Kidnapping on West Bank?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Kidnapping on West Bank?

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

RS these things have been going on for ages, even when tourism was at its height, it did not have anything to do with tourists and I for one have never heard of a tourist getting kidnapped on the West Bank, this is normally a thing that happens when people get desperate for cash and choose a family to get money from. Normally the request for ransom is high to start and later comes down to a pittance of the initial demand just to put meat on the table. it has even been suggested that these incidents happen between family relations, one side having more cash than the other, so the kidnap their in law to extort money from the richer side of the family.

I cannot on the video think I mentioned these kidnappings, but we all have a duty to promote Luxor. I have no trouble if you think this should not be done at all, and it obviously sounds like that RS. OK I got a lot of stick for the video but it was mainly from the people that had not thought of the idea in the first place, but I also got praise from people who have Luxor at their heart. The events of this posting has nothing to do with tourists, its a common inter family or tribal thing if you want to put it another way.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:16 pm

When a protest about the kidnapping blocks the road that tourists use to access archaeological sites, then it does impact them. It's all much more complex than "political protests to remove the current regime=threat to tourists."

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Personally, I am tired of reading/hearing 'It's not against tourists.' 'It's local problems it doesn't affect tourists.' etc.
Some of these 'local' problems have affected tourists, as already mentioned e.g. roads blocked and not being able to get to visit sites. However, we should be thankful that to date, as far as we are aware, there has been no incident in which [foreign] tourists - or expats - have been kidnapped, seriously injured or killed. The potential for it happening is becoming greater than not in my opinion.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm

You lot don't realise, it was just as big if not bigger twenty years ago, then the locals didn't talk to anybody about anything, no mobile phones, internet, bet you never heard about any of what went on when tompson's et al once inhabited the cornice.
It took 2 days before I learnt of 20 people drowning in the Nile,
Why should tourists be informed, is it their 'godgiven right in this internet age ?
They understand little of this Country it's tribes and customs.
The West Bank villages (tribes) have lived here for a long time and it worked.....:cool:
Ps: intervillagefraction didn't just start with belzoni hiring local village workforce.....
Last edited by Who2 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 pm

These two tough bedu when not working for British Intelligence, Bin Kabina 19 years old & Bin Ghabaisha 22 years old went robbing villages for their camels and stealing their women. And these guys were honoured by His Majesties Government.
It's a way of life here, besides bending one's knee 5 times a day.
If you look at Ramla in Kartoum 1966 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060588/?re ... lmg_act_47
there are no houses and I'll bet no expat in Ramla knows which village the 'locals stem from...:cool:
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Who2 wrote:You lot don't realise, it was just as big if not bigger twenty years ago, then the locals didn't talk to anybody about anything, no mobile phones, internet, bet you never heard about any of what went on when tompson's et al once inhabited the cornice.
It took 2 days before I learnt of 20 people drowning in the Nile,
Why should tourists be informed, is it their 'godgiven right in this internet age ?
They understand little of this Country it's tribes and customs.
The West Bank villages (tribes) have lived here for a long time and it worked.....:cool:
Ps: intervillagefraction didn't just start with belzoni hiring local village workforce.....
Exactly right Dr, so often especially where a loan had not been paid, a child would often be 'kidnapped' until the debt was paid, plus interest being, board and keep for each day the child was kept. A common thing throughout the Arab world.

Its nice to see on here today local problems from the Doctor and Dusak, that really are about the culture and true life of where you live, and help others understand REAL life in Egypt.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Who2 wrote:These two tough bedu when not working for British Intelligence, Bin Kabina 19 years old & Bin Ghabaisha 22 years old went robbing villages for their camels and stealing their women. And these guys were honoured by His Majesties Government.
It's a way of life here, besides bending one's knee 5 times a day.
If you look at Ramla in Kartoum 1966 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060588/?re ... lmg_act_47
there are no houses and I'll bet no expat in Ramla knows which village the 'locals stem from...:cool:
Lifted straight out of Wilfred Thesiger's book, Who! And they weren't Egyptian Bedu either!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

The latest kidnapping involves an adult male on the West Bank who runs a pizza parlor. He was taken while delivering a pizza. And his wife is Korean. They are demanding 2 million ransom.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I am honestly now wondering how long it will be before the victim will be an expat! :(

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:53 pm

@RS - my thoughts exactly. I'm thinking the kidnappers are not overly sophisticated in that if they grabbed an Expat they wouldn't really know how to reach the extended family to solicit funds. Even if they did manage to reach extended family who were actually willing to pay to have a not so loved one returned ( :urm: returned where to Luxor cause they're not in the UK anyway?) the actual hand over of cold hard piasters wouldn't be easy.....unless the Expat themself was marched to an ATM, plastic card in hand and forced to withdraw their own ransom.

That thought in mind how many Expats have pre-determined daily limits on their account? Wouldn't be able to pay the Kidnappers off all in one fell swoop. Think on it - the Expat could last out years making the trek every day to withdraw their own ranson........probably wear the poor kidnappers out.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm

What a load of tosh, kidnapping a Ramla ex-pat, where's the profit it that ? It would only bring the heat down on everybody ?
Listen peeps! it's a local thing, it's a tribal thing, the pizza kid was from Bairat and the Girl was from Gourna, she lives 200 yards from my house.
They don't cut peoples ears off like in the west for 'proof of life.....:cool:
Ps: Also let it be known locally you have a large gun.....
Pss: Did I intimate they were Egyptian, I could have said the picture was taken in Oman but only a literary dilettanti would know that.
Sophocles.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:26 am

s: Did I intimate they were Egyptian, I could have said the picture was taken in Oman but only a literary dilettanti would know that.

Oh George! You've made my day! 'A literary dilettanti!' That's the first time I've been called that! I will treasure the phrase! :ks :))) :)))

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 am

From today's Independent.....:cool:

Caracas
Between 2008 and 2009, the National Institute of Statistics in Venezuela estimated that there were a staggering 16,917 kidnaps nationwide. These findings were suppressed by the government, but not before they were leaked to the Venezuelan press.

Whatever the real figure, one thing is certain: Caracas is in the grip of a kidnap crisis. Whether it’s for a few hours tied up in the back of their own car, or taken hostage for days, weeks or even months in a slum safe-house, dozens of people are being kidnapped in the city every month.
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:43 am

In 2012 in Mexico there were 105,682 reported kidnappings. The security forces say they are expecting an increase for the 2013 figures. :td
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 pm

:urm: But then I guess that anyone considering visiting Luxor or anywhere else in Egypt isn't too worried about the Kidnapping statistics of Mexico, Venezuela ...or greater Manchester UK come to that!
-Aldous Huxley

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Being a tourist in Mexico and being kidnapped and walked daily to an ATM to withdraw all your money 'til gone IS a DEFINITE downside to travel to Mexico as it IS a stark reality and IS happening daily. Just hope it doesn't catch on in Egypt and/or Luxor.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:23 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote::urm: But then I guess that anyone considering visiting Luxor or anywhere else in Egypt isn't too worried about the Kidnapping statistics of Mexico, Venezuela ...or greater Manchester UK come to that!
That was my point. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Dusak wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote::urm: But then I guess that anyone considering visiting Luxor or anywhere else in Egypt isn't too worried about the Kidnapping statistics of Mexico, Venezuela ...or greater Manchester UK come to that!
That was my point. :cg
Then be impressed that I got it! :)
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Dateline West Bank Thebes.....1430hrs
Sitting in my water garden just now with Sabra village 'omda necking red wine.
Noisy car goes by on top road I said, "marriage ? he said "No 10 year old girl just kidnapped from gezira bairat going to gourna roads will be shut tomorrow'..."la whaala, he laughed....:cool:
Sophocles.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Omar is currently trying to figure out how much the kidnappers would pay to send me back :)
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated