from the hotel. Home by 2.pm, moan moan moan, take her a present get wise...
Oh! and in some way it helps this economy, and keeps you from thinking you are a universe when really you are a peanut.
President Carter...."not I...:cool:
Ps: the hotel will even chill your shopping and carry it to the Nile, bless them. just remember' slip them a 10 you'll be back in 6 months they remember....
Last edited by Who2 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 pm

"Visas! How do we live?" I can't help but think all those Africans and Syrians who drown on their way to Lampedusa ask the same question before setting out on their final journey.

You live by being grateful for the fact you are given permission and can afford to live in a place that many of the locals are spending their life savings and risking their lives to leave.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:22 pm

To make my visa day even more of an event.... I could attempt to swim the Nile W-E, I'd need to start at the bridge to end up at St George Sonesta, what do you think ?
Mind you I also have a 'wikeed kayak 11758............:cool:
Sophocles.

Glory

Post by Glory » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:51 pm

The International Driving Permit which I possess for Egypt, states quite clearly 'Valid for One Year from date of issue'.